Fitting room mirrors...AHHHHH

Options
So I went to Target and Kohls yesterday to try and find a swimsuit for my little get-a-way next month and HOLY COW did those fitting room mirrors made me feel like I weigh 10lbs more than I do! When I looked in the mirror all I saw was lots of blubber and cellulite. :noway: Lets just say I walked out of there feeling pretty crappy, but when I got home and looked in 3 different mirrors in my house I felt a little better. So, which mirrors are being nice and which ones are being honest? :tongue: Anybody else notice this?

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah, I've noticed! I left JCPenny's with no swim suit last week for the same reason, and yes, I felt like crap, too.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You'd think they'd sell more clothes if they had mirrors that were slightly "funny" to elongate us and make us look slimmer.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fitting rooms tend to have harsh lighting, which casts shadows in a really unnatural way.
    It's a mystery to me why they do this, as I'm sure they'd sell more clothes under flattering - or even just natural - light. Daylight fluro bulbs don't cost all that bloody much...
  • leopardvice
    Options
    i always feel like the fitting room mirrors flatter me and so i buy something and get home and feel disgusting. personally i think its a marketing ploy
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    This frustrates me every time :grumble:
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    i always feel like the fitting room mirrors flatter me and so i buy something and get home and feel disgusting. personally i think its a marketing ploy

I couldn't agree more! I usually have to come home and try my new clothes on immediately JUST to make sure that I still like them!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am about hte same I go to the fitting room I get nervous though and when I try some thing on I feel good if it looks nice but then when I get home try it on here I feel crappy some times odd.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Wow, that's funny. I'm the complete opposite... I think something looks terrible on me in the fitting room, but if I were to try it on at home I may like it.
  • michaelaam18
    Options
    I noticed that today. I work in a very popular clothing store in the UK and we get a 50% discount. We just got a bunch of new stock today, so after my shift I went and tried a bunch of stuff on. I've gone down a size, but I felt bigger than ever. I haven't felt that fat in forever, I hate their mirrors/lighting :(.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    Yup ... I hear the Fittest.. Firmest Gals with the same complaint.. Fitting Rooms SUCK.. not sure the I have ever been in one that I like
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    YESS! OMG what are they thinking??

I find that Ann Taylor Loft has "smart mirrors and lighting" I feel pretty when I look in the mirror and end up buying anything that fits!:laugh:
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Fitting room mirrors = my worst enemy.

I HATE the places that have those semi-360 mirrors too. Lane Bryant does that and I was always like "gods... I look like such a fat cow."

I order my swimming suits online just so I don't have to put myself through it.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Fitting room mirrors are the worst. they OUGHT to be providing mood lighting and margaritas and instead they have the worst mirrors ever. But.............recently I went to Marshalls and they had the number one, worst in the world mirrors and lights that I have ever experienced. The lighting in the room made the veins in my leg glow this odd green color and I thought I was hideously disfigured. I mean....I'm 54....I've got a little cellulite and a couple of small varicose veins, but I was SO relieved to get home and see that I didn't have any hideously green glowing veins after all!
    I DIDN'T buy anything that day and I would NEVER go back there if it meant using their mirrors again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Kohl's mirrors are particularly unkind.
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This was me yesterday at the mall! I tried on sooo many things and came home with 1 shirt.....that I didn't try on first! LOL
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I avoid this completely since I hate dressing room mirrors and am used to the ones I have at home. I find my size, buy it and go home to try it on. If I really don't like it, I just return it...

:flowerforyou:
  • spark1377
    spark1377 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Target's mirrors are the worst!!! Never try stuff on there. I just buy it and return it if it doesn't work.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret and White House Black Market have "skinny" mirrors. I am positive.
  • kpatt2011
    kpatt2011 Posts: 8
    Options
    I notice that...that's why I hate shopping...so what I have started doing is trying things on...and letting a girlfriend tell me if it looks good or not...I don't even look in the dressing room mirrors anymore.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad it is not just me! I think what I will end up doing from now on is buy my size and take it home and try it on... That way I will most likely end up with some cute clothes instead of walking out of the store with nothing and feeling disgusting! :smile: