Low Vitamin D & Vitamin C levels

Options
Hi all,
I have been told by my healthcare provider I am low on Vitamin D (confirmed per lab test) and possibly Vitamin C. What are the best foods to eat to receive these nutrients. I am not big on citric fruits because they are so acidic they often give me stomach trouble and I think I have a slight allergy as my lips feel puffy after eating them. I have upped my dairy intake of yogurt and milk, but not nearly enough I don't think. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, bell peppers - all are good non-citrus foods rich in vitamin C.

Since your healthcare provider told you your vitamin D was low, did they provide you with guidance about supplementation beyond increasing dairy (which is usually fortified with D to aid calcium absorption but not necessarily enough to overcome a medical deficiency)?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been told by my healthcare provider I am low on Vitamin D (confirmed per lab test) and possibly Vitamin C. What are the best foods to eat to receive these nutrients. I am not big on citric fruits because they are so acidic they often give me stomach trouble and I think I have a slight allergy as my lips feel puffy after eating them. I have upped my dairy intake of yogurt and milk, but not nearly enough I don't think. Any suggestions?

Your doctor didn't give you suggestions on what to eat?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish like tuna, mackerel, and salmon have vitamin D. The other is fortified milk or dairy prodocuts (e.g., cheese and some yogurts.

The skin also makes vitamin D from sunlight, but because skin cancer runs in my family, I avoid sun exposure pretty regularly so I take a vitamin D supplement.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

She just told me she was going to send in a prescription for supplements....
  • Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I vitamin D deficient and recently started taking 5,000 iu daily. Even with that much my doc said it may be hard to get up to sufficient level(haven't retested yet) as they usually end up having people take 50,000 iu per week. Depending on how low you are, it may not be possible to get it up with vitamin rich foods alone, though it can't hurt to try.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It is notoriously difficult to get vitamin D from food - it just doesn't naturally occur at high enough levels. You will need to supplement rather than try to get it from food.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I also have borderline low Vitamin D (not low enough to take special supplements, but within 2 points of needing them). My doctor told me that supplements will raise your Vitamin D levels, but when you stop taking them your levels will fall back again.

I'm concerned because I had a serious health condition (under control now) probably caused by low Vitamin D. I am doing these things to help myself:

Take a multivitamin with D3 every day
    Drink fortified plant milk several times a day (I like Silk's Protein Nutmilk, but it has 130 calories a cup). There are many options for fortified milks, from almond, cashew, soy, to dairy.
    I try to go for a walk or otherwise go outside every day, at least 30 minutes -- no sunscreen, no makeup, skin exposed as much as reasonable.

Mushrooms are really interesting sources of Vitamin D. If you put them outside, gills up, they will absorb massive amounts of Vitamin D in a short time. I like Portobello mushrooms. Unlike supplements, all that extra Vitamin D from plants won't hurt you.

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    If you decide to take a Vitamin C supplement, steer clear of ascorbic acid based Vit C as this can exacerbate your existing digestive problems. Speaking from personal experience on that too. Sodium ascorbate is gentler on the tummy. I use NutriBiotics brand.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fill the prescription and take it to get the boost needed. She may retest you in a couple months then put you on a maintenance dose.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

She just told me she was going to send in a prescription for supplements....

Take the supplements then. I am not supposed to take most supplements, but I do take the dr ordered vitamin D. And if they want you to take vitamin C, take those. If no vitamin c supplements, up your fruits and veggies.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sweet peppers, strawberries, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are high in vitamin C, and honestly if you increase your fruit & veggie intake and take a multi you will get plenty of C.

Vitamin D you will probably have to supplement separately.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I live in the PNW where we are notoriously low in vitamin D. Both my teenage son and I have tested for drastically low levels. For me, I was initially put on a prescription of 50,000 IU for a number of weeks – – I can't remember exactly how long – – and then when my levels were back up I started taking 5 to 6000 units a day. You can get a great deal on vitamin D supplements at Costco. My level has dropped somewhat over time, but generally is within normal now. My son takes 2000 IU a day and that seems to keep himat a good level. This is the really best time of year to test, since this will be when you're at your lowest.
    I have nothing to back this up, but I like to space my supplements out over the course of the day. I know that there have been studies that show issues with taking a large amount of calcium once a day, and just based on that I spread out my intake over the day. It might be wise to break up your vitamin C supplements into smaller doses and take it over the course of the day. I can't take vitamin C supplements myself, because they give me cold sores. Remember too, that red peppers, kale, brussels sprouts, and broccoli are all very high in vitamin C. Find out how much your healthcare provider wants you to get and then look at those foods to see how much you might want to eat.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the advice.