NEED HELP ,on what to eat for weight loss and cooking ideas for busy schedules ??

Options
nicoleexo2015
nicoleexo2015 Posts: 98 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I know I should count my calories and weigh food. This is really time consuming and to be honest I'm not experienced cooker. I was thinking low carb high fat I'm not sure if that's sustainable . I lost weight but gained it all back and some more. I want to do it right but I need help
But what are simple meal ideas for breakfast, lunch , dinner, & snacks to cook ?
I'm full time nursing student & work I'm always on the go. I have addiction to fast food it's costly I really want to stop. I usually eat fast food bc it's quick and I don't have take long time to prepare food . Any meal ideas for ppl on the go ? Websites or resources ? Thank you

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I wash and prepare salad ahead of time and it lasts several days. Then I have all my toppers ready to go in different containers, so I just throw them on, add dressing, and eat. Sometimes I like some of my toppers warm so I microwave them. I'm vegan, so my toppers are usually a bunch of different veggies, and then some baked tofu or chickpeas, or beans and rice. I bake my tofu on the weekends (with a fat-free, low cal marinade) and then divide it into portions, so I don't have to weigh or measure when I get in late and need to eat right away. Your toppers could be anything really, just prepare ahead of time and measure into servings. Then you know exactly what you're getting without having to stop and measure when you're hangry.

I can do the same thing with other foods too, like if I make lentil soup, or Indian style chickpeas. I do the calories for the whole batch and then measure each portion so I know what I'm getting when I open the tupperware and eat it.

Snacks are harder for me, I pack them along with me. I usually eat a lot of fruit and I measure out almonds ahead of time, so I won't mindlessly eat like 7 helpings of almonds (I'm so capable of doing that).

I know I'm not being too helpful with specific recipes here, I don't know if you like vegan foods.... But you could really use the same idea for lots of stuff. Like if you like pasta and sauce, that can fit into a calorie count (I look for a low calorie sauce and usually add extra veggies), but anyway, you figure out a portion that fits your calorie count and pre-measure. All you have to do is pop it in the microwave.

I take my lunch to work too--always a salad actually, but I don't know how well that would work for you, since you're a studen. There are thermoses and other good containers is you don't have a fridge to use (I do this because my work does have a fridge but it's always so full).
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I don't know if this will help, but I wash and prepare salad ahead of time and it lasts several days. Then I have all my toppers ready to go in different containers, so I just throw them on, add dressing, and eat. Sometimes I like some of my toppers warm so I microwave them. I'm vegan, so my toppers are usually a bunch of different veggies, and then some baked tofu or chickpeas, or beans and rice. I bake my tofu on the weekends (with a fat-free, low cal marinade) and then divide it into portions, so I don't have to weigh or measure when I get in late and need to eat right away. Your toppers could be anything really, just prepare ahead of time and measure into servings. Then you know exactly what you're getting without having to stop and measure when you're hangry.

I can do the same thing with other foods too, like if I make lentil soup, or Indian style chickpeas. I do the calories for the whole batch and then measure each portion so I know what I'm getting when I open the tupperware and eat it.

Snacks are harder for me, I pack them along with me. I usually eat a lot of fruit and I measure out almonds ahead of time, so I won't mindlessly eat like 7 helpings of almonds (I'm so capable of doing that).

I know I'm not being too helpful with specific recipes here, I don't know if you like vegan foods.... But you could really use the same idea for lots of stuff. Like if you like pasta and sauce, that can fit into a calorie count (I look for a low calorie sauce and usually add extra veggies), but anyway, you figure out a portion that fits your calorie count and pre-measure. All you have to do is pop it in the microwave.

I take my lunch to work too--always a salad actually, but I don't know how well that would work for you, since you're a studen. There are thermoses and other good containers is you don't have a fridge to use (I do this because my work does have a fridge but it's always so full).

