Have any of you tried phentermine?

I am thinking about visiting a weight loss clinic that prescribes phentermine. I have several friends who have tried it in the short term with great results kick starting their weight loss. Have you ever tried it? Would you?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    It's a drug. If you can't learn how to suppress your eating without a drug, then will you EVER get off of it once you start?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    What is it?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Just calorie-count. No weight-loss drugs needed. Don't forget, this is a life change you are making, to be healthier.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I wouldn't, it really doesn't teach you anything. Learn how to eat for the rest of your life by eating at a slight deficit. Buy a food scale instead.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I tried it and pretty much got the entire list of negative side effects, it was truly a horrible experience! I can't even remember if i lost any weight, as the whole episode is just a hazy memory.
  • erevans
    erevans Posts: 5 Member
    Yes. I lost about 7-8 lbs on it in about 3 months (under doctor supervision). But since it has stimulant effects, it messed with my sleep. So I increased my exercise to help improve mysleep, but I wasn't eating enough to sustain quality exercise sessions... vicious cycle. I stopped using it after 3-4 months and I don't miss it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I haven't tried it, and everyone has different reactions to any type of drug, so my experiences would not neccesarily mean you would have the same.

It's important to remember any time you use an aid for weightloss that isn't 100% your own determination, you risk failure once you come off. It doesn't mean that you will fail, but unless you put the work behind it so when you do come off you can handle the change, old patterns will come back and the weight will come with it.

If you want to give it a go, give it a shot, but there are plenty of free ways to get the same results.
  • tferguso2459
    tferguso2459 Posts: 1 Member
    I tried it years ago and went from about 182 to 158 in about 2 months with no exercise. Im currently about to give it another go but everyone's body is different, i personally don't have any adverse effects
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    I'm currently on it now. I've had no side effects except dry mouth but lots of water and gum help lol next Tuesday will be 4 weeks I've been on it. So far I've lost 15 pounds but I'm also exercising 5 days a week and have a strict 1300 calorie limit (under doctor supervision) Once my 4 weeks is up I won't be using it any more.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    I can't take it because I'm a heart patient but I wouldn't want to take it anyway I've had friends take it lose weight and then gain it all back no thank you like other people have posted this is a lifestyle change I don't want a quick fix I am learning to live the rest of my life
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I tried it years ago and went from about 182 to 158 in about 2 months with no exercise. Im currently about to give it another go but everyone's body is different, i personally don't have any adverse effects

I don't think you can say it works if you have to keep doing it over and over again.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    I lost ten pounds in two months with it several years ago. Then I stopped taking it, because I was doubling the dose and running out early.

Gained it all back in a week and didnt lose a pound for two years. I'm not saying that messed up my metabolism. I'm not informed enough to know how that works. But the timing made me suspicious.