Trying to not be afraid of eating fat

Options
oneoftheseyesterdays
oneoftheseyesterdays Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!
Like many, I suffer from focusing on "low/no fat" foods. I recently saw a nutritionist and even though I thought I knew everything about dieting she told me to add more fat in my diet. So I've been doing that this week, and I've been going over in my fat but staying in my calories. it makes me a little nervous just out of habit of not eating this much fat (peanut butter, whole milk yogurt, avocado) but at the same time I'm excited because I'm actually full and satisfied with my meals and I'm not starving an hour after breakfast because of my low-fat yogurt and banana. I'm also staying within my calories versus eating twice as much because I'm so hungry.

Anyone else have success with eating more fat? What are your go tos?

Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I was nervous in the beginning too, but just like you I noticed I did indeed feel full and satisfied and could easily stick to my calorie allowance, and weight loss happened as predicted.

I don't have any go-to's; in fact, I have made a "pledge" to eat everything I want in moderate amounts, focusing on variety in order to get in more and better nutrition, to be flexible (in case I won't be able to get hold of my "staples"), and be able to savour all the wonderful foods out there, and challenge my fussiness a bit now and then.
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Like many, I suffer from focusing on "low/no fat" foods. I recently saw a nutritionist and even though I thought I knew everything about dieting she told me to add more fat in my diet. So I've been doing that this week, and I've been going over in my fat but staying in my calories. it makes me a little nervous just out of habit of not eating this much fat (peanut butter, whole milk yogurt, avocado) but at the same time I'm excited because I'm actually full and satisfied with my meals and I'm not starving an hour after breakfast because of my low-fat yogurt and banana. I'm also staying within my calories versus eating twice as much because I'm so hungry.

Thank you! I'm not sure

Yep, I can confirm, eating fatty foods but staying within your calorie limit helps with weight loss. Have been doing it with desserts for a while now.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have 1 TBSP of peanut butter as a snack almost every day. I keep coconut "cream" in the fridge. I buy Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut in the pouches and I cut it into 1/2 TBSP chunks and I eat that with a square of dark chocolate sometimes. I add between a teasp to a TBSP of olive oil to everything I cook (or butter). I eat "full fat" Greek yogurt. BACON! Full fat shredded cheeses.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I stopped worrying about fat and I stopped being hungry all the time. When I tried to avoid fat, I'd be starving every night and would have a hard time controlling that level of hunger and would end up snacking on stuff that made me gain weight, or at least kept me from losing. It sounds counter-productive but only because we were misinformed for decades.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The things that helped me eat more fat:

-The body requires it for processing vitamins A, E, D and K.

-Optimal fat intake = shinier hair and moisturized skin and nails.

-Fat aids in digestion, elimination, hormone production, immune function, reproduction.

Don't be afraid of fat.

Perhaps changing your macros to reflect your higher fat intake would help. It depends on how much fat you were eating and how much fat the nutritionist recommends.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't do well at all on a low fat diet (hungry all the time, cravings, low energy). My favorite sources of fat are avocado, coconut (butter or oil), mayo, olive oil, and nut butters.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition and health...it's not the boogey man...80s/90s are over.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Fat makes me feel full in ways even lean protein can't.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition and health...it's not the boogey man...80s/90s are over.

Yup. 1990 called - it wants its fad diet back!

This as much as anything convinced me that the best 'diet' is no diet at all. Eat all the foods, just in portions and ratios that work for you personally.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was the same. I was completely on the low fat bandwagon for years. No butter on toast with just a bit of jam. Zero fat yogurt. Powdered skim milk.... Those were my slowly gaining years.

I did a LOT of reading and research when I started exploring higher fat. Seeing that fat is good for healh let me lose that fat fear.

Now I eat a low carb high fat diet. I'm on the other extreme. I feel better than ever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was never really low fat, since I never got the message fat was bad (I think of that as a '90s thing, long outdated).

So not sure if it's comparable, as I don't do high fat, but I do better around 30-40% fat, depending. Fat isn't satiating for me (a truly high fat meal without vegetables or protein would leave me hungry and I find low fat dairy more satiating and leaner meal the same, for the same calories), BUT having enough fat in my diet makes me enjoy it more and be more satisfied overall, which has an important role in making a diet sustainable.

Oh, go-tos -- basically I just eat normally and don't try to eliminate fat. I have eggs at breakfast and add a bit of cheese to my omelet, cook with olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, love avocado, make homemade cashew milk which has a lot more fat than the flavored water sold as nut milk at the store and use it in some things, eat nuts and seeds, and almost never have skinless, boneless chicken breast, but cook my chicken with skin and on the bone. I eat dark meat, and get pork from a local farm that uses a breed of pork that has not been bread to be super lean (and the pork chops are so delicious). I might have some good cheese as a dessert sometimes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eating fat does not make us fat. Its eating TOO much in general of anything that does that.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    my hair and nails are so lovely when i realized fat was good for me and upped it. Also i swear it helped digestive/bathroom issues. Plus its delicious. go fat.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Those of us in or near our 50"s remember the 90"s well. The constant drumming in the head seemed non-stop.(To me) Along with Talking Heads ;) Or were they the 80"s? Anyway .... yup had this issue for months and it can be a difficult hurdle. Keep at it with baby steps. I'm over it now and put fats on stuff like a champ!
  • oneoftheseyesterdays
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing reduced fat peanut butter. And looking at the label. And realizing that it was 'increased sugar' peanut butter. And grabbing the full-fat version.

I'll admit, for some foods, like mayo, I look for the lower fat versions, but I cook with olive and grapeseed oils. And unless the original recipe is something 'swimming' in oil (I recall finding a Hungarian potato recipe that called for 2 cups of oil for a 4-serving recipe and it was for simmering/stewing, not deep-frying), I'll mostly use what's called for. In most of the recipes I make, that's 1-2 tbsp for 4-6 servings. With very few exceptions, having the full-fat version isn't a deal-breaker. (I'd say coconut milk is one of them; I'll use the light unless there's a very good reason for the full-fat version. Since my mother never cooked with coconut milk when I was growing up, I don't have anything to compare my recipes to, so I don't notice a taste discrepancy.)

When it comes to dessert, I look for low-cal recipes, which often means that some of the fat has been switched out or was never there in the first place. (Strawberry sorbet=strawberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice). But that's more about making dessert once a week and not wanting to make a calorie bomb if it's not for a large gathering. I look at the overall calories, try to keep them below 250, and usually, that means less fat. But a recipe was, say, 175 calories per serving, of which 90 came from fat? If it tasted good, I'd make it frequently.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I was like this with carbs. I unnecessarily cut them out when I first began losing weight out of ignorance and when I reluctantly added them back I was super nervous I'd undo my hard work. Just track, stay under or around your caloric goal and SEE the data over time. No macro should make us nervous, but I understand your anxiety.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think the fat scare of the 70's, 80's, and 90's is going to take a very long time to die out. It's said that the scientific consensus usually advances when outdated ideas die out along with the authorities that defend them.

Last year, I quit my primary doctor of 10 years for giving me crappy outdated dietary and exercise advice. He was happy that I made major improvements in my weight, controlling my diabetes and cholesterol, but he was not happy that my lifestyle changes included low carb high fat. (A couple of years ago he prescribed I do 100 sit-ups a day to reduce stomach fat).
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fat is my friend when losing weight. Daily go-tos are almond butter and whole milk plain yogurt. The skin from a freshly roasted chicken, hot from the oven, is a huge treat.