Thank you that is really helpful. I like vegan food and I wish I could become a vegan lol yes taking food to school is a issue sometimes . Buying food on campus is expensive or unhealthy .I'm in class few days out of the week from8:30am to like 6pm. I commute and don't live on campus so no fridge. I want to pack my food but I always worried about food spoiling bc it's very hot/humid where I live. It may spoil in my car bc can't bring my food to class bc of the rules. I just need find something good to store my food in
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tend to use www.mccormick.com and www.theprotienchef.co for a lot of meal ideas. Also, if you are busy you can incorporate smoothies or protein shakes, protein bars, fruits and veggies. I also found meal prep at night has been highly beneficial (especially for things like overnight oats). I buy sushi often for lunch and incorporate fast foods (especially Chipotle and Chickfila).
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live--in the states, Walmart/Target/Kmart (if there are any more) usually sell insulated bags of varying sizes and plastic cubes filled with some kind of gel that freezes well. I keep a bunch in the freezer and trade out the previous day's ice pack for a cold one...

If you don't mind cold leftovers (yesterday I had a leftover bean burrito, ate it cold...) the options are endless. And sandwiches...meat, cheese, lettuce, condiment or if you want vegetarian hummus, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, etc. I typically pack tomatoes separate. As nevadavis1 said, fruit is good on-the-go food...and veggies. You can chop a bunch on the weekend or pm and keep them in the fridge, grab a few to have w/ lunch.

And...we're all addicted to food. If we stop, we die. Don't do that. You just need to redefine your relationship with it. Eat mindfully. Eat slowly, even on the run.

For dinners...consider getting a crock pot (there are lots of sizes, get one that fits you) and putting meals in the pot before you leave...and dinner is done when you get home.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I tend to use www.mccormick.com and www.theprotienchef.co for a lot of meal ideas. Also, if you are busy you can incorporate smoothies or protein shakes, protein bars, fruits and veggies. I also found meal prep at night has been highly beneficial (especially for things like overnight oats). I buy sushi often for lunch and incorporate fast foods (especially Chipotle and Chickfila).

Thank you I will check the websites.
    Do you meal prep for a week at a time or just meal prep the day before ?
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hear you on the heat + no fridge issue! In the past I've used an insulated bag and ice pack--where I failed was remembering to put the ice pack back in the freezer each night for the next day. Honestly, I know a lot of people who will use a protein bar and an apple for a meal when they're going to be out all day like that. For me the protein bars can get expensive too! Like a fast food habit (lol). Depending on the school, there might be healthier options available to buy too? My mother has been through a number of surgeries/revisions for her heart issues now, so I've spent a lot of time at the hospital--I discovered they have a cafe that usually has at least one low calorie soup of the day (usually vegetable or lentil, so lucky me, it's vegan often) that's not too expensive for one cup. It's not too exciting, but it will keep me from a blood sugar low if I really need it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thank you I will check the websites.
    Do you meal prep for a week at a time or just meal prep the day before ?

Depending on what I make, either or. Sometimes I will make big pots of chili, slow cooker recipes or even lbs of chicken for left overs (e.g., chicken parm). For things like overnight oats, that would be nightly.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    Don't know where you live--in the states, Walmart/Target/Kmart (if there are any more) usually sell insulated bags of varying sizes and plastic cubes filled with some kind of gel that freezes well. I keep a bunch in the freezer and trade out the previous day's ice pack for a cold one...

If you don't mind cold leftovers (yesterday I had a leftover bean burrito, ate it cold...) the options are endless. And sandwiches...meat, cheese, lettuce, condiment or if you want vegetarian hummus, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, etc. I typically pack tomatoes separate. As nevadavis1 said, fruit is good on-the-go food...and veggies. You can chop a bunch on the weekend or pm and keep them in the fridge, grab a few to have w/ lunch.

And...we're all addicted to food. If we stop, we die. Don't do that. You just need to redefine your relationship with it. Eat mindfully. Eat slowly, even on the run.

For dinners...consider getting a crock pot (there are lots of sizes, get one that fits you) and putting meals in the pot before you leave...and dinner is done when you get home.

