Home Gyms

Options

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a stationery bike, with moveable arms, an air walker, treadmill, vibro plate, pull up bar, 3 sets of weights and a sit up bench - none of which are used.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I don't know how to post pics, but I built a full Gym and Dojo in my home.
    Bowflex Gym.
    Adjustable Dumbells that adjust from 5 lbs to 55 lbs each.
    Associated benches that adjust.
    Nordic Trak stationary bicycle
    Bowflex Elliptical
    Abdominal Trainer

Unfortunately, over the years I tend to gravitate only to the Dumbbells and the Elliptical before I practice Katas.

I am going to give away the Bowflex Gym and the Stationary Bicycle when we move in 3 years.

I would love to see the pics of it. I think it's easier to post pics using your phone.

• Lavelle1980
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Look on Craigslist for a decent full rack (or Smith), a bench, and weights. That allows free weight and body weight workouts as well as lifting. A decent setup there is running anywhere from $200 to $400 for everything.

i've been looking into this. however, i'm seeing some pretty good tutorials on how to build your own rack. they look simple enough and much cheaper, so i might be going down that road.

This might be an interesting concept.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I have a gym in my garage that is a power rack, bench, weights, barbell, EZ bar, and some dumbbells.
    This is the rack I have: powerline-ppr200x-power-rack.jpg
    It came with olympic barbell and 245lbs of weights. The rack is nothing fancy, but it does that job well, has adjustable safeties, pull up bar, and it's well over a year old, still in tip-top condition (it's in a garage in Florida and used at least 3 times a week). I got it around Black Friday (over a year ago), got a great deal on it. I get more weights from Craigslist. I'm sure around this time of year you could find a bunch of home gym equipment on Craigslist. It's around the time the NY Resolutioners start selling things.

I just started piecing together my home gym in my garage. This is the next thing in my list to get.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    20170331_215608_zpsgeffykyq.jpg

This, plus bench, curl bar and dumbells. It has a pull up bar at the top. Really, this does all I will ever need for strength. I do plan on adding a treadmill soon.
  • jamespalding14
    jamespalding14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a home gym for 25 years. I love it. It's never busy and I never have to wait for equipment. Down side is you miss the social interaction of the gym and without a training partner you don't always get to muscle out those last reps. I started with a squat rack bench press, military press, and incline bench and all Olympic weights. Over the years I've added a selectorized lat tricep station calf raise and Dumbbells from 5 -90 lbs. and an elliptical. My avatar is my gym. If I could offer any advice it would be quality over quantity.
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    Vanguard1 wrote: »

This, plus bench, curl bar and dumbells. It has a pull up bar at the top. Really, this does all I will ever need for strength. I do plan on adding a treadmill soon.

I need to get one then. Seems like it's the do it all workout rack. And will prob save money too.
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    I've had a home gym for 25 years. I love it. It's never busy and I never have to wait for equipment. Down side is you miss the social interaction of the gym and without a training partner you don't always get to muscle out those last reps. I started with a squat rack bench press, military press, and incline bench and all Olympic weights. Over the years I've added a selectorized lat tricep station calf raise and Dumbbells from 5 -90 lbs. and an elliptical. My avatar is my gym. If I could offer any advice it would be quality over quantity.

Nice gym. This is something visual I have in mind as well.

• Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a power tower that has a chest dip area, push up section and pull up/chin up bar. I also bought a cheap bench along with some dumbbells that can be modified with different weight plates. 2 exercise bands, a basketball, a balance ball and an 18in plyometric box. In the kitchen there are two pillars built into (for some reason) and I use that to practice my l sit form/do leg lifts when Im bored. I use a wall in my room for headstand/handstand exercises.

ETA: I'd like to get a small barbell at some point. I do have a gym membership but I hardly use it (only when the weather is at extremes). I'm working on how to fit in a piece of cardio equipment in my room to then possibly cancel the gym membership...but it's nice to have when I want a change of scenery.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've got one in my garage and really like it. If you have the space, then you would probably enjoy having a power rack. Then, you can set the safety bars and not worry about lifting weights alone. Consider checking out craigslist in your area...people move all the time and for that or whatever reason they need to sell their stuff. If you can find a listing when a gym closes down then you can clean house and pick up a bunch of weight plates for cheap. Shipping can be really expensive if you're buying new stuff. Horse stall mats make good flooring in my opinion if you get worried about dinging up your garage floor.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I found that it's cheaper and more motivational to join a gym. It's easier to say not today to a home gym if you have other things to do. Kids, wife, chores, projects, etc. I now work at a place that has a free gym less than 100 feet from my office so it's hard to say not today.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Vanguard1 wrote: »

I need to get one then. Seems like it's the do it all workout rack. And will prob save money too.

Yes, I bought that on Craigslist for $250 last month, I had a half rack pulleys before and sold that setup for $300. I believe a high quality cage is all you need, I feel confident going heavy by myself now. Craigslist is all about patience.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I never get lucky on Craigslist
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I have a Rogue R3 rack, an adjustable bench, a few hundred pounds of plates, and a concept 2 rower. Overall, less money than a gym membership and I don't have to wait for some jagoff doing curls in the squat rack anymore.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at setting up a gym/office in the spare room of a flat I'm buying. Just wondered how big anyone's gym is? The room I'm planning to use is 9.5' square and I'll take 2' out from one wall for a desk.
    I'm only planning on having a bench, dumbbells and barbells, and space for floor work and yoga but would like to be able to add one piece of cardio equipment later on.
    Does this room sound big enough?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance tubes. (I don't drive; the store was a 35-minute walk from home, and I had real doubts about my ability to carry dumbbells home in a shopping bag dangling from my wrist). Over the last few months, I have added
    • heavier tubes
    • resistance bands
    • mat
    • dumbbells (I went back to the store with a bundle buggy)
    • book on strength training exercises
    • cardio step
    • Nerf soccer ball (the book has some warmup exercises that call for a ball; a medicine ball is probably in my future, but that's not required, just an option if I want to make it more challenging)

I also have a Gazelle Edge glider for cardio. I received that eight years ago as a 10-year length of service gift from my old place of business.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a heavy bag and/speed bag. Great exercise and stress reliever