Nurse said drastic weight loss "isn't that bad" LOL

Options
I saw my doctor today for a referral for psychiatry (hey depression, how ya doin'?)

During my intake with the nurse, she asked how I've been feeling and I explained my appetite has been nil and I've had a drastic drop in weight this week (almost 5 pounds in less than a week). I said I've been making changes to eat better and be more active but sometimes it's hard to eat at all when you're depressed. When I mentioned that she kinda shrugged and said, "Well in your case it's not that bad right?"

I get it. I'm fat. But what kind of comment is that to make to someone? Just because I'm overweight doesn't mean that I still don't have to eat.

I feel like that's probably fairly common in these situations but how unprofessional is that? And dangerous? Fortunately for me I can overlook that *kitten* but what if I didn't?

End rant.

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Whoa, what an incredibly insensitive thing to say, especially to a person who just disclosed depression problems. Sorry that happened to you.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed that a fellow nurse said that to you. :'(
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Illness is never a good reason for losing weight. I'm sorry you had to hear that.