You are right about redefining my relationship with food. Thank you for all the advice . I Didn't think about the crockpot
  • michellcxc
    michellcxc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat cleaner now, and what I suggest (as a student who also doesnt have time to be playing around in the kitchen) is for breakfast get some low sugar granola with flax seeds, chia seeds etc and all those goodies (because yes please lets be healthy) and buy some greek yogurt and simply take that with you. So quick and easy and fills you up well :)) Even better with berries of course.

In terms of lunch and dinner, I am still working on that because I'm not really willing to wake up earlier to make some fancy salad and cook eggs at 6am (lazy I know) and take to college, but if your buying fast food you're spending money anyway, so you could (to start) opt for places like itsu or Wasabi (UK), and get a fish based meal or something with greens :))
    Or, if saving money like me, buy those ready made salads/meals from supermarkets that you can eat cold, put in microwave or fry.
    -
    No idea if this helped aha, but hope it did in some way ☺️.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Yes, I hear you on the heat + no fridge issue! In the past I've used an insulated bag and ice pack--where I failed was remembering to put the ice pack back in the freezer each night for the next day. Honestly, I know a lot of people who will use a protein bar and an apple for a meal when they're going to be out all day like that. For me the protein bars can get expensive too! Like a fast food habit (lol). Depending on the school, there might be healthier options available to buy too? My mother has been through a number of surgeries/revisions for her heart issues now, so I've spent a lot of time at the hospital--I discovered they have a cafe that usually has at least one low calorie soup of the day (usually vegetable or lentil, so lucky me, it's vegan often) that's not too expensive for one cup. It's not too exciting, but it will keep me from a blood sugar low if I really need it.

lol yes my fast food habit is expensive I didn't realize I'm wasting $200-300 on fast food for every meal . We have healthy choices like Salads, sushi, vegan food , etc. it costs little more . But if I plan my meals out more I'll save money. I would usually not eat all day and then have one big meal from fast food restaurant . Eating this stuff also takes toll on my health. I'm tired with low energy all the time . I don't want health problems from it . I changed my lifestyle before and avoid gallbladder surgery bc pain went away . But now it's returning from my eating habits
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    michellcxc wrote: »
    I am trying to eat cleaner now, and what I suggest (as a student who also doesnt have time to be playing around in the kitchen) is for breakfast get some low sugar granola with flax seeds, chia seeds etc and all those goodies (because yes please lets be healthy) and buy some greek yogurt and simply take that with you. So quick and easy and fills you up well :)) Even better with berries of course.

In terms of lunch and dinner, I am still working on that because I'm not really willing to wake up earlier to make some fancy salad and cook eggs at 6am (lazy I know) and take to college, but if your buying fast food you're spending money anyway, so you could (to start) opt for places like itsu or Wasabi (UK), and get a fish based meal or something with greens :))
    Or, if saving money like me, buy those ready made salads/meals from supermarkets that you can eat cold, put in microwave or fry.
    -
    No idea if this helped aha, but hope it did in some way ☺️.

lol that was helpful and I don't enjoy cooking either tbh.
    I'm not morning person so I'm always rushing out the door
    I like Greek yogurt and they even sell it at our school
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A little time management will help. Find a quiet day on your schedule, once a week, and make a big batch of something. Chillies and stews are cheap, filling, and scalable. Portion and weigh out your meals all at once. All but two will go in the freezer. Do this for a few weeks and you will have all sorts of home made inexpensive pre portioned meals ready for you.

Here are four bulk cooking recipes, super easy, to get you started.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

Have canned salsa, spaghetti, Alfredo, and curry sauces as you please to dress up your chicken different days.

http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-baked-brown-rice-177017

You can make these meatballs with or without the sauce.

https://cookbookhoarder.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/swedish-meatballs.pdf

Instead of meatballs you can also form the meat in to a meatloaf. It cooks longer. Meatballs and meatloaf freeze well and you can use the same sauces listed above to dress them up.

