100+ pounds looks a looonngg way away!

Options
It happened. I stepped on the scale and at my heaviest weight it said 299.5. For a split second the scale flashed 300...and something twitched inside me.

Had surgery two months ago, changed to a desk job from an on my feet job, and have a hubby who doesn't get why my plan is to change my diet as a start rather than just get more active. I know in need to do both be he doesn't understand carrying this weight on two short legs...on a hiking path...up a hill. Heck up a flight of stairs for that matter!

So here I go on this journey...sorta on my own. But I am the only one who can do it.

Replies

• cj_stl
    cj_stl Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you! I am 44 with 45 coming before the end of the year. Encouraging to know us old ladies can still get it done! Congrats on your new lease on life!!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Not on your own - there's so much support here if you ask for it. I've found just posting that I'm frustrated prompts encouragement from all around the world. Use it! ...and both of you, friend me - I'm 45 too!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One of my mfp friends is a lady who decided to change her way of eating when she topped the scale at 500 lb. Her updates at this time are "258 lost", so I want you to believe and know that it is indeed going to happen if you just change one small habit after another. I'm 93lb down from my start. It's just one small habit to change. Just start with one.
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    One of my mfp friends is a lady who decided to change her way of eating when she topped the scale at 500 lb. Her updates at this time are "258 lost", so I want you to believe and know that it is indeed going to happen if you just change one small habit after another. I'm 93lb down from my start. It's just one small habit to change. Just start with one.

This is great advice and very encouraging, Jerome! Mine is to just consistently log daily. It's amazing how much you learn about yourself and your patterns by simply logging.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I had my knocking on 300 moment in December, now down 40 lbs. You can do it, though it's going to be a 1-2 yr journey for both of us.

Sending you an invite to a group of fellow 100 lb travelers, a good place to find friends and support.
    Groups › Let's Lose it: 100+lbs
  • harzicn
    harzicn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too had that terrible 300 pound revelation. I had been avoiding weighing myself for years. I started MFP almost on a whim but the time was right and I am down 62 pounds. I believe the time is right for you too.
    Like Dianakop72 I didn't force myself to exercise heavily in the first five months, but there comes a time when you feel lighter and then walking, dancing, moving becomes pleasurable. Be kind to yourself and make sure you are account for everything you eat--even if you go over your limit. I found that logging EVERYTHING helped me to naturally find my balance. You are going to feel great so much better in no time at all.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with your food is the best place to start. You need to learn a whole different approach to food and exercise will just complicate that. Some people wait until they've lost their first 50lbs or so. If you're desperate to exercise, which you don't sound like you are, then start with something like swimming because it will be gentle for you. Almost 300lbs is a lot (but not insurmountable) to carry around on hiking paths so you tackle it however you feel you can do it and make it last. :smile:
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cj_stl wrote: »
    Thank you! I am 44 with 45 coming before the end of the year. Encouraging to know us old ladies can still get it done! Congrats on your new lease on life!!
    CJ - 44 going on 45 is NOT old - if i was dating a 44 year old then i would be accused of cradle snatching!!
    good luck to you - to paraphrase a famous saying "every weight loss journey begins with a single Ounce"
    i have said elsewhere on this forum

To lose weight -
    1. you simply need to eat at a calorie deficit while making sure sure that the diet is balanced .
    2. do NOT set your calorie deficit so high that you feel so hungry that you would eat the cardboard box that the Bran Flakes came in ( i had some puppies that ate a load of cardboard -the effect on their digestive system was .... well lets just say not good ..... :s )
    3. Ignore the "evangalicists" (is that even a real word?) who will be talking about eating clean (whatever that means) and the paleo diet (basically nuts and grubs like a caveman )
    4. use the MFP tools - aim for no more than a pound a week , and stick at it-
    5. weight loss is not linear (especially so for the ladies due to hormonal fluctuations and side effects thereof) so look at item 6
    6. weight fluctuates daily , weigh yourself no more than once a week(preferably naked) , at the same time of day ,(early morning is good) after following the same ritual (wee, poo etc)
    7. and for XXXXXX's** sake avoid like the plague Fad diets consisting mostly of one food group (or even worse one food)

There is NO quick way to get rid of unsightly fat (talking generally here obviously not about anyone specific ) bar use of liposuction or a divorce (and before anyone shouts at me that is a joke ) ....

good luck :)

** insert deity or self-deterministic belief system of your choice here B)
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've got 10 years on most of the above folks but there's a lot of good encouragement and advice. The trick I'm doing right now is, instead of thinking "100", think "10" pound goals. I didn't exercise right away either but I did go for walks and eventually walked further and further. I try and stay away from what I call "white food", rice, pasta, bread, tortilla, etc. I use the Explore brand of pasta when I need a noodle fix, lol! Go fresh as much as possible too. You got this! Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girl! I've only been on here and started this whole thing almost 3 weeks ago and I'm doing pretty good so far. I've already had some slip ups, but I get right back to it and I'm making some progress. I've got a long way to go...but like @JEE2015 said, I've got 10 lb goals that I've set and a time frame to meet each one. That seems a lot less daunting than the actual total that I need to lose.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the time will pass whether you're trying to lose weight or not. I started using MFP 2 years ago and am down a little over 55 lbs with around 25 or 30 lbs left. I've actually quit logging a couple of times because it just felt like it was taking too long to lose the weight. Of course I gained some back and now it will take even longer to get to my goal. I've finally realized that even if I'm only losing half a lb a week that it's still better than gaining. And there are some weeks I don't lose at all or I gain but I just keep doing what I know will work if I have patience and let it work.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I didn't have quite that much to lose - I've lost 40 and have maybe 20 to 30 left - but don't think of the whole 100 pounds. You'll feel somewhat better after you've lost 10 pounds. You'll feel quite a bit better after you lose 30. You'll start to feel really good after you lose 50. Just take a chunk and work on that, and then move onto the next chunk. I'm 47 and I'm doing it. I know you can too! Just be like Dory the fish - just keep swimming, just keep swimming!
  • tmonty67
    tmonty67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    change one thing at a time about your eating and your hubby/family may never even notice. I removed red meats from our diet and my kids never noticed. I Changed from white rice to brown, Let everyone get used to that and accept that change, then changed to whole wheat pasta, then bought a fruit bowl for the counter, and started keeping that full, and no junk snacks. One small change at a time will be easier on you too, each change becomes a new habit, not just a thing for the moment.
  • Dianakop72
    Dianakop72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i see alot of people have removed certain foods from their diet. and I am so happy that works for you. I chose to not remove anything I loved. I make sure every 4 to 6 weeks to go to the store and get a slice of chocolate cake ( yes i'm a chocoholic heh) and I love love love good seasons italian dressing that you make yourself. I changed the ratio and not its mostly vinegar and only 46 calories per 2 tbsns. I still make all the same dinners, I just made sure to put them in my food diary to figure out how much to eat. I still have pasta and garlic bread and steak and hamburger. I found that I had to figure out a way to do this MY way. So please don't think you have to eliminate something to do this. or feel deprived. if I want chocolate I make sure I can have a piece or two that day. heck most days I have a piece or two. I just don't eat the whole bag anymore. And there are nights i'll make the guys mac n cheese or something that I don't want the calories of. and I'll just have a bite once I mix it up but I will have leftovers or something else. make this work for YOU. :)