Is maintenance REALLY harder than losing weight?

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Its harder to keep going when everything stays the same. Its also really depressing to come back from a holiday a few lbs heavier and think "oh no, the bad old days are back! (but not as depressing as sticking to a restricted calorie level on holiday ;) ). I rarely step on the scale, instead I measure every couple of weeks and if things creep up then I am much stricter until everything is back under control. Unless you wear really tight clothes ALL the time, it takes a good inch all round before clothes start telling you that you've been naughty - or in my case about 3-4lb.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am liking maintenance more. I really only got maybe 200-250 extra calories over the tail end of my loss phase, but I can deal with that however I want. So, if I want to have carrot cake after dinner (we made one recently, almost 8000 calories, stored in the freezer and I get to eat 1/16 maybe once a week), I will do an Insanity workout and a T25 workout instead of my usual kickboxing workout. Or if dinner is some 200 calorie soup (which I will know because we usually make dinner three times a week and eat leftovers the next day), maybe I will do something easier, like Urban Rebounding. So I feel there is more flexibility with maintenance.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm only into week 3 and it's not been difficult so much as I've had to think about it more so it feels more consuming.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Those are interesting points about losing the excitement of numbers changing on the scale. And actually it's discouraging on something like Happy Scale when it gives me red numbers and shows pounds gained, yet I'm fully under my maintenance goal that I gave it. (I wish it let you put a range and it would stay "green" as long as you're within it so I wouldn't feel like I've failed if I gain a lb ... just all those normal fluctuations.) I know that's silly. Maybe I just need to see if there's a better weight tracking graph that is more maintenance-geared.

Another thought for those struggling with motivation over time or wanting more community with fellow maintainers is to try one of the DietBet maintainer challenges. That could be a good way to keep it fun and motivating since you have to maintain over the course of a year or you lose $$ (or you win $$ if you make your goal)!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Those are interesting points about losing the excitement of numbers changing on the scale. And actually it's discouraging on something like Happy Scale when it gives me red numbers and shows pounds gained, yet I'm fully under my maintenance goal that I gave it. (I wish it let you put a range and it would stay "green" as long as you're within it so I wouldn't feel like I've failed if I gain a lb ... just all those normal fluctuations.) I know that's silly. Maybe I just need to see if there's a better weight tracking graph that is more maintenance-geared.

Another thought for those struggling with motivation over time or wanting more community with fellow maintainers is to try one of the DietBet maintainer challenges. That could be a good way to keep it fun and motivating since you have to maintain over the course of a year or you lose $$ (or you win $$ if you make your goal)!

https://trendweight.com

but it's web based. It uses Fitbit sync for the weight, so weight can be entered through the fitbit app, but to check your trend you would need to open a web page. It's also not flexible with the smoothing days, but I still find it very useful.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When I was losing the thought of maintenance seemed hard because you don't have that deficit that corrects all problems. And yes, I do find myself eating stuff I wouldn't have eaten while losing weight. But the interesting thing is that I don't think about it as much as I thought I would. I've been burning so many calories that if I ate what I feel like I should be eating I would lose weight. I thought it would be the other way around.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's hard for me to make the initial cut in calories to lose, but after a couple of weeks losing is easy. Usually all I need to do is stop eating out more than once a week and stop taking candy from the candy bowl at work. I had an eating disorder when I was in my early 20's so increasing calories is always psychologically difficult for me (even though I've had normal eating habits for 17 years). I start to worry that I am eating too much and I don't have the reinforcement of losing weight to keep me focused (that damn candy jar will be the death of me). Maintenance is easier for me when I stick to a routine and pre-track for the week (leaving some wiggle room for spontaneity) because I feel in control and know I am eating what I need to be healthy. I also suffer less food related decision fatigue. Maintenance gets really stressful when I travel, life gets stressful, or when I forget to pre-plan my meals and I often remind myself I can always hit the reset button tomorrow and get back on track. I also have expensive taste in clothes so gaining enough to need a bigger size is enough motivation to snap me back into line :)
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If maintenance were easy, no one would be overweight.
    Yes, the numbers do seem to speak for themselves.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    why do so many gain their weight back? Because it takes a lot of discipline. Being fat is hard, eating different is hard, you have to pick your hard, yes both are hard but I don't like being fat. Never ending have to be cautious all your life, dirn it.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I was one of those who called maintenance and lost another 15 pounds. Things settled down and now as long as I keep up the exercise, I can pretty much eat what I want. It may take you a while to find your "me weight" and stay there. Don't worry, you'll get there. Look for the Maintainers Weekly Check-in April 2017 thread for some support. The leader (?) changes the name each month. Nice folks and good thoughts.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    I was one of those who called maintenance and lost another 15 pounds. Things settled down and now as long as I keep up the exercise, I can pretty much eat what I want. It may take you a while to find your "me weight" and stay there. Don't worry, you'll get there. Look for the Maintainers Weekly Check-in April 2017 thread for some support. The leader (?) changes the name each month. Nice folks and good thoughts.

I've never gained excess fat when I was exercising. Theoretically, it should be possible, but that hasn't been my experience.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with maintenance is pretty much the same one I have with losing weight ... I don't preplan my menus, follow recipes, have set time to eat .... I just kind of go with whatever is around, quickly cooked up, strikes my fancy ... and therefore the calorie itake escalates or drops daily ... being consistent takes more thought and preparation than I give it. Therefore, that's a part of losing weight that I am learning how to handle and I give myself a practice maintenance session every 5-6 weeks of 'dieting'.