Eggs...why must you torture me so...

Options
Anyone else's tummy super reject eggs? It sucks so much! They are a great source of protein...super yummy, and yet every time I eat them I feel like crap.

Anyone have alternatives? :neutral:

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Alternatives in which way?

I'd cry a lot if I couldn't eat eggs.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions but I have a bad pollen allergy not just the sneezing type but it makes my mouth and throat itch like crazy when I eat raw fruit, veggies, and nuts. I can only eat fruit if it's been brought to the boiling point :( no quick grab an apple or banana on the run
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    If you are allergic to them, don't eat them. The question I have is this something new? If you could eat eggs before, what has changed now to cause problems?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I would die if I couldn't eat eggs. They are my favorite food on the entire earth and I eat them every day. If I though I had an egg allergy I'd see an allergist.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    OP how do they make your stomach feel?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You could try duck eggs. My SIL is allergic to chicken eggs but can eat duck eggs with no problem.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Eggs give me wicked gall bladder pain. :(

I can manage one or two ... and then none for the next couple months ... and maybe one or two, etc. But if I have one or two eggs each weekend, like I was trying to do for a while there ...... nope. Agony. Like waking me up in the middle of the night, stabbing pain agony.

I have talked to my Dr about it, and have gone for ultrasounds, and her only piece of advice was ... don't eat eggs.

• tmhancock8980
    tmhancock8980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, try eating just egg whites instead of the entire egg. Tastes just as good as eating the entire egg but with far less fat and calories.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    I have no suggestions but I have a bad pollen allergy not just the sneezing type but it makes my mouth and throat itch like crazy when I eat raw fruit, veggies, and nuts. I can only eat fruit if it's been brought to the boiling point :( no quick grab an apple or banana on the run
    Ugh. Oral allergy syndrome. I get it with raw celery. I miss raw celery with peanut butter or cream cheese.

I can't do apples, but that's hives. Thankfully I haven't started reacting to anything else yet. (Well, foods at least.)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you are allergic to them, don't eat them. The question I have is this something new? If you could eat eggs before, what has changed now to cause problems?

Allergies can develop at any time. And get better or worse. They are annoying things.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I can't eat them two days in a row and I can't eat them more than once a week. I have a mild intolerance and allergy to egg whites that gets worse the more/more often I have them in a timespan. It sucks because I love eggs. I can manage them in small doses like 2-3 eggs every 2-3 weeks because I only get low level nausea and a slightly runnier nose. Strangely, I handle them in baked goods just fine.

There are a few reasons why eggs could make you uncomfortable. It could be the sulfur in yolk, but the white is more commonly associated with an allergic reaction.
  • nicelyse
    nicelyse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to eggs lately as well, i can eat them in food but on there own i get stomach pain and gas, it could be related to the sulfur in the eggs. I am intolerant to alot of foods containing sulfur which is only just new to me. I Just dont eat them as much and get protein from other sources :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Eggs give me wicked gall bladder pain. :(

I can manage one or two ... and then none for the next couple months ... and maybe one or two, etc. But if I have one or two eggs each weekend, like I was trying to do for a while there ...... nope. Agony. Like waking me up in the middle of the night, stabbing pain agony.

I have talked to my Dr about it, and have gone for ultrasounds, and her only piece of advice was ... don't eat eggs.

Sounds familiar. Except the part where they had to remove because it had ended up in a near permanent state of inflammation. Anything fat ended up causing the Agony.

*shudders*

Not a pleasant memory.

OP, I'm sorry eggs have turned against you. They are really yummy. Have you tried using only the egg whites or only the egg yolks? Sometimes that works. Otherwise, sadly you'll need to find other alternatives.
  • JuliahK1987
    JuliahK1987 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Allergies suck. I can't apples of any kind.... they make me feel like I have to throw up. And I might be allergic to canned olives. Had some for lunch and the top of my mouth was itching like crazy!
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What sort of alternatives are you looking for? Just as a protein source, or in cooking/baking?

I've heard of people using applesauce or greek yoghurt as substitutes. I've personally found Orgran's No Egg to work pretty well in cakes/muffins.

Scrambled soft tofu is pretty good.

As for quick sources of protein, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, canned chicken/fish?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »

I've always been this way with bananas. I love bananas! It stinks.

As far as eggs go, I have to have some kind of sugar with eggs in order for them to not make me feel bad after eating them. I usually eat ketchup on them or an apple on the side with scrambled eggs. This morning I had sauteed onions/bell peppers in EVOO and scrambled eggs. It's a fave. Maybe try different combinations and see if something works better for you.