New mama!

Options
Hello! I used to be an avid MFP user and successfully lost 35-40 lbs 6 years ago; I am 5'6" and went from a HW of 170 lbs to 130 lbs which I maintained (give or take 5-10 lbs) for the last 6 years. I recently had my first baby, a beautiful little boy on 03/20/17 (about 3.5 weeks ago) and am on a mission to not only get my old body back to look even better than before! The thing is, I only gained 21 lbs in my pregnancy, pretty much all of it being baby and other pregnancy related fluids etc., so I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight after one week. I'm thrilled with this, but my body just looks different particularly in the tummy region which used to be my favourite area. Any mamas out there, or knowledgeable folks in general, who can provide advice as to how I might be able to accomplish this? Thanks!

Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Your tummy muscles aren't as strong as they were before your pregnancy. Abdominal exercises might be the way to go. (I am very impressed that you got down to your pre-pregnancy weight so quickly btw.) :smiley:
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Its been 3 and a half weeks. Your stomach has had its muscles and ligaments and skin stretched out for 9 months. Give it time for everything to settle down and wait for you 6 - 8 week post partum check before you take exercise back up

We have mum fit classes here (circuit training) but the wont take new mums until the 3 month mark
  • wpg2mpls
    wpg2mpls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've already started some exercise with my OBs blessings- I worked out my whole pregnancy so she had no problem with me starting back earlier than usual. No heavy weights yet or running.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm going to just say this: In preparation for delivery, your ligaments loosen up so that your pelvis can unhinge like a snake's jaw. They tighten back up, but it can take awhile, and if you exercise too hard before they do that, you may find yourself very uncomfortable and regretting going too hard.

Take it easy getting back into the swing of things, not only are your ligaments still loose, but your balance has quite suddenly shifted.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome back :)
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Just echoing what others have said, give your body time. Honestly, things will probably never be exactly the same as they were before baby...but things will eventually get better.
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My belly use to be my fav part of my body too. I had such an enviable flat stomach. But after two kids it is a bit saggy and has stretch marks and it will never exactly be the same again. Don't be ashamed of it, your body went through a lot! :) Awesome on losing the baby weight so quick. I have a 6 mo old and still have a lot to lose.
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Jillian Michael's video Healthy Mamma Hot Body which is for ladies who are looking to get their pre-baby muscles/strength back. She has modifications for all the workouts so you can do the workout with lesser strain for some of us who need that. However like some other people have just be careful, the women in the videos are all 3 months postpartum. Good luck! :smile: