Best food choice at Mexican restaurant

Options
What would be the best item to get at a local Mexican restaurant that does not have the nutrition facts listed or a website? Fajitas?? Taco salad??

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, chicken, or veggie fajitas are a good choice. Either skip the tortillas or get corn instead of flour (they tend to be lower calorie). Anything that isn't drowning in cheese, sour cream, or guacamole would be good, calorie-wise.
    Or, some Mexican restaurants have good seafood dishes if you like that...grilled shrimp or fish and the like.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i would say have a cheat meal eat what ever you want within reason and enjoy the meal then get right back on track, i dont think one or two cheat meals a week will make that big of a difference, i think cheat meals are a good thing when your trying to loss weight,
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always get veggie fajitas without cheese or sour cream and I usually won't eat the tortillas.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Deep fried cheescake! It's my weakness lol. Anything grilled and ask for sauces and topping on the side.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I always get chicken or steak fajitas with no sour cream or guac (don't like them) and black beans. I eat them as an entree as I also can't have flour tortillas, or get lettuce leaves.

Or I get a burrito bowl. That's fun to eat, too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Taco salad is my go to... Sometimes I even eat the fried bowl! I don't mind having a 900 calorie meal though. Without the bowl it's rarely more than 500 as long as it doesn't have a ton of cheese and no dressing (don't need dressing anyway, salsa/Pico de Galo is enough).
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican style tacos. Soft corn shells, steak, onion, cilantro, squeeze of lime, a bit of hot sauce. Yum!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I often get pork carnitas with black beans and white rice. Comes with flour tortillas but I often forgo that so I can have a couple of corona lights instead. We split one basket of chips as a family and my kids eat so many that's built in portion control. :smile:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I get carne asada (thin ribeye) with black beans and guacamole salad. About 600 cals. It's the chips and salsa that get me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Order the fajitas and eat the filling without eating the tortilla. Those tortillas blow up your calories, sodium, carbs, and your whole day.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love fajitas! If I have room for fats I'll usually go with a little sour cream or cheese depending on how I'm feeling (or if I've got room, I go for both!)
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I often get pork carnitas with black beans and white rice. Comes with flour tortillas but I often forgo that so I can have a couple of corona lights instead. We split one basket of chips as a family and my kids eat so many that's built in portion control. :smile:

Kids really are built-in portion control! My (almost) 7 year old definitely eats way more than I do, but you would never guess it by looking at his adorable string-bean self. :smile:
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Order the fajitas and eat the filling without eating the tortilla. Those tortillas blow up your calories, sodium, carbs, and your whole day.

Or, if you'd like tortillas, get corn. They have less calories and carbs than the flour ones.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me I get ceviche. Though it is not really in most Mexican restaurants. I find it more in Peruvian. If no ceviche I just go all out.