Are your rings loose at night and tight in the morning? WHY??

Options
Just wondering if water weight is the cause of tight rings in the morning - I've lost 66 pounds and my rings are very very loose most of the day, but in the morning they are tight. I've wondered if this affects my scale reading when weighing in the morning. Just curious! So many of you are so knowledgeable, I would love to hear from you! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• amenok
    amenok Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Personally, it sounds like when you lie down and don't move for a while(like when you sleep), your body doesn't have all its fluid circulating as well. So it'll stick in places like your extremities and cause swelling. It's like how if you work a standing job for long periods without moving, your legs/ankles can swell-especially with poor circulation. Just my guess though :)

Now, i don't know if you have any medical conditions, or consume a lot of sodium but those are factors that can contribute too

edit: oh i forgot to say- congratulations on the huge weight loss!! :) really impressive
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When you are sitting or standing fluid can build up in your legs and feet. At night that fluid can go to the rest of the body.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me....every night. Congrats on the weight loss :)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yep. Excess water in the body will settle according to gravity.

When you're on your feel you might get swollen ankles by the end of the day.

When you lie don the fluid spreads out ... your hand are puffy.

This same mechanism is the reason heart failure patients with fluid retention can't lay flat at night and need to prop themselves up on pillows; when they do lay flat the fluid at the bottom of the lungs spreads out and covers a larger area of lung and they can't breathe.

It's like if you have a water bottle with a few cm of water in it. Stand it up, water is at the base. Tip it over, water spreads along the lowers side.

If you're concerned you have a lot of water retention, see your doctor about it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hiking on warm days does it to me too.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes my rings can be very tight in the morning. I take them off overnight now..
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have days when my engagement ring is so loose that it spins all the way around and I'm afraid it might fall off. Other days, I struggle to remove it because it's so tight. It's just water retention. Generally, its nothing to worry about.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My week starts on Friday and I eat more/fast food Sat-Sun so every Monday and Tuesday my wedding ring is tight, by Wed it's loser and my weight is down right on time WI (fri) = fluid retention :|
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I have sometimes had sausage fingers by the end of a long hike. Using walking sticks or super light dumbbells helps because the constant squeezing and loosening of the fingers will keep the circulation moving better.

OP: yes it is normal. If you are concerned or it seems excessive, check with your doctor.

Also, regarding the scale reading: the effect is minimal because you probably aren't retaining any more water than normal, it just settles in the extremities overnight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I have sometimes had sausage fingers by the end of a long hike. Using walking sticks or super light dumbbells helps because the constant squeezing and loosening of the fingers will keep the circulation moving better.

OP: yes it is normal. If you are concerned or it seems excessive, check with your doctor.

Also, regarding the scale reading: the effect is minimal because you probably aren't retaining any more water than normal, it just settles in the extremities overnight.

That makes sense. Bringing my dog on a leash helps some too.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get sausage fingers from exercise, too.
  • feroshus
    feroshus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens with my fitbit on my wrist. Always tight in the mornings. I just take it off and let everything breathe. I try to have a big glass of water before bed and one when I wake up (but often forget...)