Let's do cardio

Options
What is the cardio exercises you do most.? Are they successful? I personally ride on a bike machine. And plan on doing lots of walking when summer roles around.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Long walks and a fitness glider. And I'd say both are pretty successful...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I cycle, mostly outdoors in beautiful countryside but also train indoors through necessity.
    4000+ miles last year and probably more this year.

Successful - yes I'm fitter than ever despite advancing years and it also makes me happy.
    That meets my definition of successful but what is your definition OP?
  • Angall08
    Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What I mean by definition is losing weight mostly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I ride a bike machine, too. :smile:

32990987363_0f0ce87444_o_d.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Anyone who succeeded at losing weight was in a calorie deficit (consumed fewer calories than they burned). Cardio can help increase that calorie deficit - as can strength training or other activities - but cardio really should be done for fitness purposes, with no intent of weight loss. For fitness, i go on short runs throughout the day, and do strength training, boxing, and other activities each week. That doesn't change based on my weight. :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cycling mostly...some hiking here and there...rock climbing gym a couple times per month...trampoline park with the kiddos.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I exercised a lot when I was fat for 20 years.
    I exercised a lot when I was losing weight.
    I exercise a lot while I'm maintaining.

Suppose you could say weight loss was easier while exercising as I got to eat more food while keeping to a sensible calorie deficit. So yes by your definition "successful".
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Exercise can help in that exercise increases energy expenditure to some extent...but it doesn't default to weight loss. It ultimately comes down to diet really...I train my *kitten* off in maintenance and I maintain...because I eat a maintenance level of calories. I drop weight when I eat a little less...my exercise doesn't really change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cardio is for cardiovascular fitness. Yes you can burn a lot of calories, but if you eat up to your TDEE or over, you WON'T LOSE WEIGHT. And it's not uncommon in gyms across America. Lots of people will log in hours and hours of cardio, but still have no body fat loss or change because they aren't actively paying attention to calorie consumption.
    Cardio, like other exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit (which can be assisted by exercise) is for weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346155/cardio-isnt-for-fat-burning/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Angall08
    Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Exercise can help in that exercise increases energy expenditure to some extent...but it doesn't default to weight loss. It ultimately comes down to diet really...I train my *kitten* off in maintenance and I maintain...because I eat a maintenance level of calories. I drop weight when I eat a little less...my exercise doesn't really change.

So you mean if you eat lower calories exercise or not you will lose weight?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

yes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

Correct. You HAVE to eat under your total energy burned in a day to lose weight. So if you burn a total of 2000 calories in a day, but eat 2100 calories in a day, you'll gain weight even if you're exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I do think that it's okay to make cardio about weight loss, though. I hate cardio, but I do it so that I can eat more without gaining weight. However, you do have to keep in mind that at the end of the day, it's about burning less calories than you consume. As long as you grasp that, you'll be successful in losing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Yes, I don't do cardio, I lift because I enjoy it. The calorie intake is what causes the weight loss, not the exercise.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My cardio is heavy breathing while eating...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I run...not for weight loss, but because I have come to enjoy it. I would consider it a success, as my distance and time have improved and I have developed a love of trail running now.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Yes...

Calories are a unit of energy...the majority of your calorie requirements are derived from your mere existence along with going about your daily whatever. Exercise adds a bit of energy expenditure but generally pales in comparison to the rest (outside of being or training like an athlete which is also going to require a substantial amount of fuel). Exercise also has some impact on hormones and how your body delivers nutrients and in general is good for overall wellness and health.

Just as an example, with my desk job and other daily with zero exercise I maintain on about 2,400 calories per day...If I eat 1,900 I will drop about 1 Lb per week. With regular exercise I maintain on 2,700-3,000 depending...meaning I could then eat 2,200-2,500 and drop about 1 Lb per week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Gardening is the one I do the most. It is very successful because it burns calories, builds muscle, keeps my cardio-vascular system happy and gives me food to eat.

Hiking is what I like best, but gardening demands more time.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Running. Lots, and lots of running.