workouts

Were can I find workouts for men over 50?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    What is it about being over 50 that makes one need special workouts?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Internet.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    What do you want to do? Cardio? Weights? Bodyweight?

Give us a clue so we can help you more.

Do you have any physical restrictions that we should know of?

There are lots of things you can do, don't let your age hold you back. I don't.

Cheers, h.
  • aldisessa
    aldisessa Posts: 11 Member
    I know I should not worry about being over 50. I lost most of the weight that I set out to using this website.
    I joined a health club today. SSSSSSSoooooo different. I have not exercised for years. I think I need new Clothes, LOL. Thanks for listening to me.
  • ShielaFrancisco
    ShielaFrancisco Posts: 10 Member
    I don't think there is a gym for 50 yrs old and up, all available gym's are for all ages so you don't need to worry.
  • aldisessa
    LOL, Thanks Shiela that was cute.
  • aldisessa
    lol, Thanks Shiela that was cute.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    I'm 55 and never used my age to choose my fitness plan. Figure out what your goals are and find a program or develop a plan that will get you there.

What are your goals? That will give folks here a little more info and they may be able to help you out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    aldisessa wrote: »
    Were can I find workouts for men over 50?

Erm.... That's a really strange concept! :)

Of course there are physiological changes as we age (slower progress and recovery) but really workouts are, or should be, aligned to your specific goals and take into account your capabilities.
    My goals and capabilities as a fit 57 year old are far higher than they were as a fat and unfit 50 year old.

Share your goals and you will get specific advice.
  • aldisessa
    My goals, I did not think of that. lets see, I would like to build muscle, tighten abs, maybe get a chest I lost years ago. I lost almost all the weight I wanted to lose using this website, and not drinking alcohol for the last three months. I think where its been so long. I need a plan. you know like work on biceps triceps one day and work on shoulders another day, can I work on my abs every day?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Find a lifting program. I like stronglifts 5x5. You can do abs too, but its not necessary.
  • aldisessa
    Thanks DancingMoosie. Can I find this lifting program on this website?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes. Just google "stronglifts 5x5".

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Important: Consume 1 gram protein per pound of your body weight each day while doing progressive heavy lifting at a calorie deficit of no more than 500 calories per day. This allows you to experience modest muscle gains even while losing fat. You're a lucky newbie.
  • aldisessa
    Thanks Jerome!
  • V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    aldisessa wrote: »
    My goals, I did not think of that. lets see, I would like to build muscle, tighten abs, maybe get a chest I lost years ago. I lost almost all the weight I wanted to lose using this website, and not drinking alcohol for the last three months. I think where its been so long. I need a plan. you know like work on biceps triceps one day and work on shoulders another day, can I work on my abs every day?

aldisssa try this web site for workout plans: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

I'm 53 and started weight training again after 3 year lazyfest. My #1 goal is to not injure anything (checked my EGO at the GYM DOOR). I'm doing low weight high reps 6x10-15 working on form and getting the muscles/tendons/ligaments reactivated and acclimated again. Down the road after losing some weight and getting my cardio back I might start doing bigger lifts.

aldisessa I've always been my healthiest when I don't drink alcohol, it's my worst enemy on trying to stay fit.

• aldisessa
    Thanks V4, Sounds like were on the same page. alcohol free for three months. wish I knew it felt this good 20 years ago! LOL. I will check out that website and take your advice on low weight high reps.