Self sabotage/Need motivation

Options
shanwow16
shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
Hey MFP peeps. I've been a member for several years and during my first year during my journey of quitting smoking (nearly 9 years now btw) I was super successful in my weight loss journey. I dropped 30 lbs with diet and excercise and was feeling ah-mazing! I maintained that weight for some time, but somehow over the years slipped back to my all time highest weight. I know it's not the same weight I was originally carrying as I have a lot of muscle mass now, but I have had a recent set back about 7 months ago and I am finding it hard to stay motivated. In September I shattered my right index finger while pitching in a Slo pitch coed game. Took a line drive from a male batter right to my hand and have had two corrective surgeries. Needless to say, losing function of your dominant hand is a little tough.
I know HOW to lose the weight, but there's a part that says "who cares anymore". Maybe it's seasonal depression, the fact that my fav season is starting (ball season) and I can't play, maybe I try to fix everything for my family and forget about ME…and maybe I am just getting older and it's getting harder to lose the weight. Either way, I am finding it so hard because I work my *kitten* off at the gym even with my limitations and I track my food intake…and to no avail zero results. It's a vicious cycle and hard to stay motivated. Sorry for my rant, it's been a loooong time since I've posted. I know this support system has gotten me through before, hoping this will motivate me once again.

Replies

• TrueGrit1906
    TrueGrit1906 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    dropped 30 pounds...that's impressive. i feel your pain. i kill it at the gym and see the scale moving ever so slightly, if at all. this has been an especially tough week with a busy work schedule that has left my energy level at 0 by the time i get home. long day in the office plus minimal gains in the gym and on the bike are easy motivation killers. any help i can offer is yours.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I here ya @TrueGrit1906! Thx for your comment :) Little by little I guess is the way. We live in a world of everything "now". I don't need to be skinny, just feel good in my skin, and feel strong and healthy. I'll be happy with that!
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :)
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Man-a-live my post isn't showing up.
    Make sure to take measurements, the scale may not move but that doesn't mean you're not winning the battle of the bulge.
    Feel free to add me for a supporter.
  • mboutain2001
    mboutain2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have lost 33 lbs 10 or 15 more to go
  • tcwoods627
    tcwoods627 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I loss 26lbs in about 6 months, at one point, had a baby and packed it all back on and then some. I was in a situation like yours. I worked out, calorie counted watched my fat intake and....nothing. I gave up and accepted the fact that I was always going to be overweight. I convinced myself of this for the next year and not only did I become the biggest I'd ever been (225lbs.), but I was having health issues. I decided I needed professional help and started seeing a weight loss Dr. It was only with them that I finally admitted that I had binging problems. They re-educated me on how I should be eating, which was MUCH different then the diet I was on when I initially lost 26 lbs. They also put me on a medication for a brief period of time to help with my excessive cravings and binging episodes. I'm currently down 31 lbs. since my start date of Feb. 1st. I still have about 25 lbs. to go, but I feel that its total accomplishable. I feel empowered now and I'd like that for you. Feel free to add me. Much love.
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hi! I understand your frustrations. I've gone up and down in my weight over the years and have gone to the gym for years without seeing results. I also have hypothyroidism and have dealt with depression. I'm going to add you. I know you can do it.
  • michelle77090
    michelle77090 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is so frustrating, we have all been there, pick yourself up and dust your self off. At least you realize there is a problem, so it can be corrected before it is too late.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I am a former slo-pitch player too, the reason I stopped was because of injury. When you put in so much work and don't see the tangible results it is frustrating. I gave up at one point but don't be like me. Giving was the was worst decision I made and I have such a steeper hill to climb now because of it.