Elliptical not doing it for me!

Options
I typically do the elliptical for about 35-40 mins....keep my heart rate elevated (HRM says 75% ) and after that I do some strength training excercises. Some days I take a Zumba class in the evenings as well. But I almost feel like my thighs have increased after doing the elliptical!! They seem firm but larger! I just started to take measurements, so cant tell for sure but it seems like its not working!

I enjoy the elliptical -maybe thats wrong :-)
Has anyone else increased their thighs after using it? Or felt it didnt work for them?

Replies

• kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Your muscle is probably increasing in size, which is a good thing!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have large thighs. Actually, my mom's WHOLE family has large thighs. I've found as I've been running more and more that they are still large - but they are toned and look nice even though they are on the larger side. They are pure muscle - no fat at all. You are building muscle in them.
  • dezcalouette
    dezcalouette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, all I ever did was the elliptical. I'd be on that thing 45 minutes a day, on a 1200-1500 calorie diet. I lost 40 pounds. Now, of course, I know strength training and mixing up workouts is important-- and I don't have any scientific evidence, but I can attest that the elliptical definitely helped me in the beginning. I'd stick with it for a little bit, if you enjoy it, and see what happens.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I would think that's typical. Perhaps you're building muscle but haven't lost the fat yet.

In high school, my friend and I joined the cheerleading squad. She was thin, with thin legs. After the summer practices, by the time school started, her calves were huge. At least huge compared to what they were. So I think it's totally normal.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 0.5" using my elliptical haha
    But that's probably just my legs toning up, the elliptical is a great fat burner though.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The elliptical slims my thighs first.

Are you using a heavy resistance?
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    :( I fail at the elliptical :(
  • pickulz76
    pickulz76 Posts: 41
    Options
    I start at resistance level 2 or 3 and do that for the first 12-15 mins...and then switch to level 7 and do that for as long as i can..and bring it down if its too much (but stay b/w6-8) for the remainder of the workout which is another 30 mins or so. I also sometimes alternate b/w going backwards and forwards.

I have to say though...my calves look so 'pronounced'! I dont know if they have just 'fattened up'...or are just toned muscle?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    :( I fail at the elliptical :(

LOL. I despise the elliptical. It makes my feet go numb. But, I figure it has the same effect on the thighs as the treadmill and running do. :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? For a while I thought my thighs and calves looked big and bulky too, looking down at them, but the tape measure didn't agree and my skinny jeans didn't agree. And surprisingly, not even my full length mirror agreed. I think it was just that I wasn't used to seeing my muscles so well defined.