Trying to not be afraid of eating fat

Options
2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I average half my macros from fat and it works for me. Im able to stay fuller on less, my hormones are more easily regulated, and I look younger. I love nuts and full fat dairy.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Like @lemurcat12, I was never on the low-fat bandwagon. When I decided to lose weight, I did so by dialing back on portions, not cutting anything out*, and I was getting around 35% of calories from fat. My main go-tos for dietary fat are cheese, olive oil, butter, hummus (a good creamy hummus has a fair amount of oil in it), avocados, more cheese, ice cream in the summer, red meat (in moderation), and still more cheese. (Did I mention I like cheese?)

The main thing about dietary fat is that it's calorie dense, so you need to be more careful when logging it. A digital scale is helpful.

*I did cut out one kind of food from my diet: breakfast cereal. I found that 140 calories of buttered toast keep me sated better than 300 calories of cereal with milk, even high-fiber cereal like shredded wheat with bran. I do occasionally have cereal when traveling, but almost never at home.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

I've added almonds and walnuts to my oatmeal, a half avocado to salads, and occasionally use olive oil to stir fry vegetables.

I understand that we need fat to absorb some vitamins and minerals, for cell growth, and other basic functions. Some kinds of fats raise "good" cholesterol. Fats are essential.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to it, it's really fun to eat a higher fat diet. Personally, I'm a fat fiend lol. I started doing it simply because it sounded like fun to eat bacon and cheese and peanut butter and to still lose weight, and when I read the science on it, it made a good bit of sense. And of course, once you start seeing results, there's no stopping lol. It also ended up working out really well with my IF schedule, because with the additional fat, I found it easier to control my appetite and not eat between my meals.

Go tos for me are CHEESE, nuts (I'm most partial to almonds, pistachios and cashews), greek yogurt, bacon, sausage, eggs, nut butters and dark chocolate (the darker, the better).
    I also like to drink my first cup of tea of the day with a healthy spoonful of coconut oil. I find that the shot of fat on my empty stomach helps keep my appetite more under control throughout the day and stops me from wanting sugary things as much. It also helps keep my digestion pretty regular.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I add coconut oil powder to my coffee -- delicious!
  • gday117
    gday117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add a table spoon of extra virgin (raw) coconut oil to my breakfast and account for the calories etc and always finish off my day with a calorie deficit, gonna see how this goes, as a lot of studies say coconut oil can help reduce fat in abdominal area
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    gday117 wrote: »
    I add a table spoon of extra virgin (raw) coconut oil to my breakfast and account for the calories etc and always finish off my day with a calorie deficit, gonna see how this goes, as a lot of studies say coconut oil can help reduce fat in abdominal area

A lot of studies? Links, please. :)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yep I always thought you need to limit your fat but your body needs fat. Do a Google search on a topic called rabbit starvation.

When I first started this weight loss process I thought I needed to limit my fat but what I found out was that I was still hungry even though I ate my calories. Couldn't figure out why I was always so hungry. I just started looking at the community posts and a couple people brought up the fact that you need fat and they mentioned rabbit starvation and the consequences of totally cutting fat out of your diet. It's a real interesting read.

I still noticed that on the day my fat intake is low I'm more hungry and sometimes it's like my appetite is ravenous and no matter how much I eat I feel like I've havent eaten enough.