My boyfriend doesn't support my weight loss goals

We've both put on weight in the 18 months we've been together and I'm trying to get back to what I was when we first started dating.

I love him the way he is and don't want him to change but since losing weight, I can see how unhealthy his lifestyle is and it's so difficult to stick to my diet around him. He also says I shouldn't be losing weight and life is to be enjoyed but I'm happier since I've given up junk food and started regular exercise.

I don't know what I can do.

Replies

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Is it possible that he doesn't fully understand how important it is to you? I mean YOU know it is important, but have you made sure that he understands? And have you also said how you'd like him to support you? Because we can't read each other's minds, even if we're really in sync with the people we love...sometimes we have to communicate our needs. Once you have communicated, and your needs still aren't met, THEN there is something to be concerned about... I hope you two work it out! :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Yeah, junk food tastes great (or I used to think so) but it more than a little overweight. Its the 5 or 10 pounds year after year that will literally kill you. All I see now are people in electric shopping carts loaded with junk food. They are not handicapped they are lazy and have no shame or their joints are so badly worn they hurt to move. Either way now is the time to act if you don't want to be that person. Its not easy but the alternative isn't easy either.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Well, in the end, if you want to enjoy life you start with yourself. If you cannot be happy with yourself, how can you move on from there. \the same applies to your friend though. So if you can both accept each other (and support each others wishes), than it is a happy match, if you can't, you need to look at either ways to compromise or alternatives
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    If he's honestly standing in your way of being a healthier and happier person then that rings alarm bells. Maybe he's feeling self conscious because he knows how unhealthy he has become and seeing you change is making him face that fact but those are his issues and he shouldn't be putting them on you. All you could and should do is keep doing what you're doing. Either he gets on board or out of the way because you're your own person and if this makes you happy, do it.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Get a new BF. Run don't look back.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    You are young. Get out now while you still can. I know it's easier said than done - especially when the advice comes from a bunch of strangers - but you need someone who supports your new lifestyle. Do you really want to be with someone who sits around eating junk and wants you to be unhealthy with him? Life is too short to be with someone who doesn't support you.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    You just have to do your own thing wether you get encouragement from him or not. Don't make it a wedge issue. If he gives you issues you need to confront him.

Consider yourself lucky he doesn't try to sabotage your efforts. My ex wife went out of her way to make sure I eventually failed.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Let him get out of shape while you get in shape. He will soon become insecure and make changes

lmao. ingnore this ^ *waves wand* "it didn't even happen"
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    replace him. It's ok to give up some things for a boyfriend but your health and happiness aren't 2 of them.