Running Ankle Pain

Options
Running- I hate it but it is a necessary evil to achieve my goals :laugh: I'm currently following to couch to 5K program to get me used to running since I really haven't done it since high school (about 12 years ago). My current goal is to be able to run 2 miles in 18:40 by November. I expect some pain at the begining, however my ankles are killing me!

I have searched all over and causes range from shoes, weak joints, poor stretching etc... I stretch alot, don't think I have week joints, my shoes are about 6 months old so this could be the issue. They don't hurt all day, only for about 2 hours after running. In my mind I'm thinking just keep running and my body will get used to it. I only run 3 days a week and not back to back.

Anyone who has gone through this and found a way to beat running pain please let me in on your knowledge :wink:

Replies

• JulieSmiles1
    JulieSmiles1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mine started hurting when I tried C25K as well. I ended up having tendonitis in my ankles. I would suggest getting fitted for good running shoes.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would start with your shoes. I can tell when my shoes are worn out because I start to have ankle and heel pain after I run. :) I would definitely start with that.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Do you do any other exercise? My ankles started hurting when I started bike riding after running for a few years. Hope yours settle down - but good fitting trainers are essential.
    HTH.
  • LetGoLaughin12
    LetGoLaughin12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If new shoes aren't an option at the moment, try new soles for them. I was having the exact same problem, went to the doc because I thought I might have had a stress fracture. I put new soles in, huge difference! Still alittle pain every once in awhile (mainly when I do something different) but nothing compared to what I was experiencing!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    So, some sources, (and I wish I could tell you which, I'm so sorry) say that stretching too much before you run can loosen your tendons and ligaments leading to pain and injury. I am not saying don't stretch, but since you said you stretch a lot, perhaps you're over stretching?

I'll see if I can find where I read that.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes are the right ones for you and get your gait analysed. They could be brand new but if they're the wrong ones you'll have problems.
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone, new shoes aren't really an option. Plus when I go to basic I'm going to be made to purchase new ones. I don't want to buy new ones now then 3-4 months later buy new ones again. New soles sound like a place I could start.

The stretching thing makes sence. I do alot of foot stretches, shin stretches and ankle rotations before running. I'm going to try to switch to stretching after also and see if it helps :smile:
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    @sucha65, I never heard that term before, so I had to look it up (Google is my friend). I think most who are new to the running game are more used to the terms flat footed, normal, or high arch. Looking at my shoe I do have wear on the outside of my heal which would mean I'm an over pronator. However I did the wet foot test and it came out neutral.

This is the site I found with the info. Just wanted to share it. Has some great info on feet :glasses:

http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/questions/running-and-marathon-faqs/what-is-my-running-gait/
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @sucha65, I never heard that term before, so I had to look it up (Google is my friend).

Google is everyones friend :wink: