help with protein please!!

Options
I'm on a maintaining diet of about 1500 calories and I cardio train regularly. I'm looking to build more muscle and increase my strength training and want a higher protein intake. Any ideas to keep calorie intake around 1500-1700 while increasing protein? I know which foods are protein-rich but am struggling to incooporate enough of them...

I'm afraid I don't eat canned fish or eggs (alone - in pancakes etc is fine)

Thanxx in advance for your ideas!

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I got the Apex Fit Lite meal replacement shake. It has 20g protein and only 190 calories if you make it with water. You can also make it with milk, but I think it tastes good with water and I'd rather save the calories anyway. I got chocolate flavor, but there is also vanilla and strawberry.

Grilled chicken breast, Hillshire Farms Ultra Thin lunchmeat, and cheese are my other main sources of protein. Yogurt and wheat bread also contribute protein. I am eating 1300-1450 calories per day (non-gym vs gym days), and I have my protein set at 25%. I keep going over on my protein and under on my carbs, and I have been trying to stick to the percentages. Protein just seems to add up fast, probably due to the headstart I am getting from the Apex shake.
  • Rikki_Sixx
    Rikki_Sixx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing any answers to this, as I'd like to start my day with a pretty protein-rich breakfast to reduce the temptation to snack throughout the day, but I struggle to find good options.

Are protein shakes worthwhile, or more reserved for though who do a LOT of working out?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I am trying to do! I am trying to put on more muscle without gaining weight- which is why I joined MFP in the first place. I have been working on it for about a year and trying to eat at least 80gm protein per day with about the same calorie range that you have- I increased my calories a little bit in April because I was losing more weight than I wanted.

I eat a lot of chicken, and sometimes beef - more than I want really but boy you can get allmost all your daily protein for about 400 calories in a lean steak!! Also I like the "Pure Protein" bars which give you 20gm for only 200 calories. I buy the tuna which comes in the plastic packages- it's a LOT better than canned tuna. Also beans and fat free cheese are good sources of protein.

If you want you can friend me and see my diary. Good luck!
    kathleen
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    About the shakes and protein powders- I have tried them a little bit but I really would rather have a protein bar with a cup of coffee or a glass of skim milk - it just seems more normal and I feel like I'm eating.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I read RED MEAT puts on bulk but if you work out it adds to muscles.

If you're only eating chicken and fish .. theyre too lean.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    -Whey protein powder (Twinlab 1 scoop is 130 calories, 25 grams P)
    -low sodium cottage cheese (low fat 1/2 cup= 90 calories, 13 grams P)
    -greek yogurt (6oz plain Chobani = 100 cal, 18 grams P)

I also like the Special K protein plus cereal (3/4 cup = 100 cal, 10grams P), and I make my own protein bars. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Get some whey protein and add it to your pancakes. I don't change any other ingredients in my pancakes when i do them up and it mixes up fine. Extra protein and I still get the tasty pancake breakfast. I add whey protein to my omelets as well, the one I buy is unflavoured so it doesn't noticeably change tastes.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's really great that you want to added protein to your diet to help you bulk up. Just a word of caution on shakes and bars. Check their ingredients and sugar content. Plus too much protein is really hard on you liver, kidneys, and your brain. It's harder for your body to break down than carbs or fat. The processes also releases a compound that in large enough quantities can cause depression and even brain damage. I've seen it happen on people doing hard core Adkins. Just remember too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like using Body Fortress. It has 26g of protein in each scoop, you have the option of using 2 scoops per serving which is 52g protein without busting your calories for the day.
  • powermunki
    Options
    Hi everyone, just thought I'd chime in. I really like Muscle Milk products and usually have a shake for breakfast. They make some tasty protein powders but they make the ready to drink stuff too. (Costco or Sams club for good prices on those.) I always have a stash of the Muscle Milk light chocolate drinks handy when I'm on the go. (Another good powder is the EAS Myoplex chocolate.)

Check your grocery store freezer section for grilled chicken breasts too. Nuke them for about 5 min and you can have them with a salad, brown rice, veggies, whatever. I'm a full time student so most of my meals have to be quick or on the go.

Also, if you're looking to increase muscle, try increasing your weight stack as well. :)

Rikki - shakes can be used as a meal replacement and many of them have a good dose of nutrients. If you're looking for a filling breakfast try mixing up some oatmeal with flaxmeal, a handful of almonds, some honey, cinnamon, and a splash of 2% milk or soy milk. If you want to try protein powders you can also toss in a scoop of powder. A good balance of fiber and protein will keep you feeling full longer. :)
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about protein powders, but I LOVE mine and have noticed a definite difference in my muscles since I've started drinking it. I always struggled with getting enough protein so I went ahead and got Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydro Whey. There's 30g of protein in each serving, so there's room to either stick with one serving a day or do multiple servings depending on your needs. I work out for about an hour every day of the week. I'm not doing anything too crazy intense (read: I'm not a bulky bodybuilder) and I still see the benefits of the powder.
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    It's really great that you want to added protein to your diet to help you bulk up. Just a word of caution on shakes and bars. Check their ingredients and sugar content. Plus too much protein is really hard on you liver, kidneys, and your brain. It's harder for your body to break down than carbs or fat. The processes also releases a compound that in large enough quantities can cause depression and even brain damage. I've seen it happen on people doing hard core Adkins. Just remember too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

I'm not really into shakes/bars - I find them a bit unfood like if that makes sense! ;p but thanks for the tips. Including more beans and lean meat seems like the answer...
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I picked up some Nutiva hemp seed on Amazon.

organic-shelled-hempseed.png
  • caroline150
    caroline150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese everyday...there are several fruits you can mix in to change it upl
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    I would say Peanut Butter is a good choice too, only it's typically higher in fat content, and that can be an issue too. Lean red meat or fish are good choices. I like Salmon, even though I used to hate fish. Something to think about. :)
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I never have trouble getting protein, always go over. I do like eggs so that is part of it, but if you would like to look at my food diary it's public.
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    If you aren't low carbohydrate too, then quinoa is a grain that is relatively high in protein (for a grain)

Check out the nutritional information for 1/2 a cup here:

http://www.thefatlossauthority.com/fat_loss_tips/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Quinoa-Nutrition-Facts.jpg
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing any answers to this, as I'd like to start my day with a pretty protein-rich breakfast to reduce the temptation to snack throughout the day, but I struggle to find good options.

Are protein shakes worthwhile, or more reserved for though who do a LOT of working out?

One trick I read is make more Tea the night before and save the extra for breakfast because the Tea you made will likely be higher protein than breakfast would be
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My two solutions that I use to get more protein in my diet are:

1) protein "mug cake"
    - 1 x egg (Trust me, I hate egg and I can't taste it)
    - 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
    - 1 tbsp soy milk (or any other)
    - 1 scoop protein powder
    --- Mix together, microwave on high for ~1-1.5 minute, until you can see it coming up to the top of the mug. I break it up and mix it through itself because the top tends to be more moist and the bottom more dry, so it evens out. Very filling, mine comes to ~350 cal.

2) oats + protein combo
    - 90sec microwaveable oats ( i use ones with added fibre for extra benefit)
    - 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    -- Mix those two through together with the recommended milk amt + cook
    - 1 x scoop protein powder (optional), once its cooked - you'll need to add more milk to get it mixed in and more fluid consistency depending on how you like them

~ 520cal. Again, keeps me full for about 4 hours easily - and I tend to burn through other breakfast choices quite fast (ie. have breakfast by 730/8 and be hungry again by 10.)

I have a 1700 daily cal limit and find neither of those really restrict the rest of the day at all.