Runners and Pace

Options
Ryokat
Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
I was thinking about this while out running today. I don't subjectively feel any faster now than I did when I first started running, even though objectively I know I am. Does anyone else experience this?
When I first started out, I was running 12 or sometimes almost 13 minute miles, and now I'm running 10 to 11 minute miles on average. The other day, one of my mile splits was 9:30 (not purposely). I am not trying to run faster (actually I try to make all of my runs "easy") so the fact that I have improved is AWESOME, however, I feel just as slow as I ever did while doing a 12 to 13 minute mile. I originally thought that once I was able to do a 10 minute mile I would feel like I was running at a decent pace, but even at 9:30 I still feel like I am "slogging". Does this happen to anyone else? What pace do you have to be at to feel like you are not just trudging along?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean, and I agree - I am so much faster than I used to be for the same amount of effort (and calories burned too, probably), however, I have days when it's easy and days when it's hard, even though I'm running at the same pace. The difference I can put down to tiredness, muscle fatigue, fuel and hormones. I love those rare days when I feel like I'm flying, but it doesn't happen a lot. Most of the time I have to work for it.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    happens to me too. i still feel as slow as ever, and it always surprises me when i finish my run, look down at my watch and see my actual pace.I wondered a couple of times if my watch was broken actually. Nope,just my brain playing tricks on me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This is why most training is at an easy pace. Whatever you define easy as....
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This goes on forever. I'll do workouts and fret about the pace (thinking I'm too slow) and then reflect for a moment and realize I'm running workouts faster than I use to run races.
  • teenacollie
    teenacollie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find my pace increasing but I intentionally am working to get back to where I was. Things like hill training and interval training will naturally increase your base pace on flat.
    Also I find when I am fighting the elements (rain/wind/snow) i push harder unconsciously and it leads to better splits.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    This is normal. A prominent running coach, Jack Daniels, developed a pace system that has paces from slowest to fastest of E (easy), MP (marathon pace), T (tempo or threshold), I (interval), and R (repeat). Each is used for different purposes in training. Most running is done at E. MP has little physiological benefit, but you train at it to become accustomed to holding that pace for a marathon. T is lactic threshold; running at T builds endurance. I is faster than T, roughly equivalent to 5K race pace. Training at I is designed to increase your lactic threshold, i.e. make all your paces faster. R is roughly equivalent to the fastest you can run one mile. Training repeats at R is designed to force the runner into good running economy, improving form and running efficiency.

The thing is, these paces are *different* for different runners, and change over time and with training for an individual runner. But after you've trained with this system for a while, you learn to recognize easy or T level of effort regardless of what the actual measured pace is.

So yes, over time your paces can get faster; but you don't feel like you're flying at an easy pace, even if easy is now 10:00 per mile and it used to be 12:00 per mile. You feel like you're flying when you run a faster pace, maybe T, maybe you don't feel like you're flying until you run at R. But of course, you can't keep R up for long distances . . . whatever the measured pace of your R is.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I went out on a nice easy run at lunch Wednesday. It felt easy. I was more upset that the footpath that Google said is along the channel doesn't actually exit. 7:31 per mile
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Although about cycling, Greg LeMond said "It never gets easier, you just go faster".

When I started running I could comfortably sustain 11 minute miles, 10:00/mi felt like tempo and I could maybe run 9:00 pace for a 5k and felt like I was going to die at the end. I would feel like I was plodding along at 12:00/mi

Now I run more like 7:00 pace for easy miles, 6:30 for tempo, and I run 5ks at 5:30/mi. Plodding pace for me now is 8:00/mi.

However I *feel* the same now as I did back then. The 5:30/mi 5k today feels just as hard at my 9:00/mi 5k years ago.

I don't feel like I am flying along when I am running my 7:00/mi easy pace.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Although about cycling, Greg LeMond said "It never gets easier, you just go faster".

When I started running I could comfortably sustain 11 minute miles, 10:00/mi felt like tempo and I could maybe run 9:00 pace for a 5k and felt like I was going to die at the end. I would feel like I was plodding along at 12:00/mi

Now I run more like 7:00 pace for easy miles, 6:30 for tempo, and I run 5ks at 5:30/mi. Plodding pace for me now is 8:00/mi.

However I *feel* the same now as I did back then. The 5:30/mi 5k today feels just as hard at my 9:00/mi 5k years ago.

I don't feel like I am flying along when I am running my 7:00/mi easy pace.

Wow, this is a really great way to put it. This describes my experience as well (though I am not as fast as you!).
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The same here. I remember when 12 or 13 minute miles were a struggle for me. Now, I consistently run 9:30 miles and some days I they feel like a struggle. Lately I've been hitting the high 8s and I definitely accuse my app of lying to me. :smiley:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's how it's supposed to be. As you get more fit, more efficient and a better runner, easy is faster.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with the saying 'it never gets easier, you just get quicker'...

I've taken maybe 20 seconds a mile off my 'easy' pace thanks to consistent training for the past 8 months... my runs don't feel any easier though!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I can't say running has ever felt easy :smile:
    I did some aggressive training for an 8k awhile back and got down to about a 8:30 pace for my runs. I ran a 5k race at 8min/mi pace, the 8k race in 8:20min/mi. After that race I scaled back and lost all the speed I acquired. Now over a year later I'm still trying to get back to that pace.

I'm half marathon training and running longer distances. I'm hoping it makes me faster. My goal pace for the half is 9min/mi.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you train at a similar pace, over time you will find your heart rate decreasing. As an example, I have been running the exact same 5km route over the last year and have seen my average heart rate drop from 90% to 75%. Certainly seems easier if not faster. That is progress for me.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's interesting that so many others experience this as well. I wasn't sure if it was a stroke thing since I don't remember ever feeling like this when I ran pre-stroke.

I have to wonder how much progress I can realistically expect to make in my running, because my running economy is probably pretty lousy with my altered gait pattern. I know that I will never be the "natural runner" that I was before my stroke, but it's obvious that I am capable of making some progress.

I guess I will have to continue building my aerobic and mileage base and see where I get to.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've never felt like a natural runner either. I have a very short stride and efforts to change that all end badly. Now, when someone criticizes my running form, I ask if they'd like to join me on my long run Sundays (which are 10+ miles). That usually quiets them pretty quick. Also, due a childhood injury, breathing through my nose is very difficult. Yep, I'm a mouth breather too. :neutral: I will never be one of those graceful, pretty runners, but I get there and I improve. You will too. :wink:
  • teenacollie
    teenacollie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand that too... stride dynamics depend on the runner. My Garmin says i have too much verticle oscillation in my stride unless I'm running 4min km which is stupid fast and I cant do it consistently or maintain it yet. But that's part of our challenge as we continue to run and push ourselves.