And a great chilli:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-black-bean-chili-230632/amp

You can skip the green onions and the cheese at the end and it is still great.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not a student, but don't always have time or like a big lunch so I Have high protein shakes(pre made) protein bar ,or those Sargento Balanced breaks (cheese , nuts raisins or cranberries) or P 3 (Which is similar, just a different brand) w yogurt and a piece of fruit or handful of grape tomatoes carrots or celery sticks, They also go well as a salad topper w light dressing. I don't know your likes or dislikes besides you love fast food, But you can bake and season some chicken breast , fish , whatever protein you have on hand, and portion it out for a few meals. For say salads, w rice or beans, potato, or pasta.They have Steamable veggie , potato and rice blends that are quick and u can just add whatever protein to it and go... If you can, invest in some various sized containers, insulated lunch Bag for easy portability . And A Cookbook for beginners. And if find yourself at a fast food restaurant there are always better choices. Salads w Grilled chicken or grilled chicken sandwich, watch the heavier dressings or extra mayo...bacon, cheese.. I get a kids meal sometimes , (smaller portion...) Wendy's has baked potatoes, yummy w their chili and broccoli if you like that, and filling! It does take a bit of thought and planning, but you can find what works for you and your schedule and ability. You can fit treats in there too, EVERYTHING in MODERATION.
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A little time management will help. Find a quiet day on your schedule, once a week, and make a big batch of something. Chillies and stews are cheap, filling, and scalable. Portion and weigh out your meals all at once. All but two will go in the freezer. Do this for a few weeks and you will have all sorts of home made inexpensive pre portioned meals ready for you.

Here are four bulk cooking recipes, super easy, to get you started.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

Have canned salsa, spaghetti, Alfredo, and curry sauces as you please to dress up your chicken different days.

http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-baked-brown-rice-177017

You can make these meatballs with or without the sauce.

https://cookbookhoarder.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/swedish-meatballs.pdf

Instead of meatballs you can also form the meat in to a meatloaf. It cooks longer. Meatballs and meatloaf freeze well and you can use the same sauces listed above to dress them up.

And a great chilli:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-black-bean-chili-230632/amp

You can skip the green onions and the cheese at the end and it is still great.

Thank you so much . These are the type of recipes I was looking for simple and easy
  • nicoleexo2015
    Options
    tamawamara wrote: »
    I'm not a student, but don't always have time or like a big lunch so I Have high protein shakes(pre made) protein bar ,or those Sargento Balanced breaks (cheese , nuts raisins or cranberries) or P 3 (Which is similar, just a different brand) w yogurt and a piece of fruit or handful of grape tomatoes carrots or celery sticks, They also go well as a salad topper w light dressing. I don't know your likes or dislikes besides you love fast food, But you can bake and season some chicken breast , fish , whatever protein you have on hand, and portion it out for a few meals. For say salads, w rice or beans, potato, or pasta.They have Steamable veggie , potato and rice blends that are quick and u can just add whatever protein to it and go... If you can, invest in some various sized containers, insulated lunch Bag for easy portability . And A Cookbook for beginners. And if find yourself at a fast food restaurant there are always better choices. Salads w Grilled chicken or grilled chicken sandwich, watch the heavier dressings or extra mayo...bacon, cheese.. I get a kids meal sometimes , (smaller portion...) Wendy's has baked potatoes, yummy w their chili and broccoli if you like that, and filling! It does take a bit of thought and planning, but you can find what works for you and your schedule and ability. You can fit treats in there too, EVERYTHING in MODERATION.

Thank you so much very helpful . I'm not picky eater I eat everything but walnuts,almonds, peanuts, cashews. I have question about high protein shakes. What brand do you use or suggest for a breakfast? Or homemade ones ?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, great cooking comes from practice, and getting some of these basics down.

After you get confident with a few basic recipes, you can experiment making your own sauces.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...as Nevadadavis pointed out Salad jars are great.
    Also the George Foreman grill is your friend. In 8 minutes it cooks up meat perfectly and with different seasonings and marinades you'll never tire. My George foreman grill and I are in a "relationship".
    Also for about $8 you can get a microwave rice cooker where you can also cook quinoa.
    At WalMart I've seen these microwavable vegetable pouches (for about $1.29 a serving) which are super convenient.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options

This! You can make anything in a crock pot and just a few minutes spent on websites like Pinterest will give you more recipes than you could ever possibly make! :)