People Who Comment On What You Eat

Options
Jirachii
Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I started MFP and losing weight Feb 20th 2017. I'm not following a diet plan, just counting calories and loosely trying to hit my macros. So far, I've lost almost 19 pounds and feel great.

Things are going great for me! I'm super happy with this progress, and I love that I can still have sour cream on my taco guilt free because I logged it, or a cookie or whatever. I'm set to reach onederland within the next 5 or 6 weeks, and am stoked.

Buuuuut what ruins my positive mood about all of this, is when people can't mind their own business and acknowledge that I don't need to be eating rabbit food to be getting healthier. My brother hits the gym a lot, but he was blessed with a fast metabolism and has always eaten what he's wanted and never gained weight. He is the biggest offender when it comes to getting on my nerves about what I'm eating. As for just not talking to him, sadly I'm a 19 year old community college student living at home.

Seriously he does it all the time, and gets very aggressive about it when I tell him to stop. He's one of those people who talks over you when you don't just accept his advice. He physically blocked the (low fat) sour cream from me the last time we had tacos. I had 1000 calories to spend on two tacos, and had eaten almost no saturated fat that day. (He was "concerned" about my saturated fat levels lol.)

Even my step dad who is 400+ pounds and making no effort to lose weight chimes in occasionally. It's never encouraging, just always really negative. You'd think I've insulted him with the way he acts sometimes.

How do you guys deal with people who make judgemental comments? They only bother me because I can't really escape them, and they won't let up when I kindly ask and explain my "diet" to them. Neither my brother nor step father have actually tried to lose weight before, so I think they just don't "get" it. Especially when I'm just eating healthier lunches and eating less in general at dinner (when I don't control the meal). They both know that I've dropped a pant size and log everything, but it just doesn't stop.

Also if you have any personal experiences with this, I'd love to hear them! How did it impact your conscious and self esteem? And if you've lost the weight, do people who knew your previous weight still make those comments?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Zone them out when eating, they will eventually get bored. Arguing or explaining is just wasting your time and frustrating you
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I laughed at some of the responses, imagining a battle over the sour cream.

I wouldn't say I'm suffering any abuse, it's just super annoying. My brother likes to push my buttons, and my step dad I think wishes he were healthier but is just not willing to try, even with 3 stints in his heart and diabetes. (He doesn't even watch what he eats for the diabetes, let alone weight loss.) When my mom loses weight, she usually hardly eats anything, or follows a fad diet with lots of treadmill exercise to fit in a corset for an event, and then she puts it all back on. Because I'm not doing that, I'm not doing what is thought of to be a "diet" in this household.

My brother has let up a little bit since I started two months ago, but when he gets going, he just likes to hear himself sound smart by saying nutrients that he doesn't think I'm aware of, haha. (Like how could he have possibly known how much saturated fat I had in a day, and why does he get more than me?)

I've personally started opting for ignoring them and waiting for the results to start to show. Kind of wish I could get my step dad on the bang wagon though. It's getting sad to see him like that.
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tell him to "PISS OFF". You are doing what works for you and it's paying off.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My husband is a little like that. He thinks he is being helpful but, as you said, its mostly just annoying (especially as he is a skinny little *kitten*). My reply would be "I lost 19 lbs in 2 months doing it my way so I think I am going to continue on my plan. If I want your help I will ask for it so until that day comes please keep your opinions to yourself."

Because they see you every day they might not realize how much you have lost so that number could be a wake up call.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I had broken scales I would weigh in at my parents and my dad, who suffers from dementia, thought he was being hilarious when, every time I stepped on the scale, he would say 'one at a time please'. He wasn't even saying it to be mean, and would forget if you asked him not to, really thought he was being funny so I just ignored it. Your family wants to pretend they are the font of all knowledge, let them. But if they try and bar you from eating food then a smackdown is what needed. No one, fat or thin, has the right to deny another person food. I don't care if your brother was feeling saintly from on high, that is not his choice to make, it's yours. If it meant going over your calories that is more work for you do to. Not him. Whenever he magically becomes you he can make all the decisions he wants until then he deserves a stiff word reminder that while you're family he's not your keeper or jailer and to back off.

People seem to think that because they care about someone that their opinion is wanted or needed and it's not. Unless you specifically ask for something he should keep his nose out. That's how me and my brother do it. :smile:
  • MAH80T50
    MAH80T50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that you're doing it wrong, but be prepared to listen - sometimes what starts out as a confrontational conversation, can turn into a worth while exchange of knowledge; your brother and stepdad might think they're being helpful, but tell then straight to wind their neck in, you're eating, you're moving your body more and you're doing your thing, so remind them that it's your body and you're doing what you need to do to look after it your way.

I lost my weight between 2012 and 2014 and I have been maintaining it ever since, so I have gotten a little tired of these kind of chats, so I'm a little aggressive when people try to preach to me, but whilst I was losing weight I would just remind people that the cr4p you read in magazines is just that - cr4p, I have researched all aspects of my weight loss journey thus far, and I believe in what I am doing, so please mind your own business; but if anyone ever says anything to me nowadaysI tell them I have lost over 50% of my body weight, I have been told I'm fitter now than I have ever been, so if I was you I'd go and teach your grandma to suck eggs - you'll have more success than trying to tell me about nutrition, my body and that a calorie is simply a calorie, because if you do start down that road, I will blind you with science ... they usually look a bit confused and shut up ... If that fails, I simply get my before and after photos (on my phone) and they usually say "OMG that's never you" to which I reply "It is, now tell me again how much you know about nutrition, my body and calories?"

That usually does the trick, they're off on another subject in a heartbeat ... works every time lol

xXx