Meals out?

Options
estelle_baptiste
estelle_baptiste Posts: 7 Member
Suggestions for what to do if you go to somewhere and you eat food that has no nutritional advice, how do you log it.

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Look for something similar in the database and aim for one of the higher entries.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    Or you can mentally deconstruct the dish and log the individual ingredients. This is easier if you're an experienced cook, or if the meal is fairly straightforward and you can basically see everything you're eating (e.g, a simply grilled steak, chop, or fish is easier to guesstimate than a dish with lots of ingredients like a casserole, stew or soup).
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are watching what you eat - you choose the restaurant and do your homework first. Most restaurants post the nutritional info for their meals so you can plan in advance.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    M
    Leverfam wrote: »
    If you are watching what you eat - you choose the restaurant and do your homework first. Most restaurants post the nutritional info for their meals so you can plan in advance.

In California only chain restaurants with more than 20 locations do it because it is the law. Small or local places don’t.

OP, I don't log unless I prepare the meals myself or if the restaurant has the nutritional information in their menu or website (most of the places that I eat at don't have it). For me it doesn't make sense to spend time looking in the database for something similar or trying to blindly use estimated calories because I know that it will not be accurate. But that's it just me.

I do make a note in the Comments section of my food diary detailing what I ate and where and that's all. Since I don't always eat all my exercise calories, I always have a buffer that covers for those odd situations.