Meal replacement shakes

Options
Trying decide which shake plans work the best?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to replace meals with a drink? I build my entire day around figuring out ways to fit in MORE meals.

Shake plans only "work" if you are maintaining a calorie deficit. Which can just as easily be done eating real food, and at a fraction of the cost. Don't bother.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to replace meals with a drink? I build my entire day around figuring out ways to fit in MORE meals.

Shake plans only "work" if you are maintaining a calorie deficit. Which can just as easily be done eating real food, and at a fraction of the cost. Don't bother.

This.

Shakes, for me, are completely unsatisfying too. You're better off just fitting real food into your calorie goal.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

^^^ Lots of this. Shakes aren't filling for me, too expensive, and I love to physically eat my calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cldiaz2008 wrote: »
    Trying decide which shake plans work the best?

Shakes "work" because you are in a calorie deficit.....so I guess the shake plan that "works" the best is the lowest calorie one*.

Meal replacement shakes count calories......so you don't have to bother. But that's what most people on this site do (it's designed for logging & measuring food). So it's not surprising that you won't find much support here.

I've done meal replacement shakes.....yet here I am (again). That's the problem with a plan that doesn't make you learn anything about your eating habits. My 2 cents, measure & log regular food. Figure out what things in your diet need changing. Then when you get to maintenance....you'll have the tools to keep your weight in check.

*I'm not suggesting the lowest possible calorie option for weight loss. Healthy weight loss is moderate paced weight loss. Shakes may or may not bother with this......you can do better on your own.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Idealshape idealshakes! I used them, but did get bored of them.
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Shakes are not as good as solid, whole food when it comes to weight loss. Why? Because shakes are liquid, which means they get digested faster, which means they don't keep you satisfied as long.

Go for food with a lot of fiber, preferably with some veggies thrown in. Here's a post explaining why you want to eat whole foods.
  • mrschefbujak
    mrschefbujak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok. So here's the deal. I am pretty much in line with everybody else I like to chew my food. I always say the reason we have teeth is because we're supposed to eat not just drink a shake. That being said my husband does really well with having two meal replacement shakes and then healthy snacks and a solid food dinner. I will occasionally have a meal replacement shake if I am having an uninspired food day. The ones that we like are ideal shape ideal shakes.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to eat real food as much as possible however, I also really like the Ideal Shape Ideal Shakes. They actually keep me just as full as a normal meal. I will have a lunch of around 300-350 calories and be hungry about 2 1/2 hours later or I will have the Ideal Shake for lunch (about 125-130 calories with unsweetened cashew milk) and it will keep me full for 2 1/2 hours as well. Soooo...less calories but keeps me full the same amount of time. The Chocolate Peanut Butter is my favorite. I will use this if I need a lower calorie day, don't have anything else for lunch (or sick of the food I prepped over the weekend), or for example, last Friday I had a dentist appointment and had to leave work early and couldn't take my lunch break so I just had a shake when I was working, before I left for my appointment.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like a shake for breakfast because it helps me get my vegetables in my diet and I don't generally like to eat in the morning. My choice right or wrong.
  • StephAStephan
    StephAStephan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my isagenix shakes (I use the dairy free ones). I have one for breakfast in the morning every morning. So does my husband. I add a scoop of fiber (because I take an iron supplement which causes, ummm, stoppage if you catch my drift), but they keep me full until lunch time! In the past, I've done a strict isagenix program and had major success with it! I'm not as strict these days for other reasons, but I find having shakes incredibly convenient and much cheaper than making a traditional breakfast.

Just offering a different perspective :)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my isagenix shakes (I use the dairy free ones). I have one for breakfast in the morning every morning. So does my husband. I add a scoop of fiber (because I take an iron supplement which causes, ummm, stoppage if you catch my drift), but they keep me full until lunch time! In the past, I've done a strict isagenix program and had major success with it! I'm not as strict these days for other reasons, but I find having shakes incredibly convenient and much cheaper than making a traditional breakfast.

Just offering a different perspective :)

Does the scoop of fiber dissolve in your shake?

• navychickpensfan
    navychickpensfan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I drink IdealShake. Instead of using coffee creamer in my coffee in the morning I add Idealshake to iced coffee. I have my breakfast and coffee all in one!
  • StephAStephan
    StephAStephan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Does the scoop of fiber dissolve in your shake?

[/quote]

Yep! But with the dairy free shakes, I have to blend then with water and ice in an actual blender. When I took the regular isa shakes, I could just add cold water, a scoop of fiberpro, and protein to a blender bottle. Either way, it dissolves and has zero taste.
  • FITitch40
    FITitch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies! And M-F it's always easiest for me to make a quick shake. I drink IdealShake and liking it so far, pretty tasty. I already meal prep and plan lunch and dinner, adding a shake during the week helps me so much.
  • FITitch40
    FITitch40 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink IdealShake. Instead of using coffee creamer in my coffee in the morning I add Idealshake to iced coffee. I have my breakfast and coffee all in one!

This sounds so good! I'll have to try it!
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get worn out by condescending people who would never be caught dead drinking a meal replacement shake. It's all about calories, so get over yourselves. If someone likes to "spend" their calories on a shake, that's their choice. Might not be your choice, but that doesn't make yours right and theirs wrong.
    I find simple bottles of slimfast (or aldi brand) to be filling and yummy. Feels like a glass of chocolate milk and fills me up for a few hours. I only drink them a few times a week, as they fit into my mood and calories.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started out using 2 meal replacement shakes a day sometimes slimfast sometimes premier protein. I found the premier protein kept me full longer and I prefer the taste of the premier protein as well. It worked nicely for me and I still have one when I'm short on time or just not in the mood to cook. If it works for you great keep at it. I now mainly rely on my food scale and food now as I tired of the shakes for the most part.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes, and I love them. I see people saying they don't use them because you won't feel full, but I feel more full using them. That is specifically why I do like them. I think all meal replacement shakes work the same, so there aren't multiple "shake plans." It's all about finding one you like the taste of. Though there are lots of recipes online to alter the taste for variety. Just find out the calorie count of whichever you choose and log it online, along with all the other calories you have during the day.
  • tdesignr
    tdesignr Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So glad to see fellow Idealshape fans! I drink those as well for breakfast on work days and only twice a day when I know I'm having a cheat meal with my fiancé. I actually drink mine "diluted" in 16 oz (recommended is 8 oz) of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and still find they're sweet enough and satisfying. Mocha and chocolate peanut butter are my favorites. Haven't tried one I don't like, except for the superfood one. Tasted like I was drinking a multivitamin despite that it was dark chocolate flavored. Silk unsweeened vanilla almond milk is 30 calories per 8 oz. Most servings of Idealshape are 100-110 calories. I wish they were a little higher in protein. They're about 10 g if I remember right. And if you feel you might get bored of a flavor, I recommend trying their variety packs or snagging some of their sample pack deals. I started out getting samples and the variety pack so I didn't commit to a tub of a flavor I didn't like. Then I ordered my favorites. They also run random deals frequently on their items. Their protein bars aren't too bad either. But I wouldn't say they're a must (based on price and the fact that there are plenty of readily available bars at the grocery store). Got a box on sale and one free with another sale.

I know I'm a lazy cook. Sometimes I can't even be bothered to cook an egg. Do what is sustainable for your schedule and lifestyle!