Can I run safely with recent significant weight gain?

Options
Hi all! So potentially silly question, but here it goes:

About two years ago, I used to be what one would consider a "runner". I would average anywhere from 3-6 miles a day, at about 9 - 9 1/2 minutes per mile. And it was amazing! I was light on my feet, I was in pretty good shape and I got to enjoy being outside. However, I stopped running (and working out at all) completely since that time and went from 148 pounds to 210. I can feel the difference the extra weight has put on my body and knees (I had knee problems before though too) and was wondering if running would be a good idea at this point, or do I need to just keep walking and cycling until I lose some more weight? Every time I try to jog, my knees and joints kill me! (They also hurt when I started cycling, but they dont anymore). All that extra weight bouncing around definitely isn't comfortable either, haha.. And while I want to push myself to be better I don't want to unintentionally hurt myself either, because I have never weighed this much in my entire life. So basically I'm wondering, do I need to just suck it up and stop being a baby? Lol also would a different brand of shoe possibly help give more support?

I'm open to any suggestions/ideas/comments!

Thank you for any responses yall may have!

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Have you tried jogging on a treadmill with a slight incline? The incline takes some stress off the knees. You can also start with intervals and work up. Run or jog 1min then walk 1min and build from there.

It is going to be a process but as your weight lowers and the muscles supporting your knees get stronger you will improve. Trying to do too much too fast may risk injury.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    You can work up to safely running, but you shouldn't just go outside and start running today. Start slow with an easy running program like c25k, and ease into it to let your joints and feet and knees and tendons and body toughen up a bit. Lots of people that weigh 210 run just fine, but you gotta start out slow and work up to it, and that is for any weight.
  • nottellingit
    nottellingit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried running when I first started losing weight (at 201 lbs) and was miserable. Then, at around 160 lbs, I gave it another shot and it was so, so much better! I'd recommend going for walks rather than running for at least a few weeks then something like C25K
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to run the way you did before right away. It will take time to get back your speed. You might want to look at shoes with more padding (i.e. Adrenalines if you pronate, Asics Cumulus if you wear neutral shoes, or Hokas). Run on a good treadmill or on dirt or grass to minimize impact. Chaffing might be an issue, so put Bodyglide or RunGuard on your thighs and around your bra.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No. Do not run. You'll screw up the connective tissue in your feet.

Use target heart rate and inclines to power walk at a rate that gets you into either a weight loss or training zone (depending on your goal & what level of effort will not deter you from exercise) until you get down to around 160 or 180 lbs. At that point you can do the 'run 1 minute walk 3 minutes + repeat' thing mixed into your walking schedule, again using target heart rate. Build up to continuous running by flipping no more than 10% more running into the 4 minute block each week, and back off if you have any foot discomfort. This is a simplified version of a way people who were never runners can start running, but in this case you're not looking so much for the cardiovascular conditioning but for easing your connective tissue back into service without tearing anything.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    start small and work up to it. I have run marathon and half marathons and I weigh 193
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A lot of the benefits you get from running you get from cycling fast. Maybe stick to cycling for a while and when you are in better shape start incorporating running into your workouts.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did elliptical workouts for the first 3 weeks of my weight loss and lost around 7 lbs before I did C25K (5'2 SW 207.8, CW 198.4) around 2 weeks ago. This is including more activity in general, but beforehand, I was breathing hard after walking up a flight of stairs. I think you can do it, but go at a slower pace (currently doing 12 minute mile on treadmill during the run portion) and be okay with pausing occasionally to stretch out and everything.
  • wpg2mpls
    wpg2mpls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    No. Do not run. You'll screw up the connective tissue in your feet.

Use target heart rate and inclines to power walk at a rate that gets you into either a weight loss or training zone (depending on your goal & what level of effort will not deter you from exercise) until you get down to around 160 or 180 lbs.

This seems like a very arbitrary range. You can run at your current weight but you should definitely start slowly and build up distance and speed over time. An extra 60 lbs will put more stress on your joints so make sure that you are taking rest days and paying attention to how your body feels. If you start having any aches and pains, ease off.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    With your joint problems I think this is a question for your doctor. I began running at 255, but my joints have never hurt.
  • rcrist_
    rcrist_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful responses! I guess my mind hasn't caught up to the fact that I've gained this weight and can't do as much as I could before lol. But I have been making good progress, just last month I couldn't walk and talk for long without being out of breath, like sheesh! But now I've been doing cycling every day and moderate weight training, and my shortness of breath is gone, so there's some good news! I was wanting to incorporate running into my workout regimen as well, but I'm thinking yall might be right about holding off until a lower weight and starting off slower, so I wont injure myself.

It is a little bit of a bummer since I still have that mentality of wanting to get outside and run for 30+ mins straight lol but that will just have to wait!

Thanks again for all the great responses! I will definitely be trying out some of yalls ideas when that time comes. :smile: