I really need to change my eating habits

Options
I have the worst eating habits. I really need to change. I love veggies and eating salad so I to stick with that. My problem is I love sugar

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Try prelogging. Plan a day or two out so you can both get some variety and avoid things you want to avoid.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Good place to start is logging everything. Get used to treating your food diary as valuable data, rather than source of embarrassment or shame.
  • davisfanny
    davisfanny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do log everything I eat!! I do have congestive heart failure so changing my eating habits is important. I just never did when the doctor was all over me about it. Now I'm starting to have really bad chest pains and going back to the doctor. So getting my eating on track and losing weight is super important. Plus I'm tired of looking like a
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! My advice is to start small and add healthy habits to your life, one small step at a time. Sugar is addicting and doesnt nourish your body but it's not something we have to avoid or cut out completely. There are lists out there "if you are craving this, eat some of that" that can be useful. -Jessalyn
  • davisfanny
    davisfanny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do love eating veggies. I always make sure I make some kinda veggie with dinner. I am going to see a dietitian so thank you for that. I really appreciate everyone's comments and enjoy reading them
  • elfridell30
    elfridell30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had issues with sugar addiction that faded away when I stared drinking protein shakes. Getting enough protein from my Vega.Protein and Green shakes seemed to cure me.
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not buying the stuff you have trouble with is really helpful for some of us. You just have to exercise willpower for a few minutes at the shop instead of constantly at home. You have to get the support of anyone you live with to keep bad food out of the house. Then when you are low on calories one day you can get a special treat, just buy and eat a one treat serving. Throw extra away if need be. It's far cheaper than a new heart.

Observe when you really get cravings, if that's an issue. I have found that if I have a sweet or specially carby breakfast I have more sugar cravings the rest of that day. So if I'm having sugar it has to be at night. You've gotta figure out your own problems, what triggers you to eat the bad food? You say you're focusing on veg and salads. Are you allowed fats? If so, are you getting enough fats? They will increase the satiety you get from those meals. Sprinkle some nuts or avocado on the salad if allowed. If no fat, go for fiber and moisture and protein, I think. Apples, bananas, stone fruit?
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating fruit when you get a sugar craving...or grab a fruit smoothie at Tropical Smoothie Cafe or Smoothie King
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I find I naturally eat about 35g/day just sticking to my macros. What does your macro split look like?
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough protein with each meal and limiting your carbohydrates. The "crash" you feel after a high-carbohydrate meal (or drink) is your body's reaction to an increase and then sharp decrease in your blood sugar. Your body craves sugar because it wants that "sugar high" back. Replacing some of your carbs with protein can reduce or eliminate that "crash". Also, ask your doctor if he can do bloodwork and check your vitamin and mineral levels to see if you have any vitamin deficiencies or hormonal imbalances. Deficiencies in B vitamins, or hormonal fluctuations can also cause sugar cravings.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love sugar has well! Trust me it's an addiction what I do is I eat less sugary items. Like instead of eating a huge chocolate bar I get small mini size items. Or instead of a full cake piece I cut a smaller piece. I used to be a big fan of the king size of the king size candy bars but now I just get candy in smaller sizes, and take a look at the calorie content. I sometimes track calories so if I was tracking it that day I make sure it fits :)
    Good question! I think everyone is also bringing up some good advice.