Eating enough calories

Options
Needing help eating enough good for me calories. I tend to be full a lot but want to consume more calories because I have very low energy levels. It's easier to reach my calorie goals with bad food verses the good of course and I just want good! Can someone help please

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If someone can't reach their calorie goal with "good" foods, it's usually because they define "good" too narrowly.

Some of my favorite calorie-dense foods: dark chocolate, potatoes, pasta, guacamole, rice, red wine, beer, sweet potatoes, mayo, coconut butter, tortilla chips, refried beans, vegetables roasted in olive oil, full fat salad dressings, cashew butter, and pineapple.

Whenever I have some extra calories, I'll add some of these and fix it right up. You can probably make your own list of favorites.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    TCB40Life wrote: »
    Needing help eating enough good for me calories. . . . It's easier to reach my calorie goals with bad food verses the good of course and I just want good!

How are you defining "good"? If you give us an idea of what you're looking for we can do a better job of helping out.
  • carrionsi85
    carrionsi85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I usually hit no more than 1500 calories, but I feel like I'm super full. (Also, I'm pregnant so I'm not trying to be in a deficit. I'm trying to get enough in.) Exercise right now is walking, running, yoga (3x per week), strength (5x per week). I'm wondering if maybe it's because I just started eating smaller meals more frequently? I used to be a big three meal per day person but I feel like I'm going to explode if I eat too much at once. Typical day for me:

Breakfast
    4 egg whites
    Turkey sausage
    Spinach
    Tomato
    Coffee with creamer

Lunch
    Chicken sweet potatoes
    Or
    Tuna in water over salad

Dinner
    Depends, but I'm into ground turkey right now so usually taco salad (no cheese, no sour cream, I'm lactose intolerant so I try to stay away) or something else I can make with it.

Snacks (two or three from this list)
    Fruits
    Quest bar
    Kind bar
    Fairlife milk (2%)
    Halo Top
    Occasional junk food
  • TCB40Life
    TCB40Life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Needing help eating enough good for me calories. . . . It's easier to reach my calorie goals with bad food verses the good of course and I just want good!

How are you defining "good"? If you give us an idea of what you're looking for we can do a better job of helping out.

By "good" I mean good for me healthy foods!
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your using anything labeled light or low calorie, switch to the full flavor. That adds up quickly.

And how are you counting calories? If your not using a food scale, there is a chance you are consuming more then what you think you are, which would add calories.
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Another trick is drop fillers with low nutritional value focus of calorie dense foods... will help u reach ur goals n days when u r more hungry switch to eating for volume this is something I do as appetite always changes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If I have calories available, I have peanut butter or cheese on crackers, ice cream, or a couple of Oreos. If I'm already eating plenty of "healthy" food, there's nothing unhealthy about having a treat!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I usually hit no more than 1500 calories, but I feel like I'm super full. (Also, I'm pregnant so I'm not trying to be in a deficit. I'm trying to get enough in.) Exercise right now is walking, running, yoga (3x per week), strength (5x per week). I'm wondering if maybe it's because I just started eating smaller meals more frequently? I used to be a big three meal per day person but I feel like I'm going to explode if I eat too much at once. Typical day for me:

Breakfast
    4 egg whites - use whole eggs
    Turkey sausage
    Spinach
    Tomato
    Coffee with creamer

Lunch
    Chicken sweet potatoes - cook in oil, add rice or grain
    Or
    Tuna in water over salad - add oil. choose salmon over tuna. add nuts/avo to your salad

Dinner
    Depends, but I'm into ground turkey right now so usually taco salad (no cheese, no sour cream, I'm lactose intolerant so I try to stay away) or something else I can make with it. - again, add oil, serve dinner with beans/grains, make it in to a pasta dish

Snacks (two or three from this list)
    Fruits - eat with nut butter
    Quest bar
    Kind bar
    Fairlife milk (2%) - use higher fat %
    Halo Top - eat icecream....but you said you were lactose intolerant?
    Occasional junk food

• TCB40Life
    TCB40Life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mgookin wrote: »
    If your using anything labeled light or low calorie, switch to the full flavor. That adds up quickly.

And how are you counting calories? If your not using a food scale, there is a chance you are consuming more then what you think you are, which would add calories.

I measure/weigh everything I eat. And have switched to full calorie
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    mgookin wrote: »

I measure/weigh everything I eat. And have switched to full calorie

Nuts, cheese, full fat salad dressing, potatoes, bacon, hummus.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The second reply in this thread gives all the required information.

If you can't fill your calories by using the items on that list then there is something very amiss.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Stop labelling foods as "good" and "bad".

There are no bad foods, just bad eating habits.

I've lost over 100lb eating a combination of nutritious and snack/treats/whatever I fancy.

If you can't meet your calorie goal and are feeling sluggish, then what you're doing is unhealthy for your body. Eating all the "good" foods won't help if you're undernourishing your body.
  • mcmasters06
    mcmasters06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too am new here. I feel I eat more now too.i found what I ate was high and put me over so I've been cutting out the bad now I feel I'm eating more. Maybe seems more due to more stuff and now I'm eating more often.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, when I still have some calories Ieft to log in, I grab a handfull of raw almonds. Very yummy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You might find some ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
    Breakfast cereal
    Heavy cream (in coffee or as a milk replacement in recipes)
    Eating skin on poultry is also a good idea (maybe covered under "less lean cuts of meat"). And speaking of skin... pork rinds or cracklings
    figs, dates, feta, olives
    whole wheat toast with peanut butter, sliced bananas, and maybe some chocolate or honey drizzled over it
    baked sweet potato with black beans, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guacamole etc.
    pita bread drizzled with olive oil and hummus on the side for dipping
    unsalted popcorn drizzled with dark chocolate peanut butter
    tortillas rolled up with lunch meat, cream cheese, regular cheese, or your favorite toppings
    Greek yogurt (go for the higher cal. versions) with chocolate chips, granola, nuts, fruit, and maybe some whipped cream on top
    milkshakes
    bagel with cream cheese and lox, or peanut butter and fruit, or an egg and bacon, or whatever your favorite toppings are
    pancakes or waffles (replace the syrup with Greek yogurt, honey, or fruit if you're worried about it)
    chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches
    baked brie with brown sugar, brandy, and walnuts spread on bread or crackers
    A good, crusty bread dipped in olive oil, garlic, and italian spices
    dates stuffed with goat cheese or chorizo, wrapped in bacon, and brushed with maple syrup
    your favorite cereal with half and half or cream instead of milk (this is amazingly addictive)
    banana or pumpkin bread
    Meatballs with high fat ground meat and cranberry sauce
    buffalo chicken dip with crackers
    risotto
    deviled eggs
    sausage jalapeno poppers
    stuffed mushrooms
    hummus pizza (your favorite pizza but replace the tomato sauce with hummus; so good!)
    Nutella and bananas with bread
    Scrambled eggs with sour cream or cheddar
    Greek salad -- tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, cheese
    Yogurt with honey and almonds or raisins
    Cut up veggies with full fat Ranch salad dressing
    Pasta with butter and parmesan cheese
    Cottage cheese or yogurt with Cheerios or other cereal and fruit
    RIce pudding -- rice with milk, eggs, sugar
    Chips and sour cream
    Walnuts wrapped with dates and cream cheese
    Avocado on toast
    Ham and cheese on a croissant