Cricket flour?

Options

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one disgusted and repulsed by this?

No, you're not the only one. But maybe you could be a bit less judgy about where people some get their protein?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    How about a chapulines taco? They're delicious.

4b81bbfe-979b-4f88-b56e-16615b7a443a.jpg

I would not eat that. I have an aversion to "legs". I don't touch any food that has legs unless that has been remedied in some way (like peeled shrimp or crab meat). Now if these were ground and made into fried cricket balls I would not think twice before giving them a try.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's not in fact a typo in the post title, and it is in fact the super gross thing I was afraid it would be. Hell will freeze over before I'll eat bugs of any kind.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Deep fried spiders are not all that bad... taste a bit like crunchy peanuts...

It just takes some work to get over the aversion of all those legs...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No, but I've contemplated buying some to make like cricket meatballs for my lizards. :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm oddly fascinated. Though I did try deep fried crickets in Thailand, so I guess I'm not easily put off ;)

I'm fascinated too, keep meaning to try it. I've also eaten crickets, though, and even more (to me) weird things.

Of course, last time this topic came up I got endless ads on MFP for it and supposedly related things (Larvet, the orginal worm snack), so I am expecting that to happen again!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Recently I saw a green cricket in my balcony! It was on the windows and it looked like a leaf with long legs
    And I also saw one outside and it leaped from one place to another
    I was terrified :/3vc8zf8kgqd8.png

Katydid!!

Yes, I like insects. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've eaten cricket tacos, so I'm not repulsed, but I don't quite get the point of making flour from them. High-protein, gluten free? I can't imagine it would work well in baked goods. Is it for coating fried foods?

Seems to be more like a protein powder.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Nope I'm not disgusted by it, why would a cricket gross people out but a shrimp doesn't?

Shrimp ARE pretty freaky now that you mention it. Delicious, delicious freaks.

Yep.

I had friends act weirded out one time when I ordered snails, which I thought was weird, because snails are kind of normal. Then I thought about slugs and got it, and then went back to eating my delicious snails.

But humans are irrational -- I don't really like the thought of eating snake even though my dad insists it's good, and I like eel, which isn't that different. I'd eat snake if I had it offered and well-prepared, though, since I will try most things and dislike irrational reactions like I have to it (wouldn't try cat or dog, but admit it's totally cultural, and wouldn't eat a primate, I'm sure there are other things).
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Crickets creep me the hell out. I had a bit of a traumatic experience with one as a kid, and I've avoided them like the plague since. I harbor no judgment towards wherever people want to get their protein (aside from cannibalism, of course :wink: ), but I don't know that I could ever knowingly eat any kind of bug in any form. Gives me the willies.
  • itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah but snails don't have legs....and antennas. I reluctently tried snails once..they were actually pretty good but I still couldn't get over what they were.

I'll only eat shrimp if they're deviend...I don't want to eat shrimp poop.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I think the reason they make it into flour is to be less repulsive.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If crickets were cheaper I'd give them a go.
  • PL4TNM
    PL4TNM Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Ma'am? Say Ma'am there appears to be a bug in my taco ;)
  • PL4TNM
    PL4TNM Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Isn't there just squishy guts inside and skin, creepy legs and eyes...nahhh I'm good
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options

I would not eat that. I have an aversion to "legs". I don't touch any food that has legs unless that has been remedied in some way (like peeled shrimp or crab meat). Now if these were ground and made into fried cricket balls I would not think twice before giving them a try.

You would not like frog legs then! Even I couldn't get over that "leggy-ness" and I generally am pretty open to that that stuff
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    If crickets were cheaper I'd give them a go.

You could try catching some in your backyard :wink:
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Crickets are known carriers of parasites. It makes me wonder how the crickets are processed that parasites are not a problem? Is there any nutritive value left after that? Yes I'm quite ignorant on the subject :)