Loose Skin: helpful tips?

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
Hi everyone! At my heaviest I was 320lbs, I'm about halfway to my goal but I already have an "apron" type hang over. This is embarrassing for me so please follow the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" guidelines.

The hang over is low enough to pass my undies and onto my thighs and I've been having trouble keeping the area dry. My work is very active, I nanny for recently mobile infant twins so I'm constantly in motion and this area is quick to get wet and uncomfortable. Yesterday was the first time it sweated through my light colored pants :( it was horribly embarrassing.

What can I do in the mean time? I may never be able to afford removal and I'm not yet ready to buy anything new (I've thought a pair of Spanx to hold it up higher would help but I'm still actively losing)

I have resorted to placing a folded up paper towel :( help please!

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Gold bond
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would try some stick anti perspirant in the area. I used to use that for my thigh when wearing a dress to avoid chaffing and it worked wonders for that... Maybe it will work for your problem too?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    sand86802 wrote: »
    I would try some stick anti perspirant in the area. I used to use that for my thigh when wearing a dress to avoid chaffing and it worked wonders for that... Maybe it will work for your problem too?

I will have to try, I'm just not sure it could hold up all day. I may have to start bringing extra changes of clothes with me to work.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Even though you are still actively losing, you can still buy a piece or two of compression wear. Every show I watch with people who have skin removal surgery, they all wear compression wear before hand to stop the rubbing and chaffing and general uncomfortable feeling. Apparently, it does help somewhat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of using a sweat blocking deodorants like Mitchum on the area?
    Don't block sweat on top of skin. It can cause heat rash to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Compression wear is your best bet. Dry fit even better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Conpression wear and sometimes if it gets bad I have diaper rash or zinc cream on hand.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There are powders that help keep you drier. I use one under my breasts. I can't remember what it's called (not Gold Bond).

I've heard it helps stretched out skin when you massage and/or dry brush it (increases circulation) and do weight lifting. I don't have a lot of personal experience, however.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want to buy clothing, but something like spanks would be ideal in this situation.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights big time ! And more cardio- look into doing Kettle bell workouts too
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to ninerbuff had bad experience with deodorants on thighs. Talcum powder did wonders ,butt that was me. Then I found compression clothing an it was even better.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A powder like Gold Bond is what helped me.

I have mixed feelings about compression wear. It helps the flopping when being active but wearing it all day every day can be uncomfortable and exacerbate the sweating issue.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hopefully talcum product is no longer on the market; it's associated with ovarian cancer.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Go with ninerbuff's suggestion and find some dry fit compression wear.

You may prefer slightly loser wear, that is still supportive, for work, and something a little closer fitting for evening if you are going out.

The compression wear will also support the excess skin and fat helping prevent further sag due to gravity.

Massage, dry brushing, exercise, etc, does help with circulation, which in turn helps with cel turnover and nutrient delivery throughout the body, including proteins, collagen, and elastin, and may help with loose skin recovery over time, however @brb_2013 has excess skin and this will do little to resolve her problem.
    It may improve the appearance.

Cheers, h.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Check with your Dr. And insurance company. Some will assist in coverage of plastics if you have medically documented rashes or mobility issues.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Diaper rash cream applied daily will help protect the skin and rashes. Congrats on your loss! Don't let this discourage you, at all. Keep it going.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Talcum powder was associated with ovarian cancer when repeatedly applied to the exterior of the V. Make sure you wash, carefully dry, then apply the gold bond or other powder. Gold bond is medicated but things like shower to shower are just scented talcum powder. Because its warm & moist area will become a huge problem for you and the minute you have a rash or fungal infection there life will suck. Just prep well in am, inspect while in rest room and reapply as needed. Not ideal, but it will help keep your skin intact.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to natural breathable fibers in your clothing. Maybe something like cotton leggings with a skirt over it.

You might even consider 100% cotton pads in the problem regions, that way you can change out the pads when you get uncomfortable and need to freshen up. If they're quilted cotton, they can be laundered and dried when you do a load of clothes. You may still sweat, but there will be air circulation and bacteria will not be a factor at least. Spanx and other compression garments can be hot and are not a nice fabric, especially if you're concerned about bacteria/smells that result from bacteria. I don't recommend those at all.