I went from restricting processed foods dairy and meat. To slowling re introducing these items

Options
I went from 253lbs to 125 maintain 125lb for a little while now I'm introducing flavor with sauces and condiments. I was going vegan and just started to added a serving of cheese maybe a little butter now and then. Oh I also restricted sugar. I'll have a homemade oatmeal cookie small cookie 37 calories. Trying out different sauces in moderation. And the scale is creeping up on me. I eat a high volume of food due to the fact my calories are coming from mostly veggies and fruits. Oh i am eating more refine carbs like whole grain breads and corn or rice pasta. Could that be it because it's harder to process.
I really track everything I eat and try to maintain a routine with going throughout my day on what exactly I can eat and how much! I balance out my day with snack and grains. I used to do a set schedule on meals but I have a new job and find myself eating last a certain time in the evening.. can that be it also. I'm eating the same really than before always under my calorie limit but I am also now splurging on little things now because I'm searching for flavor with my meals. I want to enjoy my meal now. I feel like I earned it, lost all this weight, I don't want plan Jane meals.
Idk I feel like all these processed sauces and dairy can be doing it. I haven't had the time to make all my things like sauce or dressings from scratch normally . It has to be the sodium and added sugar
M

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If you are eating more sugar and other carbs, your body will hold more water weight with a diet like that. If you are eating more sodium, that will also make you retain water. If you are eating the same calories, it can't be fat but it is water weight and the pounds may stay.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Include your sauces in your tracking - I get the impression you aren't? I've never dieted on plain food, I always include sauces/spices/flavourings and those things to make meals interesting

I'm not sure why refined carbs would be harder to process... Surely they'd be easier as your body doesn't have to do so much to break them down?

Eating late makes no difference either.

Maintaining is hard. You may still need to track religiously to ensure you're not having too many "splurges" that can start to put you over your maintenance goal. Perhaps it's the sodium or increased carbs, or perhaps your new job is less active?
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What time period are we talking about for the scale creeping up and by how much? A short term gain could be due to lots of things. I can see from your log you are at 1200-1500 calories per day and I don't think you can gain with that low of an intake. Don't worry about it for a few weeks at least. I think you'll be fine if you stay on the same track you are on now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all the things you're adding back in, and ensuring that you log them accurately? Food scale etc?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, how many pounds have you gained, over what time period, and how long has it been since you changed your diet?

You said you have a new job, is it possible it has made you slightly less active?
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If you are eating more sugar and other carbs, your body will hold more water weight with a diet like that. If you are eating more sodium, that will also make you retain water. If you are eating the same calories, it can't be fat but it is water weight and the pounds may stay.
    @MoiAussi93 that's what I was thinking. I went from very low sodium and I increased my intake all of a sudden for flavor
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    Include your sauces in your tracking - I get the impression you aren't? I've never dieted on plain food, I always include sauces/spices/flavourings and those things to make meals interesting

I'm not sure why refined carbs would be harder to process... Surely they'd be easier as your body doesn't have to do so much to break them down?

Eating late makes no difference either.

Maintaining is hard. You may still need to track religiously to ensure you're not having too many "splurges" that can start to put you over your maintenance goal. Perhaps it's the sodium or increased carbs, or perhaps your new job is less active?

@livingleanlivingclean I am tracking every calories to make sure I have an accurate calorie count and so I can see what make my weight go up or down. Trying to fully understand what I can have and how much everyday and the different combos. I'm slowly trying to gain lm back regular and flavorful eating habits
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    What time period are we talking about for the scale creeping up and by how much? A short term gain could be due to lots of things. I can see from your log you are at 1200-1500 calories per day and I don't think you can gain with that low of an intake. Don't worry about it for a few weeks at least. I think you'll be fine if you stay on the same track you are on now.

@JohnnyPenso that's what I'm hoping.. this is a new thing for me it's been a long year of weight loss and trying to find a new way of eating, a balance. I'm eating healthy still with adding flavor and maybe a tiny it of snack really.
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean I don't believe in less active. I stand all day and walk about three miles all together back and forth from work. Wake up early get my chores done around the house and then come home to more chores and not really stationary until late. Maybe I'm not getting enough sleep?
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    Are you logging all the things you're adding back in, and ensuring that you log them accurately? Food scale etc?

@Alatariel75 logging everything. I don't have a good scale tho. I may get one. I know that will come out I. Handy and be more accurate
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, how many pounds have you gained, over what time period, and how long has it been since you changed your diet?

You said you have a new job, is it possible it has made you slightly less active?
    For what my fitness pal say I've gain 3.3 lbs in a month. I it may have been a couple weeks that I've slowly started to add things. I've been added more cheese and sauces this week tho. I feel like I've been more active! I started walking about a mile a day and I'm barely stationary. Always on the movie doing homework. Standing at my job
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Processed foods and cheese will make you swell and retain water so it could be water weight. Try adding spices and small amounts of olive oil or coconut oil to foods to give it more flavor. You can use ghee as well, it's delicious and really adds flavor, just a teaspoon will do.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

For what my fitness pal say I've gain 3.3 lbs in a month. I it may have been a couple weeks that I've slowly started to add things. I've been added more cheese and sauces this week tho. I feel like I've been more active! I started walking about a mile a day and I'm barely stationary. Always on the movie doing homework. Standing at my job

When on maintenance, the goal isn't to maintain exactly 125lbs. You should have a range of a few lbs on either side of that. As long as your weight falls within that range then don't worry about it. If it goes outside that range then take action. For example, if your range is between 120 and 130, you would reduce your intake or increase your exercise if your weight goes above 130 and increase your intake if your weight goes below 120. At 128.3 you just need to watch it to see if it continues to increase or if it goes back down.