Vegetarians! Meatless Monday! Vegans! Pescatarians!

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
Hello all!

I've been using Pinterest to get ideas for my diet in general, especially since I became a vegetarian last June. I was looking for a group on MFP and none of them seem active or very thorough. I'd love for people to join so we can have an active vegetarian community to share ideas and advice! The link is below. Everyone on the vegetarian spectrum is welcome to join!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/120172-vegetarians-on-mfp

Replies

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just joined :)
  • alybran
    Options
    Great! :smiley:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just throwing this out there: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

And over 11000 members strong currently.
  • crazyycatlady1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

I've looked at that group, but the header photo is pretty off-putting.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I really like that you included Meatless Monday followers. I'm more what you would call a flexitarian where I eat a varied diet of white meat and vegetarian meals so I don't feel like I fit in with a strict vegetarian crew. Joined!
  • crazyycatlady1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I really like that you included Meatless Monday followers. I'm more what you would call a flexitarian where I eat a varied diet of white meat and vegetarian meals so I don't feel like I fit in with a strict vegetarian crew. Joined!

Yep, I'm transitioning to a more whole foods, nutrient dense woe and in the process reducing my meat consumption. But there's proven health benefits of eating fish so I'm actually upping my fish intake. I don't like labels, but I'd definitely be in the flexitarian camp as well :)
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian for 10 years. Feel free to send me a friend request and/or browse my food diary. (Just don't judge me when I eat grilled cheese and cake for dinner sometimes! ;) )
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yep, I'm transitioning to a more whole foods, nutrient dense woe and in the process reducing my meat consumption. But there's proven health benefits of eating fish so I'm actually upping my fish intake. I don't like labels, but I'd definitely be in the flexitarian camp as well :)

Basa fillets are my favourite, they're like cod and pollock's cheaper, lesser known cousin. I make up a chilli and lime rub for them and they're good to go. Crazy low calorie too, if that's what you need. Salt, pepper and lemon is always really good too. As for turkey and chicken, I just happen to like them and it's a lot quicker for me to knock them up in a stir fry (singapore noodles for that spice) or a wholemeal pasta dish before training than to be weighed down by large quantities of beans and pulses. I train martial arts for two hours two nights a week and once a week for one hour so it's very much about what is calorifically dense to last the two hours but not physically large and weighing down the stomach. Meat ticks that box. Over filling your stomach makes the threat of throwing up very real. :D
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 10+ years. Feel free to ask me any questions!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've just made the change to vegetarian in the last couple of weeks. I will probably end up being a flexitarian or pescatarian since I do love sushi. ;-) But I'm taking it one day at a time, and getting lots of recipes from eatingwell.com. I also am trying to give up many ultra-processed foods. Seriously, though, I feel great, lots of energy, and although I've had terrible stomach problems and GERD for several years, I have discovered that my stomach hasn't hurt since I haven't had meat, and my GERD is almost gone. And I actually like cooking now. Go figure.
  • alybran
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I've looked at that group, but the header photo is pretty off-putting.

I saw this one as well, and while I generally align with the ideology that animals deserve humane treatment, and part of the reason for my vegetarian diet is ethical treatment of animals, I was looking for a more inclusive low-to-no-meat group with the common goal to decrease or eliminate meat intake, which I didn't find. Not only that, but that group is so large it's a bit unmanageable and hard to navigate.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I think I will join the group for some ideas! I am not vegetarian, but have been trying to eat more vegetarian meals weekly as I find I feel better that way. Yet when I tried to go full on vegetarian it did not go well either (felt like I was dragging and was always just... off). So I figure a good mix is what I personally need, leaning more towards poultry and fish when I do eat meat (though I do still eat pork and beef, just WAY less then before, maybe 2-3 times a month).

So thank you for included those of us who eat that way too!
  • alybran
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I think I will join the group for some ideas! I am not vegetarian, but have been trying to eat more vegetarian meals weekly as I find I feel better that way. Yet when I tried to go full on vegetarian it did not go well either (felt like I was dragging and was always just... off). So I figure a good mix is what I personally need, leaning more towards poultry and fish when I do eat meat (though I do still eat pork and beef, just WAY less then before, maybe 2-3 times a month).

So thank you for included those of us who eat that way too!

I started by cutting out red meat, then slowly decreased my poultry and fish intake as well. It was a slow change. Big changes to your diet can cause issues! Excited to have you join. :)