Anybody have any healthy Easter ideas?

I'm making dinner for my family. I'm vegan so all the food will be but I can veganize any recipe. Just need to find some good suggestions that my company will like too

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I've never associated Easter with any particular food.... Besides chocolate and hot cross buns, but they wouldn't make much of a meal.

Just make what you'd normally make for a dinner party. And maybe have a chocolate dessert :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I generally have lamb, potatoes (new potatoes or mashed), spring vegetables, a salad, some deviled eggs, and some kind of spring or Easter-like dessert (strawberry-rhubarb pie or lemon-lavender cupcakes). I'd also have ice cream (and there are delicious vegan options for that) with a rhubarb sauce. My usual goal is spring-oriented, although a lot of the stuff (like strawberries) of course aren't actually in season yet -- too early.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I generally have lamb, potatoes (new potatoes or mashed), spring vegetables, a salad, some deviled eggs, and some kind of spring or Easter-like dessert (strawberry-rhubarb pie or lemon-lavender cupcakes). I'd also have ice cream (and there are delicious vegan options for that) with a rhubarb sauce. My usual goal is spring-oriented, although a lot of the stuff (like strawberries) of course aren't actually in season yet -- too early.

What if it's autumn?!? :p
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    I've never associated Easter with any particular food.... Besides chocolate and hot cross buns, but they wouldn't make much of a meal.

Just make what you'd normally make for a dinner party. And maybe have a chocolate dessert :)
    Thank you ! That is the weird part, I don't actually know what Easter food is. So I guess there is no traditional foods?
  • RedheadedPrincess14

Thank you! I froze a bunch of strawberries a month ago and I love rhubarb. I also know a sneaky little trick to make vegan devilled eggs out of potatoes. The lamb part I'll have to figure out but maybe a lentil loaf?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited April 2017

Thank you! I froze a bunch of strawberries a month ago and I love rhubarb. I also know a sneaky little trick to make vegan devilled eggs out of potatoes. The lamb part I'll have to figure out but maybe a lentil loaf?

Or a nut/mushroom loaf? I think they're quite tasty...
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Hmm we don't do a whole lot for Easter but I do try to generally have something that makes me think of spring, just as a spring earth-revival kind of thing. We might have some egg dish I guess. I love eggs and that's very springy. Oh you know, my younger daughter plans to dye a whole dozen hard boiled eggs. I predict we will have a dinner somehow based on hard boiled eggs.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I'm doing a glazed spiral sliced ham, potato casserole, lemon dill carrots, roasted green beans, corn pudding casserole, homemade rolls, deviled eggs.

Also serving appetizers- veggie tray, fruit tray, cheese and crackers, and bacon wrapped cocktail sausages.

Cupcakes for dessert.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Standard Easter dinner for my family was always ham, asparagus, mashed potatoes, rolls, deviled eggs. Usually a gelatin based dessert with marshmallows or whipped cream.
    This year we are having ham, green beans, potatoes, rolls, deviled eggs, and key lime pie.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/188/holidays-and-events/easter/
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    My healthy Easter plan is always just to take a nice, long hike before the festivities. Then I can just relax and enjoy the day.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member

Thank you ! That is the weird part, I don't actually know what Easter food is. So I guess there is no traditional foods?
    There are, but most are not vegan. Easter follows 40 days of Lent, when people traditionally fasted from meat and some other animal products. Exactly what they fasted from varied from place to place. On Easter they were free to eat those foods again.

Traditional spring foods are probably a good choice though.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    dfwesq wrote: »

There are, but most are not vegan. Easter follows 40 days of Lent, when people traditionally fasted from meat and some other animal products. Exactly what they fasted from varied from place to place. On Easter they were free to eat those foods again.

Traditional spring foods are probably a good choice though.

Exactly this.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Thank you everybody! I will put together a lentil loaf, a carrot ginger soup, the vegan devoted eggs and a strawberry rhubarb pie. I really appreciate all input.

Also LOL @Noel_57. Ew!!!
  • jenilla1

...I also know a sneaky little trick to make vegan devilled eggs out of potatoes...

I want to know your sneaky little trick. I <3 potatoes!

• lemurcat12

What if it's autumn?!? :p

Want my Thanksgiving menu? ;-)
  • lemurcat12

Lentils go with most everything lamb does, for me.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    jenilla1 wrote: »

...I also know a sneaky little trick to make vegan devilled eggs out of potatoes...

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/smoky-little-devils/ I don't mle them exactly like this, but if you, you'll love them!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 wrote: »

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/smoky-little-devils/ I don't mle them exactly like this, but if you, you'll love them!

That looks amazing! I will be trying this, thx! :D
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I traditionally would make ham, mashed potatoes and fruit salad (plus tons of appetizers and other snacks). Since I've been making different food choices I rarely eat ham anymore (due to nitrates, not calories).

This year am planning on some healthy options - baked steelhead with lemon and dill, jasmine mango rice and the proverbial fruit salad, but without whipped cream.

BTW, Lent is actually about 45 calendar days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. The 40 days of Lent do not include the Sundays during that time period. I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow as I will be concluding my Lenten alcohol abstinence at sundown on Holy Saturday and have a glass of wine.