My legs are on FIRE

Options
Beezyweez
Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone,

Yet again for the 1000th time I'm trying to lose some weight.

I'm trying to get into the excersize side of things slowly, at the moment I'm doing about a 40 minute walk 4 times a week but instead of my legs feeling stronger, it feels like they are getting worse (my calves mainly). After the first 10 minutes I'm in agony and have to sit down. Not only do my muscles hurt but with every step my ankles start clicking

Does anyone have any advice on how to ease the pain?

Many thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller?

If not google calf stretches and ham string stretches. It is just because your body isn't used to it.

It will stop as it becomes accustomed to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you wear proper walking shoes?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Decrease the amount of time you walk so that you don't have pain. Then increase slowly

This.

It sounds like you are trying to do too much for your level of fitness. Walk 8 minutes if 10 hurts. In a week or two add 2-5 minutes. Add small increments each week or two.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The trainers I've worn have hardly been used but I may look at getting new ones that might be better.

I have never heard of a foam roller! I'll certainly look that up.

Yeah I guess I will have to do less. I hate how unfit I am that even 10 minutes is too much. Fingers crossed it gets better
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How heavy are you OP?
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    weezy, if it makes you feel any better when I first started getting back into shape I couldn't walk more than like 5 minutes without the muscles in my calves HURTING so I was limping, or bike down the street and back. It does take some easing into it so that it doesn't hurt, but if you start smaller and every time go a little bit longer, you'll be going strong in no time. Also, check the shoes - sometimes not being broken in can be just as painful as too old. Maybe see a proper fitness store about getting fitted to the right activity and foot form?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You're probably wearing shoes with a raised heel, which most shoes have. That tightens the calves and makes them work harder when walking, and it also stresses the ankle. Switch to "zero heel" shoes, such as skateboard shoes or Keds, for example. Also do this calf stretch for 30 seconds every 1 to 2 hours, and right before walking too. Post an update after a couple days. :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The trainers I've worn have hardly been used but I may look at getting new ones that might be better.

Yeah I guess I will have to do less. I hate how unfit I am that even 10 minutes is too much. Fingers crossed it gets better

It really will get better. I was in terrible shape. As in, "avoiding making eye contact with people in the parking lot at work lest they walk in with me and want to make conversation as we walk up one flight of stairs" terrible shape. Starting out with baby steps allowed me to greatly improve my physical conditioning while avoiding injury, which would have been a setback that very well could have been the tipping point between staying on track and giving up entirely.

Try to see fitness as a lifelong endeavor. If you think "I'm going to be active for the next 75 years" working up to a 40 minute walk over a period of three months doesn't seem like such a slow pace.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

...Try to see fitness as a lifelong endeavor. If you think "I'm going to be active for the next 75 years" working up to a 40 minute walk over a period of three months doesn't seem like such a slow pace.

That's awesome advice, and it's pretty much the way I see everything about my lifestyle - fitness, nutrition, etc...I'm really not in a rush, since I have the rest of my life to do this right! <3
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Another thing to look at is your pace and stride.
    Walk slow to begin with with your regular stride and practice good posture.

As you speed up, shorten your stride.

As suggested earlier, footwear is important. If you are looking at walking being your main form of exercise, get walking trainers. They are flat and have the sole roll up the heel for correct foot strike. It is best if you can get a fitting for them.

I was in agony when I first started walking, learning my correct stride was a pleasant revelation. I competitively walk 10km races now. (Struggle with footwear as I have child sized feet :'( )

Cheers, h.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    How heavy are you OP?

I weigh 17st and am 5ft2

Pretty heavy but I think the pain is to do with how awful I've treated my body due to stress and depression. Sometimes I'd go a week without getting up, only to have a bath and go to the toilet, the rest of the day would just be smoking, drinking and ofcourse eating rubbish. So angry with myself!
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    weezy, if it makes you feel any better when I first started getting back into shape I couldn't walk more than like 5 minutes without the muscles in my calves HURTING so I was limping, or bike down the street and back. It does take some easing into it so that it doesn't hurt, but if you start smaller and every time go a little bit longer, you'll be going strong in no time. Also, check the shoes - sometimes not being broken in can be just as painful as too old. Maybe see a proper fitness store about getting fitted to the right activity and foot form?

That makes me feel alot better thank you! I'm glad the pain isn't just me. Definitely going to get these shoes changed
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You're probably wearing shoes with a raised heel, which most shoes have. That tightens the calves and makes them work harder when walking, and it also stresses the ankle. Switch to "zero heel" shoes, such as skateboard shoes or Keds, for example. Also do this calf stretch for 30 seconds every 1 to 2 hours, and right before walking too. Post an update after a couple days. :+1:

They do have a raised heel actually! Well that's good to know that there could be a shoe to help with the pain. Thank you
  • Beezyweez
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It really will get better. I was in terrible shape. As in, "avoiding making eye contact with people in the parking lot at work lest they walk in with me and want to make conversation as we walk up one flight of stairs" terrible shape. Starting out with baby steps allowed me to greatly improve my physical conditioning while avoiding injury, which would have been a setback that very well could have been the tipping point between staying on track and giving up entirely.

Try to see fitness as a lifelong endeavor. If you think "I'm going to be active for the next 75 years" working up to a 40 minute walk over a period of three months doesn't seem like such a slow pace.

This is true! I'm in no rush really. Great advice thanks
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    Another thing to look at is your pace and stride.
    Walk slow to begin with with your regular stride and practice good posture.

As you speed up, shorten your stride.

As suggested earlier, footwear is important. If you are looking at walking being your main form of exercise, get walking trainers. They are flat and have the sole roll up the heel for correct foot strike. It is best if you can get a fitting for them.

I was in agony when I first started walking, learning my correct stride was a pleasant revelation. I competitively walk 10km races now. (Struggle with footwear as I have child sized feet :'( )

Cheers, h.

Oh dear. Footwear isn't my friend either as I have flat wide feet. That's amazing how far you've come. Thank you for the advice!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You don't have to walk for 40 minutes consecutively, try breaking it up into 3/4 x 10 minute walks and build on that as your stamina increases.
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was about your weight (although 2 inches taller) and walking really stressed out my ankles knees and hips too. Take it slow, as others have suggested. I also went to my doctor who told me for every pound you lose, that's about 4-5 pounds of pressure off your joints, so it will get easier with time if you keep with it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd recommend getting fitted for a shoe at a running shop. It made a huge difference for me. Turns out I needed a support shoe.