Planet fitness tanning beds

Options
tasha12004
tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
I have been using planet fitness since January and I realized the other day I am so PALE. I wanted to try the tanning beds but I'm not sure if they are as good as they say. The limit on both standing up and laying down beds is 9 minutes. Do you actually get a good tan? Want to be sure before I try it.

Replies

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My dad regularly has cancer spots burned from his face, head and arms. Self tanners have come a long way...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Seriously - don't. Explore modern technological advances in spray-on tanning.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    I have been using planet fitness since January and I realized the other day I am so PALE. I wanted to try the tanning beds but I'm not sure if they are as good as they say. The limit on both standing up and laying down beds is 9 minutes. Do you actually get a good tan? Want to be sure before I try it.

Yes you do, you also damage your skin causing premature aging and increasing your risk of skin cancer.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you decide to do it (I tan) invest in a good tanning booth lotion. It helps reduce potential skin damage and can actually help you tan easier (which means less sessions/time spent under the lamps). Most tanning beds have special bulbs to reduce your exposure to harmful rays.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    First, the time in the bed depends on the type of bulbs. 9 minutes could be more than enough. second, the amount and type of UV waves are controlled in a tanning bed. Third, research has shown, contrary to popular opinion, that tanning beds are relatively safe and that most skin cancers (that are not genetic) are traceable to skin damage (that is burns, not tans). Fourth there are health benefits to tanning such as production of vitamin D. With the caveat that is with most things, do not overdo it.

• cassandrarodriguez89
    cassandrarodriguez89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My sister used to be very white. Now she is tan. She also has more wrinkles than my mother. Moral of story? Never tan.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you decide to do it (I tan) invest in a good tanning booth lotion. It helps reduce potential skin damage and can actually help you tan easier (which means less sessions/time spent under the lamps). Most tanning beds have special bulbs to reduce your exposure to harmful rays.

Never tanned or had the desire to but - this seems like logical advice to me :)
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the article and I'd post a link, but I read somewhere recently that people are catching herpes from tanning beds. Something about the virus mutating and becoming more resistant to cleaners because if the UV light and the tiny cracks in the acrylic. I have no idea how true this is, but I was considering fake baking again and it totally turned me off.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona and catch enough rays just by being outside thru the course of the day.
  • Just_Mel_
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I wish I could find the article and I'd post a link, but I read somewhere recently that people are catching herpes from tanning beds. Something about the virus mutating and becoming more resistant to cleaners because if the UV light and the tiny cracks in the acrylic. I have no idea how true this is, but I was considering fake baking again and it totally turned me off.

The UV rays in the tanning beds make asymptomatic herpes (HSV2) symptomatic again. One must be already infected. HSV2, otherwise known as genital herpes, can and does present anywhere between the bellybutton and the knees. Most people who have HSV2 don't know they have it, have never experienced symptoms, or have had symptoms so mild they never realized it was a herpes infection. Especially if it wasn't on the genitals, which is common. The UV rays have a knack of making the symptoms appear when an infected area is exposed to the tanning rays, and the blisters often present more aggressively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1323616

Ewwwww.......

I mean, just think of all the sweaty naked bodies that have been pressed against that acrylic and then you lay on it too. What's really in the cleaners they use? There's no standard. I used to tan all the time and I swear some places just used windex. And not exactly scrubbing, just the swipe of a dirty rag. :confounded:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

The UV rays in the tanning beds make asymptomatic herpes (HSV2) symptomatic again. One must be already infected. HSV2, otherwise known as genital herpes, can and does present anywhere between the bellybutton and the knees. Most people who have HSV2 don't know they have it, have never experienced symptoms, or have had symptoms so mild they never realized it was a herpes infection. Especially if it wasn't on the genitals, which is common. The UV rays have a knack of making the symptoms appear when an infected area is exposed to the tanning rays, and the blisters often present more aggressively.

Ewwwww.......

I mean, just think of all the sweaty naked bodies that have been pressed against that acrylic and then you lay on it too. What's really in the cleaners they use? There's no standard. I used to tan all the time and I swear some places just used windex. And not exactly scrubbing, just the swipe of a dirty rag. :confounded:

You didn't clean it before laying down? The place I go cleans them after every customer, but there's also wipes in there for us to use if we would like (usually Clorox wipes or similar).
  • Just_Mel_
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Ewwwww.......

You didn't clean it before laying down? The place I go cleans them after every customer, but there's also wipes in there for us to use if we would like (usually Clorox wipes or similar).

It's been many years ago that I tanned and as I remember at the place I went to, they cleaned them before you used them. No cleaners were kept in the rooms.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Ewwwww.......

Very good point. And since the tanning bed regulations vary from state to state in the U.S., there may or not be any cleaning protocol in some states. Also, and this is just a guess, I'm thinking these regulations aren't closely audited anyway.

Let's just say, tanning bed users should hope the surfaces of the bed are disinfected by being wiped down with an antiviral, diluted bleach solution between every use. Every time.

slmm57irttdl.jpg

I'm pretty sure that in my home state, they just throw some dirt on it.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Does no one just go out in the sun anymore?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »

Yeah but most people including me dislike, tan lines thankfully though; I am not shy &'ve no shame so, I'm going to a nude beach to; tan instead!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Yes, but...my whole body hasn't seen the sun in many, many years, only farmer tans (face, arms & legs from the knees down) for me til now. Heading to Maui in May (from Montana where winter won't go away) so I either need a really strong sunscreen & someone to make sure I apply it every where or work on a bit of a tan. Haven't decided yet which route to go. Any advice?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For the first time in my adult life I have tanned legs thanks to running... on the back of my calves only... :laugh: