Cross-training

Options
I am in my second week of following a 1/2 marathon training schedule and need to start incorporating some cross-training. To any runners out there, what do you do to cross train, and how big of a difference do you find it makes on your running?

I was thinking kick-boxing classes, but I really don't want to spend $60/mo at the gym especially when I would only go to 2 classes per week. So I am thinking about doing my Wii Active hour long workout, you use resistance bands and it's a lot of squats, lunges etc.

I am open to any ideas :)

Thanks!

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    focus on core work!! Keeping your powerhouse in good condition will greatly improve your stamina & endurance.

::edit:: think circuit training. If you can get past Jillian Michaels' annoyingness, her workouts get results and have really improved my runs.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ::edit:: think circuit training. If you can get past Jillian Michaels' annoyingness, her workouts get results and have really improved my runs.

It is funny that you said this because so many people love Jillian, but I can't stand her lol!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

It is funny that you said this because so many people love Jillian, but I can't stand her lol!

LOL My husband and I are about halfway through level one of her 30DS, and we're wondering if we can manage to turn her off and do the workout on our own now that we're familiar with the sequence. She talks WAY too much!
  • runnerchick
    Options
    Core is a must for all runners! I would add pilates and or yoga to my workout sessions. Cross-training is simply working the rest of your body besides your legs all the time. After long run I would swim the next. Spinning is also a good class to take( if you dont' care for the gym , ride your own bike) . I have done several 1/2 marathons and pilates and spinning have helped me.