Starting adipex

Options
So I've had a lot of problems with losing weight, I have pcos! My Dr now wants me to go on adipex (think that's how it's spelled) to help me loss weight. Has anyone else every been on it? Did it help? Did you gain it back when off the meds? I'm worried about gaining it all back as soon as I'm off the meds!

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Did you get the pills? How is your body reacting to them? Sorry you didn't get any feedback. I think some may have experience with them. You can probably search some old threads.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So I've had a lot of problems with losing weight, I have pcos! My Dr now wants me to go on adipex (think that's how it's spelled) to help me loss weight. Has anyone else every been on it? Did it help? Did you gain it back when off the meds? I'm worried about gaining it all back as soon as I'm off the meds!

I'm really sorry to say this, but that's probably the most likely outcome of taking diet pills. Pills don't teach you how to recognize feeling full, how to cope with stress/boredom in ways that don't involve food, how to eat intuitively, or practice healthy diet habits. Once you stop taking the pill that curbs your appetite, all the habits that got you overweight in the first place will come flooding back. It's a better idea to get to root of why you have been having trouble losing weight, get to the root of where you keep going wrong, and work from there.

It's the whole "give a man a fish" versus the "teach a man to fish" mentality. Work on the cause, not the symptom.
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been on them about three weeks. What is important is that you use the time that you are on them, the time when they are suppressing your appetite, to learn the habits you will need. Build up your meal prep habits, learn what an actual portion size looks like, learn what actual hungry signals feel like (instead of bored eating). Gaining back after will always be a risk, no matter how you lose the weight. Apipex is not the magic answer, it is a tool to use to help you make the necessary changes to live a better life.

Oh and as of the moment I am down 13 lbs, last week I honestly I did not take my meds as directed and ate a TON of sugar (daughter's birthday, had to move, stressed *huge stress eater*) and gained a couple back. This week I really worked hard and got back on the wagon and reminded myself why I need to make a change and stick with it. This week I lost those two lbs, plus three more.

Just make sure you have a great support system and most of all make sure you keep YOUR REASON for why you need to make this change at the front of your mind. Without motivation, there is no reason for change.
  • vmtama27
    vmtama27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I took it and lost weight I was always wired up. I stopped and I gained it all back. I started MGP almost 1 year ago I've lost 47lbs and have maintained#!
  • MarcMiller3
    MarcMiller3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 3 months. It really does work, BUT you have to learn how to portion control or you will gain it back after you quit taking them. Good luck. I would recommend that you give it a try.
  • cookseyh99
    cookseyh99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on them for two weeks. I have lost almost 10 pounds so far. I cannot speak from experience on the likeliness of gaining it back, but I agree with the previous poster that said that is a risk with any Diet. I think taking a weight loss aid is worth a shot if you are going into it with the right mentality. It can't be for a quick fix. I researched adipex a lot before beginning it, and the majority of those that did keep the weight off have done so because they 1. Gradually took themselves off the pills, and 2. Continued tracking their food just as they had before. No pill MAKES you lose weight. If I ate and drank like I did before beginning adipex while I was ON it, I would not have lost weight. But I made a lifestyle change. My weight loss is because of that change. Adipex is just a tool to help get there by suppressing appetite. I have no doubt after finishing adipex that my appetite will come back. But it's about control! And remember what has been learned in the process.

Also, many people on adipex DONT eat, at least not a healthy amount. So of course they gain afterward! The suppressant can make you completely forget about food. So I have to plan my meals ahead of time, stick to the optimal caloric intake, and make Sure I stick to that meal plan. If someone only eats 600 cals a day on adipex, they can't realistically continue that OFF adipex, so they gain! I eat 1,200 calories per day. I eat whatever I want one day a week to satiate any cravings. And I don't allow any foods to be "off the table" so to speak. I know after adipex I will have a drink occasionally. So I will lose weight by having a drink occasionally as well. I just moderate what I am putting in my body now!

I hope that helps.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My experience with Adipex...
    Several years ago (I think I was 24 years old) I had about 50-60 lbs to lose. I lost 30 on my own and hit a plateau. A doctor prescribed Adipex to me. Because I was worried about gaining it back, I was pretty strategic about it. I hardly ate at all. When I did, I took vitamins and ate protein bars and/or salads with protein, just to make sure I was still getting nutrients. I'm sure it was less than 1000 calories per day. I also hardly slept and had a ton of energy. I taught myself a new programming language and built a website from scratch in two days, including doing all the photography for it. I also went to the gym for probably 2 hours a day. I know none of this behavior is healthy, but I knew it was temporary. I ended up losing an additional, 30... 5-10 of which I probably didn't need to lose. After I was done with them, I set MFP to maintenance calories. I regained about 10 lbs slowly over a few months, but it was probably mostly muscle because I was working out, running, doing yoga, and eating (obsessively) healthy.
    Again, I was 24 at the time. I was also recently single and had no social life. I maintained the loss for about 2 years. I gained a social life, but still made time for prepping healthy foods and working out. When I started dating my husband, I regained about 30-40 pounds over 4-5 years. I could have maintained it if I'd found a balance with being healthy and having treats, and maintained a healthy lifestyle. It really is all about the lifestyle you lead after you stop taking it. It can help you lose weight, but you have to work hard to maintain that loss.
  • shabanabibi1986
    shabanabibi1986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried it and lost10lbs, but had to discontinue bc of very bad headaches.