Anybody have any healthy Easter ideas?

2»

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I traditionally would make ham, mashed potatoes and fruit salad (plus tons of appetizers and other snacks). Since I've been making different food choices I rarely eat ham anymore (due to nitrates, not calories).

This year am planning on some healthy options - baked steelhead with lemon and dill, jasmine mango rice and the proverbial fruit salad, but without whipped cream.

BTW, Lent is actually about 45 calendar days from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. The 40 days of Lent do not include the Sundays during that time period. I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow as I will be concluding my Lenten alcohol abstinence at sundown on Holy Saturday and have a glass of wine.
    mmm, jasmine mango rice! I think that just made it on the menu.

Thank you everybody. In the kitchen now, prepping for the weekend

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    This fits in this thread (not vegan, of course, but about traditional Easter menus): https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/dining/easter-ham-lamb.html

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2017
    My traditional Easter dinner is baked honeyed glazed ham, asparagus with lemon butter, scalloped cheesy potatoes with chives, roasted dill potatoes, freshly baked scones and usually a pie with ice cream and lemon squares for dessert. :)

Not sure why, but the appetizer is usually ice cold jumbo shrimp with several different dipping sauces.
  • jrae
    jrae Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you everybody! I will put together a lentil loaf, a carrot ginger soup, the vegan devoted eggs and a strawberry rhubarb pie. I really appreciate all input.

That sounds amazing! Nice choices.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Since you're making a loaf, have you ever tried the hippie loaf recipe from happyherbivore.com? It's delicious.

I'd add some sort of veggie side to your menu. I love roasted asparagus with almonds and garlic. Or maybe a fresh salad with oranges and cranberries or something like that?
  • bad_dog_ny
    bad_dog_ny Posts: 22 Member
    I love fresh hummus and baba ganoush usually with crackers or on pita bread. Even just some chunky roast eggplant cubes with garlic and olive oil. And some other spices as appropriate to people's tastes. I mean after all, Jesus was Middle Eastern.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Rabbit stew is healthy. Plus, you get to tell the kids that you're eating the Easter bunny.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    This year will consist of; cucumber salad, pea salad, potato salad, veggie platter, fruit salad, Green beans with almonds, Small ham & Turkey breast, and whatever anyone else decides to bring.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Since you're making a loaf, have you ever tried the hippie loaf recipe from happyherbivore.com? It's delicious.

I'd add some sort of veggie side to your menu. I love roasted asparagus with almonds and garlic. Or maybe a fresh salad with oranges and cranberries or something like that?
    I absolutely love it and almost all her recipes but the recipe I made was based on one by high carb Hannah on youtube :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Rabbit stew is healthy. Plus, you get to tell the kids that you're eating the Easter bunny.
    I'm going to assume that's a joke?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Stay away from those vile marshmallow peeps.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Stay away from those vile marshmallow peeps.
    LOL! Trust me. They were never on any menu in my home
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    stay away from the place im going to eat....bacon wrapped turkey....mashed potatoes with all the butter + cream cheese....all the high cal fixins for a traditional meal...+ ALLL the snacks made with like real butter...and my nemesis the peanutbutter fudgey marshmallow bars....

iv been walking and banking calories alll week i have -6000 this week since monday to use up XD No way i can control self iv been craving a good baked goods binge for weeks lol
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    I'm making dinner for my family. I'm vegan so all the food will be but I can veganize any recipe. Just need to find some good suggestions that my company will like too

I'm going to make this for the first time for our gathering-you could sub the bacon/cheese and mayo with vegan options (I saw vegan labeled mayo last night when I was picking up regular).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14295/seven-layer-salad/
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    I've never associated Easter with any particular food.... Besides chocolate and hot cross buns, but they wouldn't make much of a meal.

Just make what you'd normally make for a dinner party. And maybe have a chocolate dessert :)
    Thank you ! That is the weird part, I don't actually know what Easter food is. So I guess there is no traditional foods?

Ham is usually the go-to centerpiece (just take a look at store ads and they're full of ham deals). Lamb is also popular.

We're hosting this year and the menu is ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, bread/rolls, 7 layer salad (recipe posted above), a family dish that's connected to husband's Dutch heritage (a sweet bread pudding with apples), macaroni and cheese and then Heath bar dessert.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    I'm making dinner for my family. I'm vegan so all the food will be but I can veganize any recipe. Just need to find some good suggestions that my company will like too

I'm going to make this for the first time for our gathering-you could sub the bacon/cheese and mayo with vegan options (I saw vegan labeled mayo last night when I was picking up regular).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14295/seven-layer-salad/
    Thank you very much. I have vegan mayo because my boyfriend eats it. I also know how to make vegan bacon.

I also really appreciate everybody being so understanding about my dietary choices :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

My Dad used to tell us that chicken kiev is fried hamsters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

My Dad used to tell us that chicken kiev is fried hamsters.

And that calls for Marcos Zapata's Last Supper with Cui (basically guinea pig):

osj97eb07r60.jpg