Ladies who lift and work in an office environment!

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Have a larger one tailored?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Been wavering on that option because I normally don't buy very expensive clothing.

I'll be frank - I do most of my shopping at places like H&M and Forever 21, so I don't see myself spending money to get things from there tailored.

But then again, if I do spend more money on the clothing, I could get more use out of it. I want to say that with all my heart, that's what I'll do but I have a feeling that the chances of this happening are very slim.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I wear cotton fitted tshirts instead of button ups. Things with different necklines like from the basics section of target. Throw on a necklace, boom, business casual.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't wear button-ups. I have yet to find one that's comfortable and fits right. All of my tops must be stretchy.

In the winter, I wear sweaters. In the summer, I wear a sleeveless top with a cardigan/wrap-type sweater over it because my office is 50 below regardless of the time of year.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Although I live in a climate with 4 very distinct seasons (and freeze in my office during all of them), I do my best to wear stretchy tops, sweaters, and sleeveless tops with a buttoned shirt (I too am small-chested) or flyaway cardigan. In the Summer, I echo what another poster mentioned about wearing dresses. Other than being completely naked, dresses offer the best air circulation on hot days.

FYI - I've torn the backs of TWO coats (a wool winter pea coat and a trench coat) because of my broad back. Kinda' cool, kinda' not.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Been wavering on that option because I normally don't buy very expensive clothing.

I'll be frank - I do most of my shopping at places like H&M and Forever 21, so I don't see myself spending money to get things from there tailored.

But then again, if I do spend more money on the clothing, I could get more use out of it. I want to say that with all my heart, that's what I'll do but I have a feeling that the chances of this happening are very slim.

Maybe try different shops... I have NEVER found something at forever 21 that fits me. Talk about tiny arms!!! Most of the time I wear short sleeves and then have a scarf/shawl, light jacket, or open sweater/cardigan thingy. My shoulders are too broad and my biceps are too big for fitted tops especially compared to my small chest. I was a naughty schoolgirl for halloween and had to cut the sleeves up to almost my armpits! (I was so proud :P)

Kinda have the same problem with small waist compared to broad hips: I always wear low rise....which means my tops have to be long enough too! I'm 5'9 so a lot of them, specially stretchy clingy ones want to migrate to my belly button and leave 4 inches of skin hanging out.

Getting things tailored is actually way cheaper than you'd think. Yes, you should get better quality, but they'll last a long time and be there when you need them.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I wear cotton fitted tshirts instead of button ups. Things with different necklines like from the basics section of target. Throw on a necklace, boom, business casual.

I like how your pic also looks like your saying "boom, business casual", but the dress threw me off lol.

For all of those "dresses in the office" ladies... what do you wear as shoes? Flats always seem to be uncomfortable and/or make my heels bleed. And where TF do you put your phone/wallet? Leave it at your desk during the day and then purse out?
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Forever21 and, to a lesser extent, H&M, are both geared toward figures that are more waif-like or straight up and down. Forever 21 has a curvy section now, but they don't really cater to womanly figures so much as late adolescent ones. Maybe a store that has a larger range of misses would be better? I buy from Kohls and Target a lot. They have a decent selection of office-appropriate stuff that is affordable and made for women's bodies after age 21.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Forever21 and, to a lesser extent, H&M, are both geared toward figures that are more waif-like or straight up and down. Forever 21 has a curvy section now, but they don't really cater to womanly figures so much as late adolescent ones. Maybe a store that has a larger range of misses would be better? I buy from Kohls and Target a lot. They have a decent selection of office-appropriate stuff that is affordable and made for women's bodies after age 21.

You're probably right.

I'm turning 29 tomorrow...BUT I WANT TO BE FOREVER 21!!!! *sad face*

I am going to try and broaden my horizons when it comes to stores.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It seems pants, shirts, and sleeves don't fit me well. I basically dress exclusively in Calvin Klein office dresses I buy for 39 dollars at Ross or TJ Maxx, and a stretchy blazer or sweater on top. CK dresses usually stretch, are sleeveless yet professional, and seem to fit the gainz perfectly.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Expensive isn't the point. Lasting quality is. I've had $15 shirts from JC Penny's tailored to fit (spent about $15 per shirt cause I took several in at once and got a discount). So for $30 a piece I had some great button down shirts I loved wearing that lasted me for a good three years. Of course, cost of tailoring is dependent on where you live, but if near a decently large city.. you can find some great deals if you drop off multiples.

• ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also go the sleeveless route, but since I built up my shoulders a lot my armpits get strangled sometimes.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Layering seems to work best for me...sleeveless tops with a light or heavy sweater depending on the temperature. And found few tailored suite jackets for a more professional look when needed.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Have you tried men's shirts? They don't fit like a dream, because boobs, but they at least won't cut off the circulation in your shoulders.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Aww I have waivered about putting this in but...
    If you can sew at all, putting a pair of shaping darts down the front of a shirt isn't too difficult, I even do it with dresses.
    I am pretty small breasted, but have a good set of shoulders and a slightly disproportionately wide back. (good thing or I would never find a bra)

I just put the garment on inside out and pin or tack where needs taking in then machine sew, sometimes away from home I hand sew, and get the fit I need.

Cheers, h.

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The title of this made me chuckle, as I totally pictured ladies pumping iron IN the office! :D
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I put on 2 shirts from last summer that fit me fine and this year the shoulders are too tight. I wondered if it was from lifting weights. Hearing you all have similar issues, I guess the answer is yes!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... tighter in the arms/shoulders than they used to be but Very loose in the waist... I can easily wear a small shirt confortable in the waist but have to wear mediums to accommodate my "mass" for some styles. My delts have grown and I still have some stubborn fat on my arms over the muscle growing there...size 11 arms but the rest of me is pretty small...target, h&m and gap have recently worked for me.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Aww I have waivered about putting this in but...
    If you can sew at all, putting a pair of shaping darts down the front of a shirt isn't too difficult, I even do it with dresses.
    I am pretty small breasted, but have a good set of shoulders and a slightly disproportionately wide back. (good thing or I would never find a bra)

I just put the garment on inside out and pin or tack where needs taking in then machine sew, sometimes away from home I hand sew, and get the fit I need.

Cheers, h.

I failed sewing when we had to take it in school. :s:'( And I never learned...which is a shame because I feel like it would help me so much!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Appreciate all the input!

I went to Ross yesterday and tried on a size small in a button up shirt. I laughed because it was WAY too big all around and it just goes to show how effed up clothing sizes are!

I bought some new sleeveless tops...and I'm going to look into getting some pieces tailored.

Thanks everyone!