How much is an oz?

Options
I don't have any measuring supplies in the dorm, (I eyeball tablespoons) but how much meat, or cheese, or fruit is in an ounce?

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't have any measuring supplies in the dorm, (I eyeball tablespoons) but how much meat, or cheese, or fruit is in an ounce?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    For cheese an oz is about the size of two dice. For meat: 3 ounces is about the size of a deck of cards. Can't help you with fruit.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Typically, I have used a babybel cheese (it's 1 oz) and you usually are supposed to eat 4oz of meat which is the size of the palm of your hand. I just bought a cheap measuring scale from Safeway and it's awesome for measuring out this stuff.
  • sweetassurance
    Options
    According to a book that I have for managing diabetes.

The thumb to the first joint represents 1 ounce

3oz equals the palm of your hand or a deck of cards.

1 cup is equal to a fist

1 teaspoon is about the size of a thumb tip:happy:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You can pick up very cheaper measuring spoons and cups from WalMart...I bought some cheap ones because I got sick of cleaning them all day long...:laugh:

measuring spoons were about a buck and I think the cups were less than 2
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I just saw a dietician on Thursday. According to her:

An oz of cheese is about the size of four dice

A piece of meat (chicken, beef) 3 ounces is about the size of a deck of cards (fish is about double the length for the same amount).

A medium piece of fruit is the size of a tennis ball.

Hope this helps!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You can pick up very cheaper measuring spoons and cups from WalMart...I bought some cheap ones because I got sick of cleaning them all day long...:laugh:

measuring spoons were about a buck and I think the cups were less than 2

I hear you on the cleaning thing, my goodness! I have a nice metal set, all connected together so I usually have to wash mine 3 or more times a day!
    Options
    Sizing up your servings
    The first step in portion control is to understand serving sizes, which may be smaller than you think. Use these visualizations to estimate appropriate serving sizes:

A medium apple or orange is the size of a tennis ball.
    A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse.
    An average bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
    A cup of fruit is the size of a baseball.
    Three ounces of meat is the size of a deck of cards.
    Three ounces of grilled fish is the size of your checkbook.
    One ounce of cheese is the size of four dice.
    One teaspoon of peanut butter is the size of the tip of your thumb.
    Food-label servings
    You often see serving sizes listed on food labels. They aren't a recommendation of how much you should eat, but are simply the amount of food on which the product's nutritional analysis is based. This information allows you to compare the nutritional value of one product with that of another.

Food-label servings are based on the amount of that particular food that people normally eat and are listed using standard household measurements, such as cups, ounces or pieces. Check to see if the amount you normally eat is similar to the serving size on the label. If you eat more, then the number of calories and nutrients you get from that item will be higher. A figure indicating the servings per container also is included so that you can calculate the calories and nutrients in the entire package.

Right-size your portions
    If you're finding it difficult to bring your portions in line with recommended servings, try these suggestions:

Read food labels to determine serving sizes.
    Discourage overeating by placing only the appropriate servings of food on dinner plates, rather than put serving bowls on the table.
    Don't eat second helpings.
    When eating out, ask for a takeout container. Save part of the meal for another time.
    Split a meal with your spouse or friend.
    Don't feel as if you have to clean your plate.
  • Lily31667
    Options
    I bet you can get some cheap measuring spoons etc at your local dollar store, but the advice given by others is the same as I have heard in weight watchers and diet books.

Good luck
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    buy a food scale, a measuring cup and a set of measuring spoons. They're tiny, take up very little space, and are very inexpensive. Eyeballing is calorie counting's worst enemy if you ask me.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I use measuring cups and measuring spoons and then I eyeball my meats and fruit and cheese. I thought 2 dice was one oz of cheese? Oh well as long as I'm losing I am fine with it. if I stop losing for a while them maybe I will get a scale.

Good luck however you choose to measure.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    buy a food scale, a measuring cup and a set of measuring spoons. They're tiny, take up very little space, and are very inexpensive. Eyeballing is calorie counting's worst enemy if you ask me.

Yep, I bought a food scale, top view measuring cup to replace my old beat up one and new measuring spoons yesterday at Target. I was happy to toss my old plastic meas spoons, so cheap they were turning yellow from wear and years :laugh: I was happy that I think I was skimping out myself and bf on putting the Baked Cheetos into a snack bag, on the scale the portion makes the bag quite more full than what I was eyeballing. It was (the scale) also especially helpful on mesuring our meat portions before I put them into the freezer broken down. I previously had a non-digital food scale and found it very inaccurate or reminded me of the old scales (weight ones) that you can get a couple diff readings....:huh:
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Yep, I bought a food scale, top view measuring cup to replace my old beat up one and new measuring spoons yesterday at Target. I was happy to toss my old plastic meas spoons, so cheap they were turning yellow from wear and years :laugh: I was happy that I think I was skimping out myself and bf on putting the Baked Cheetos into a snack bag, on the scale the portion makes the bag quite more full than what I was eyeballing. It was (the scale) also especially helpful on mesuring our meat portions before I put them into the freezer broken down. I previously had a non-digital food scale and found it very inaccurate or reminded me of the old scales (weight ones) that you can get a couple diff readings....:huh:

That'll be nice when I have an apartment... But I can't bring one down to the caf! That would be really funny. "Can I have 2 oz of noodles please" *hands food scale* :tongue: I will keep it in mind for later though!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Sizing up your servings
    The first step in portion control is to understand serving sizes, which may be smaller than you think. Use these visualizations to estimate appropriate serving sizes:

A medium apple or orange is the size of a tennis ball.
    A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse.
    An average bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
    A cup of fruit is the size of a baseball.
    Three ounces of meat is the size of a deck of cards.
    Three ounces of grilled fish is the size of your checkbook.
    One ounce of cheese is the size of four dice.
    One teaspoon of peanut butter is the size of the tip of your thumb.
    Food-label servings
    You often see serving sizes listed on food labels. They aren't a recommendation of how much you should eat, but are simply the amount of food on which the product's nutritional analysis is based. This information allows you to compare the nutritional value of one product with that of another.

Food-label servings are based on the amount of that particular food that people normally eat and are listed using standard household measurements, such as cups, ounces or pieces. Check to see if the amount you normally eat is similar to the serving size on the label. If you eat more, then the number of calories and nutrients you get from that item will be higher. A figure indicating the servings per container also is included so that you can calculate the calories and nutrients in the entire package.

Right-size your portions
    If you're finding it difficult to bring your portions in line with recommended servings, try these suggestions:

Read food labels to determine serving sizes.
    Discourage overeating by placing only the appropriate servings of food on dinner plates, rather than put serving bowls on the table.
    Don't eat second helpings.
    When eating out, ask for a takeout container. Save part of the meal for another time.
    Split a meal with your spouse or friend.
    Don't feel as if you have to clean your plate.

Bump-thanks!
  • sweatpea
    Options
    i feel stupid asking this.. but is 1/2 cup of cook ground beef 4oz? i can't seem to find my food scale ...