Ladies Who Lift- Any Advice?

Options
I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last 50 days, but I only started lifting around two and a half weeks ago. I'm a lifelong athlete, so I'm no stranger to lifting weights. However, I just cannot remember what exactly my routine was when I was at my lowest, most muscular weight (149) a few years ago. My weight loss has slowed since I've started lifting weights, but I don't even care about the scale because I've lost inches so I know I'm doing something right.

I'm including my stats, so PLEASE feel free to tell me what I could change to continue strengthening muscles while still losing fat.

198 lbs; 5'7
TDEE= 2700
Current calorie goal= 1600, but I usually hit around 1500 before I'm full (No, I don't eat exercise cals back and yes, I'm logging accurately)
Protein= 100+ grams per day
Carbs= Under 70 grams/day (I can't eat more than this due to medication)
In general, my diet is 85% "clean"

For workouts:

Squats (regular and lunge)- 5x5 110 lbs
Bench press- 5x5 70 lbs
Bent over rows- 5x5 90 lbs
One arm rows- 50 lbs
Military bench press- 5x5 70 lbs
Lat pull downs- 5x5 50 lbs
Weighted lunges- 35 each leg w 15 lb weights
Overhead press- 15 w/ 30 lbs

What else could I include to improve? I can't do deadlifts because I'm not a gym that allows that, but anything else is greatly appreciated!

- Victoria

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great start . Our stats are almost the same and I lift heavy too - if you want to connect for support

I am confused about why you are not allowed to do deadlifts ?? What about hip thrusts ? I like doing weighted step ups . I would maybe add some more exercises for biceps & triceps
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness. It's not the best gym in the world, but it's all I can afford right now! So I'm doing what I can there. Oh, I usually finish with a steep incline walk for ~10 minutes as well.

I do some biceps curls with 12 lbs weights every other day, but I'm not sure that's the best. I also don't do many of them. I cant say I know many tricep exercises!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am not a lady but if you are looking for more tricep exercises, I like tricep extensions or dips. Planet fitness should have a machine for assisted dips and pullups.

r2zd9a2aixu6.png

...and congrats on getting back into the gym.
  • vtemp2013
    Options
    @Chadxx thanks! I actually did some of those the last time I was at the gym (for the first time)! I tend to watch for what a lot of people are doing, then copy it with the best form I can. You'd think since I'm an anatomy teacher I would've realized that's for triceps!

Currently I do the machine for legs that moves the body up and down in a seat- kind of like a reverse leg press. Would it be better to do the actual leg press machine instead, or does this work just as well?
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    vtemp2013 wrote: »
    @Chadxx thanks! I actually did some of those the last time I was at the gym (for the first time)! I tend to watch for what a lot of people are doing, then copy it with the best form I can. You'd think since I'm an anatomy teacher I would've realized that's for triceps!

Currently I do the machine for legs that moves the body up and down in a seat- kind of like a reverse leg press. Would it be better to do the actual leg press machine instead, or does this work just as well?

I don't think it really makes much difference as long as you are getting the right resistance and range of motion but personally, I like a regular leg press better. I don't really care for the ones at Planet Fitness.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have lifted weights off and on since my teens (I'm 47). When I started lifting this time it most definitely slowed my weight loss down. I tend to have way more water fluctuation then I did pre-lifting but I think I also look better as I'm losing. I think it might just come with the territory when you choose to lift while trying to lose?
  • vtemp2013
    Options
    @ronjsteele1 I agree. My weight is definitely impacted by water weight a lot more, especially since I just started back at lifting. It goes up, back to 198, up, back to 198 with not much change lower. So I decided to not look at the scale much anymore, and now I'm not so stressed. Getting fit has gotten fun again! Even though my weight is the same, I've already gotten down a pant size and can see my waist!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look great for two weeks!
  • skohnes
    skohnes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Muscle eats fat :smiley: But you need to gain it to do it... Do you have a scale that does more than just weight? I would suggest getting one to monitor fat/muscle/water weight. I love lifting and have just returned to it after a couple years off due to health reasons. Try and focus on the non Lbs related success - like muscle %, body measurements and how clothes fit/you feel in them. OK last part didn't come out like it did in my head... but you know what I mean... "look my butt looks lifted" or "damn I look good in this outfit" kind of things.

Nothing wrong with Planet Fitness - You could "deadlift" with kettle bells or similar...

One of the things I struggled with was inflammation (precursor to medical situation) after a heavy work out. My inflammation showed up on the scale and in bloat. So as long as your hydrating (seems like it) and including recovery/active recovery you should be good.

