Water Retention after Sushi

Options
Anyone else constantly surprised by weight gain after a night of sushi? I know the sauces have a ton of sodium but man the 4+ lb gain in the morning is always such a shock!

Any tips on avoiding the water retention? Should I skip soy sauce entirely? Thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy your sushi and the lovely dippying sauces, then drink plenty of water for 2 days afterwards and flush it out. Water weight = Easy come easy go.
  • ani_terzyan
    ani_terzyan Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That would be way too sensible and easy! Haha, thank you...you're absolutely right. If I'm having sushi, I should just enjoy it fully, right??

Maybe I'll just avoid weighing or logging my weight for a a couple of days. The jump really throws off my weekly average.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Soy Sauce.

You can't avoid it, there a minerals you can take to help with the water retention but it really isn't gonna make enough of a difference. I had sushi last night, gained 4lbs of water lol It's just part of it. Water though is the least of my worries though, I can get the 4lbs of water off by the end of the following day. So enjoy the sushi because there are far worse dietary choices, and in fact sushi is near the top of the best dietary choices IMO
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Most sushi places have low sodium soy sauce, you just have to ask. Also you can buy low sodium soy sauce at any grocery store.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its not just the sauce. The food itself is salty and laden with sodium. Just like eating seafood (like Snow Crab, etc..) it is naturally and preserved with salt.

Not much you can do, but enjoy and amp up the water during the meal (although I need wine with my sushi) LOL and drink water tomorrow. Sometimes it takes me two days after eating sodium laden foods like this...
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love Sushi so I feel ya! Some people use white vinegar to dip instead. I just retain water for a few days and enjoy my soy sauce.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I eat it w the low sodium soy sauce and just drink a lot of water.
    Will flush out soon!
  • idaadam6202
    idaadam6202 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Thank you! I "gained" 3.5 lbs in ONE DAY after eating 2 small sushi rolls. Freaking out a little honestly. Hoping it's just water retention
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Anyone else constantly surprised by weight gain after a night of sushi? I know the sauces have a ton of sodium but man the 4+ lb gain in the morning is always such a shock!

Any tips on avoiding the water retention? Should I skip soy sauce entirely? Thanks!

No, it never surprises me.
  • telour
    telour Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had all you can eat sushi last night; I was surprised that I only gained about two lbs on the scale this morning! I did drink plenty of water and tend to dip my sushi pretty sparingly in soy sauce anyway. I'm not letting it stress me out much today (I'm more concerned with the drinks and food I'll be having at a wedding tonight). I generally slip up a little on most weekends and just aim to be better during the rest of the week.

I didn't even attempt to log my sushi intake for last night, I already knew I'd be well over my allotted calorie goal for the day with that meal. I will say that the sushi was definitely worth the gain I saw on the scale this morning. Even if I ate more carbs in one meal than I probably have in the past two weeks
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Soy Sauce.

You can't avoid it, there a minerals you can take to help with the water retention but it really isn't gonna make enough of a difference. I had sushi last night, gained 4lbs of water lol It's just part of it. Water though is the least of my worries though, I can get the 4lbs of water off by the end of the following day. So enjoy the sushi because there are far worse dietary choices, and in fact sushi is near the top of the best dietary choices IMO

HALLELUJAH! Hahaha. I do love me some sushi, I've been avoiding lately simply due to the fact that I'm still working on impulse control and I gotta be honest with myself, I know I'll sit there and eat 20 spicy tuna rolls if left to my own devices, LOL.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself after I eat things like that. I expect anywhere from a 2-6 lb gain and I don't like to see it. And I don't want to avoid those foods either. I love salt and carbs.