Nutrition help

Options
I know what MFP says I need as far as calories... it gave me 1200 (which, by the way, is not a lot and hard to do!) However, I am not sure if that number is a gross number or net number. That is, if I work out and my net is significantly lower than that, do I eat more to bring my net calories up to that number or stay under that number or what? I usually wind up staying pretty low, and then after a few days I'm starving and can't stop eating. This IS NOT the way to lose weight (trust me, I have already done the field research!!!) How much do I need to eat? I'm so confused.

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    1200 is net. If you are eating a fiber rich diet 1200 is VERY filling. I'm always double the recommended fiber and have a really hard time getting to 1000 (recommended by nutritionist because of my stature) most days.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    Hi,

I just posted a topic on this too because I was confused as well, feel free to check out my conclusion.

Best.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1200 is net because when you exercise you need more calories to sustain your body..

If you let your body go into "starvation mode" it slows down your progress and hinders the weight loss.. I was stuck for two weeks and a personal trainer here on this site helped me.. Eat more ... exercise less.. Sometimes that works, it did in my case and now I lost 2 pounds in the last two days..
  • twink44
    twink44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think the 1200 is a minimum intake amount for anyone losing weight. Less - you end up slowing your metabolism. The added exercise will quicken the loss. I once tried losing weight on about 1000 calories a day and 45 minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill. I lost nothing. It was completely frustrating. My body decided it was at risk and better store it. I also think that the nutritional balance is important. You need enough protein, not too many carbs or sugar, lots of fiber and water. Good luck. Friend me if you want.
  • mollycivinskas
    Options
    So... if my designated "To-Eat" calories equal 1200, and I ALSO exercise, I should eat MORE than 1200? Ex: today I burned about 650 cal doing 50 minutes of cardio exercises at the gym. What I'm asking is, now I need to eat 1200 calories, PLUS 650 to lose weight? Is that what everyone is saying, or... ?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    So... if my designated "To-Eat" calories equal 1200, and I ALSO exercise, I should eat MORE than 1200? Ex: today I burned about 650 cal doing 50 minutes of cardio exercises at the gym. What I'm asking is, now I need to eat 1200 calories, PLUS 650 to lose weight? Is that what everyone is saying, or... ?

Yes.