Way to kick some tush!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of/tried StrongLifts 5x5 or similar type workouts? Also, when/how do you increase your weight to lift progressively more? I enjoyed SL because the app told me how much and when to increase weight based on performing all reps well. I would fail myself when I knew I didn't finish that last rep properly so it does require you being honest with yourself. There are lots of helpful videos on proper form right in the app too. How often do you lift?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Are you doing all of those exercises on one day?
    I would look into an established/progressive program to give you a little more direction.
    ^Strong Lifts is a popular barbell program (but it has deadlifts)
    Strong Curves is popular among the women here.
    There's also a thread about different programs.
    Eta link to the thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • vtemp2013
    Options
    I lift 4-5 times a week, full cardio only one day (hiking with my dog or bike riding the levee on Saturdays) with Sunday being my rest day. If my body feels weak, I also take a rest day. I believe that if it tells me to slow down, I should. I'm not trying to get insanely quick results, just sustainable ones! The last thing I want is to feel absolutely exhausted if I don't have to.

As far as progressive weights go, I do a "modified" stronglift program if you will. If I can perfectly do 5x5 of a lift, I then add ten pounds to the next workout. I'll stay at that weight until I do it perfectly- which is what I did when I was an intense athlete as well. It seems to be working as I see changes in my body and feel stronger every day!

Right now I'm trying to build up my muscle base and then target certain areas once enough fat is gone to see a little more definition. Stronglifts sounded awesome, so I based my plans on that. But now I may have to check out some others you've mentioned! Thank you (:
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I recommend one of the New Rules of Lifting programs, either for Women or Strong. Strong is the newest one and I love it and I completed for Women earlier this year.

The biggest piece of advice is to get into a routine :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you doing all of those exercises on one day?
    I would look into an established/progressive program to give you a little more direction.
    ^Strong Lifts is a popular barbell program (but it has deadlifts)
    Strong Curves is popular among the women here.
    There's also a thread about different programs.
    Eta link to the thread - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

This. I think most people should start out following a program. That link has lots of great lifting programs.

The reason for following a program is to ensure it is well rounded and that you have appropriate recovery time.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    vtemp2013 wrote: »

Squats (regular and lunge)- 5x5 110 lbs
    Bench press- 5x5 70 lbs
    Bent over rows- 5x5 90 lbs
    One arm rows- 50 lbs
    Military bench press- 5x5 70 lbs
    Lat pull downs- 5x5 50 lbs
    Weighted lunges- 35 each leg w 15 lb weights
    Overhead press- 15 w/ 30 lbs

What else could I include to improve? I can't do deadlifts because I'm not a gym that allows that, but anything else is greatly appreciated!

- Victoria

When I design my own workouts, I try to pick lifts based on body parts to ensure that I get a good total body routine built for each week. Most workouts/ sites would break it down to chest, back (sometimes split into upper back, mid back), shoulders, Triceps, biceps for upper body. Glutes, Quads, hamstrings, calves for lower body.

The biggest glare I can see from your lifts is that you are missing the Hamstrings since you cut out deadlifts but didn't replace it with a comparable exercise. I'd look into whether or not Romanian deadlifts or stiff-legged deadlifts fall under the no lift ban. If not add one of those (they're pretty similar). If those are banned as well, I'd look at trying out Good Mornings or, if nothing else works, resort to leg curls on a machine.

You also have three back exercises (Lat Pull down, Bent over Rows, One arm rows). While Lat pull downs and bent over rows do work enough different muscles to warrant keeping both, I'd ditch the One arm rows for something better/different.

Though I tend to call them vanity lifts, you are also missing Triceps, biceps and calves. While those muscles do get worked with the lifts you already have, isolating specific lifts for them can help compliment an overall strength growth, but it probably won't make too much of an impact as far as weightloss. For me.. I hate the arm flap, so Tricep pull downs are always a must for me and I love, love love, having a big bicep pop out when I flex, so standing dumbell curls or preacher curls are another I include. I do ignore my calves because they are already HUGE and tend to get worked out hard during my cardio sessions (lots o jumping in aerobics and zumba)

The only other thing I would point out is to make sure you are giving each muscle group a full 48 hrs (a full rest day) between workouts. Stronglifts was designed to be only 3 days a week, not 4-5. If you are wanting to stick with a 4 day workout... look more towards an upper body/lower body split style workout. Basically.. something like this

Day 1 - Upper body - Bench press, Bent over Rows, overhead press, Tricep pull downs, Bicep curls
    Day 2 - Lower body - Squats, Good mornings, lunges, calf raises, ab work
    Day 3 - rest\cardio
    Day 4 - repeat Upper body (this day can be a different set of upper body lifts if you'd like)
    Day 5 - repeat Lower body
    Day 6 - rest\cardio
    Day 7 - rest