Disabled and fat

Options
I am seriously over weight but have disabilities that limit my movement and heart meds that dont help with the weight.

Replies

• juliecaperton483
    juliecaperton483 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back and am having yet another surgery May first. I have been following MFP for three weeks and I have lost 15 lbs. with no exercise. If you follow the program you can do it too! One tip: I never eat all of my calories, but I eat well. There are some wonderful recipies on Pinterest. Go for it!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If exercise is difficult for you, just work on your diet. Find how many calories you burn at a resting rate, and eat less than that. It helps to also research foods low in calories, but high in nutrition so you don't feel hungry.
  • thischick25
    thischick25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and exercise doesn't have to be exhausting to be effective. You can try something easy and build up your tolerance--like, taking walks, lifting small weights for strength, or even just light dancing in your chair a little can help burn extra calories. I have a disability that pretty much limits me to whatever can be done sitting down only, and I've built up to being able to do a little cardio from youtube videos.
    Slow going counts too--you don't have to try and drop a massive amount of weight in a short time like in the commercials. Find your own pace, but the key is to keep trying.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My son is severely disabled with cerebral palsy. He cannot walk and has only partial use of one arm, so exercise in the usual sense is out of the question. We control his weight by regulating his calorie intake, which we can do precisely because he's fed by g-tube.

Since I assume you're eating regular food and not enteral formula it's not quite as straightforward for you, but that's really all it takes.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best of luck. Exercise is not the be all end all of dieting. Don't let not being able to move too much get you down. Your life and your health matter and as you're here you know that too. :)
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Looking for help and admitting you need help is the first step in doing good. Go to u tube ask for exercise done from a chair. That can be a start to your progress good luck.