How I lost 35 pounds since Jan 9, 2017

Options
Hello fellow fitness pals,

I am a 30 year old male from California. Just like many of you I have struggled with my weight since my teenage years. I have tried every diet that one can imagine but was never able to stay on course long enough to lose significant weight or even maintain the loss that I had accomplished. This year I decided that I need to try something different since what I always tried never worked. First of all I am no longer in the "all or nothing" mindset. Before if I did not eat clean it meant I also did not work out that day, week, or month. If I overate one day it would be very hard to get back on track. Now I try my best to eat clean but if I DECIDE to indulge I get myself back on track the very next day. Also I have worked really hard to not link working out with my eating. I treat the two as separate entities and now I always workout on my selected days regardless how I ate that day.

So here is what my eating and working out looked like for the past 3.5 months. The first week I lowered my carb intake to 50 carbs but did NOT count calories. After the first 7 days I kept my carbs within the 50-100 grams range but lowered my calories to 1700 calories. I workout with moderate intensity 4 times a week for about 45-60 minutes. One day a week for (me it is Mondays) I cut my carbs to 50 or less and kept to 1700 calories. The first couple of days was difficult but once your body adjusts you start to have more energy and feel more control over your appetite. In the past 3.5 months I think I have had about 10 days scattered throughout the 14 weeks where I overindulged but I got back on this plan the next day.

Here are some things that also helped me:
1. Never let yourself get so hungry that you lose control. For me this meant I had small snacks with me to keep me in control until next meal time. Raw walnuts (3-4 halves or almonds 1/4 cup, or high protein/low carb shakes and bars will do)
2. All of my high carbs were consumed earlier in the day. Fruits and grains were usually with breakfast or early lunch. My dinners were very low carb.
3. I take a high quality fiber supplement twice a day after each meal. This helps with constipation and helps you feel fuller and has tons of health benefits.
4. I only weigh myself once a week and never more.
5. Accepted that fact that I could never go back to the way I was eating before. Once my weight loss goal is reached I will add more healthy carbs continue tracking everything that goes into my body.

Would love to connect with you guys and continue this journey together. Feel free to add me as a friend. Also if you questions please let me know.

Replies

• lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes I think that's the thing. You can never go back to those bad habits. I have lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks. I was STARVING for the first 2 or 3 weeks but I kept telling myself that nothing tastes as good as being skinny will feel :-). And I also reminded myself that it takes 3-6 weeks to make new habits. So now after 5 weeks, I do not feel the urge to grab food every time I sit. I do not feel the urge to snack before bed. I am still hungry, but it's not the only thing I can think about.

I have 15 lbs to go but I plan to keep the food and exercise diary when I am done, because it helps me to be conscious, and I know if I am not, I will fall into my old habits. The only difference once I make my goal weight is that I will eat a "normal" (i.e. too much) meal at restaurants and enjoy myself. The rest of the time it will be pretty much the same as I eat now, since I'm used to it. I will be able to afford the extra calories every week or two by basically undereating the rest of the time.

Good luck, good job...congratulations! Keep it up! You Rock!
  • Daveacpa2
    Daveacpa2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm interested in knowing more specifics about the high quality fiber supplement.
  • papatt1954
    papatt1954 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Like you overweight my whole life. Retired 4 years ago and got worse about moving. But trying to do myself a favor by exercising (enjoying water aerobics) and eating better. Thanks for sharing.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have started watching my carbs also, made a big difference. I drink little bit of apple cider vinegar which helps with constipation as well as good for other stuff.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weightloss. can you share which fiber supplements you took?
  • gagik91201
    gagik91201 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! Those that were inquiring about the fiber I use Organic Triple Fiber By Renew Life. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Triple-Fiber-Renew-Life/dp/B002FJW16U
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Good job! I sent you a friend request. Is hiking part of your exercise?
  • gagik91201
    gagik91201 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Frida, I only hike once a month. The majority of my workouts take place at my gym. I feel like I am more motivated to push myself more at the gym.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!