NOT eating exercise calories

Options
Lashawn71188
Lashawn71188 Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm so lost when people say they eat back the calories that they burn during exercise. My goal is to be in as much of a calorie deficit as possible ( as much that is healthy for me of course) Is this the norm? My goal is to burn even more calories through exercise not bring me back to my daily calorie goal by eating them back. Any else not eating their calories back and why?

Replies

• Lashawn71188
    Options
    Well I guess I'm not in the same boat as the people who eat their calories back. I still have a good amount of weight to lose (~40 lbs) and I have great energy, I eat over 120 grams of protein a day, and I time my meals to fuel and recover from my workouts. I'm averaging about 1-1.5 lbs lost a week so I am losing at a good pace I would say. I practice progress overload and I am definitely stronger than when I started. So I guess I'll continue to do what doing but thanks for the insight.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    OP has left the building.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm so lost when people say they eat back the calories that they burn during exercise. My goal is to be in as much of a calorie deficit as possible ( as much that is healthy for me of course) Is this the norm? My goal is to burn even more calories through exercise not bring me back to my daily calorie goal by eating them back. Any else not eating their calories back and why?

I eat them back because I want fat loss - not just weight loss. But I'm over 50 and maintaining lean muscle mass is important for me because I've already lost enough.

If your initial calorie goal accounts for exercise (TDEE method) then you are technically eating them.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you don't eat your exercise calories back, isn't that the same as eating too few calories to begin with? Like if I exercise 200 calories off, and then eat 1200 calories, isn't that the same as doing no exercise and eating 1000 calories?

(This is assuming that you know the "real" amount of calories you burned off . . . I understand people being skeptical of MFP's exercise tool.)

While we're on the topic, are the calorie amounts on most exercise machines accurate? Like a treadmill or elliptical at the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lol I wasn't angry or hungry. I'm new to the forum and didn't have the notifications on. But I totally agree with not eating too few calories as you continue to lose weight. When I started losing weight I had my calories pretty low (1400) but after doing some research I moved them up to 1800. Because I have PCOS I eat a low carb high fat diet and on my refeed day I bring my calories up to 1900-2000 which still keeps me in a deficit. I was trying to get some information to better educate myself on this journey. When I read what other said those things didn't apply to me in this moment. I totally get that the closer I get to my goal weight my calories will be lower and I'll need to eat as much as I can including those exercise calories.

It sounds to me like you're using the TDEE method...see my previous post on NEAT vs TDEE...understanding the methodology is important. You're using customized calorie targets, not MFP calorie targets...thus your lack of understanding.
  • Lashawn71188
    Options
    Okay I understand. Yes I am using the TDEE method and only tracking my food in MFP. I didn't know that there was certain method used on MFP. Thanks cwolfman13!
  • natasha_hal1
    natasha_hal1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories back. I have about 4 pounds until my goal weight, so I have set MFP to maintenance at the sedentary level (1730 calories). I do exercise, however it is usually 30 minutes weight training OR 2-3 mile run. I do not input these into MFP at all. I figure that at most my net calories for the day may end up at 1300-1400 calories (depends on calorie burn) on the days I intentionally exercise. I do not worry about it too much.
  • Lashawn71188
    Options
    Yes I definitely learned something today!