Strength training machines or free weights???

Options
I've decided to begin incorporating strength training into my workout routine. My gym has every strength training machine imaginable, and I was wondering if any other ladies out there do the majority of their strength training using machines versus free weights! I'm not sure which is the better option.

If it matters at all, I'm a 5'3'' female and have 12 lbs left to lose!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I like using both :)

Not helpful, but I think both have their place.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As a fellow short lady, I prefer free weights - the machines are designed for someone at least an inch or two taller at minimum, so IME I can't use them as effectively. I can't maintain good posture in the seats for leg exercises; even with the seat back pushed as far foward as it can go, my hips need to be scooted a little bit forward to get my legs hooked in. I can't reach handles for arm exercises from a seated position, so I have to either hold onto them while I'm resting, awkwardly half-stand to finish a set, or drop the weights.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    +1 for free weights. You are forced to stabilize yourself more thus using more muscles and a lot more bang for your buck using compound movements than the weight machines.

But machines have their place as well and I like using the cables and various other machines for my assistance exercises.
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Each has benefits. Free weights recruit other muscles and work those a bit too, and machines hone in on the muscle you want to work to hit it hard. A mix would probably be beneficial!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have used mostly free weights but find a great place for some machines like the lat band pull down and the tricep dip machine and cable machine where I can have counter weight. If your gym offers a free training session or you can book a paid session with the trainer it might be worth it to give you a plan to follow to meet your goals.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I like to incorporate both
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also use both. However I use more free weights because I prefer them, plus I workout at home so I have limited equipment.
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Free wts ~cable ~ machine.... free wts r def best bang incorporating stabilizing muscles but if beginning I suggest trying machine first getting the movement n understanding which muscle u r targeting then mimic with free wts so u can get the movement down and smash the muscle group u r wanting to work
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    IMO free weights should the core of your workout and the machines only used for supporting lifts or for exercises that need some sore of mechanical assistance like chinups or lat pulldowns. I think the workout is better, you can do more with free weights and the movement is more natural.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Fee weights are almost always the better option. Machines have their uses, but I think a person should use free weights for the majority of their training.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Free weights are the core of my workout. I used machines for accessories/isolation exercises at the end of my free weight routine.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I love the machines and that's what I use now. The pros for me is that it's a set circuit. I do the full circuit and in between weights there is a bit of cardio to keep your heartrate elevated. You can do the entire circuit in 30 minutes, so good for me when I'm pressed for time or I need to be disciplined. I also think they are good for beginners because they help keep your form in check. However, I'm thinking of switching over to free weights because I think they make your body work harder and it helps develop balance. I'm not a trainer or anything, just my experience!
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have tried free weights for years... just have trouble making myself do it. I have been doing machines for the last 3+ months and I have been able to stick with it better. So whatever works for you!