Making progress, don't want to lose it! But huge appetite increase?

Options
I'm a 27 years old, 5'6" female. I fluctuate between 140-145, and want that to be more around 135-140, though my main focus is reducing body fat. Since I have so little to lose, I understand that there isn't a lot of wiggle room. I set MFP to go down by .5 lbs and was assigned 1,490 a day at a sedentary level of activity (I'm a writer). I eat back part of my exercise calories, which primarily are from stretches and body-weight training, and using an under-desk elliptical during the day. I try to get in at least an hour of physical activity a day, though adding in the elliptical it's usually more 2+ hours (I've done as much as four in a sitting). But that's pretty mindless even though I have resistance set fairly high, so I log it as slow walking 2.0 miles an hour and, again, eat half that back.

I've been doing pretty well with eating my calorie allotment since I restarted MFP and have noticed a few visible changes. That being said, these last couple of weeks have been so hard for me; my hunger has increased a lot over the last month or so, and lately I've been eating over my allotment almost everyday. To the point that I've upped my calories to my goal-weight maintenance, which is 1,710 before exercise.

I have a history of binge eating, so I'm worried that upping my calories might just allow me eat more when I shouldn't, but I'm not sure what to do about just...suddenly being hungrier? I don't want to lose my progress, and I don't really know where to go from here. Advice? Accountability partners? Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How are your macros? Most people are satiated by some combo of protein, fat, and fiber. How do those numbers work for you?

And have you had any unusually stressful situations over this time period? Stress def increases my appetite!
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My protein consumption isn't has high as it could be, but I've making an effort to eat more of it, especially recently. My diet is a bit more carb-heavy (oatmeal for breakfast--weighed out of course) but it's fairly balanced (lots of veggies, beans and legumes, some animal proteins). Recently there have been a lot more sweets though. Or I take extra portions at lunch and dinner. Or both :(

Not sure about the stress. There is stress, but no more than usual? And I'm actually in a much, much better place than I was a few months ago.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Yeah, I eat all the carbs too :). If your logging has been consistent try looking back at a week from a couple of months ago, and compare it to the last week. Is there something you were eating then that you aren't now, or vice versa? Does anything else jump out?

Also, is it your TOM? I usually get a little crave-y around that, but every once and awhile I have a hormonal week where no amount of food will satisfy me! Honestly I do basically what you are - I eat maintenance for a week or 2 and then get back on the horse.
  • chetmcgensy
    chetmcgensy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eat fiber. also try eating based on schedule. i binge eat too. but i just lost 45 lbs in 4 months by eating on timed schedule i just eat every 2 hours. between those times when i get hungry i would just drink water. which meant i would drink a ton of water during the day. but water is good for you and no calories. you can also flavor the water with no calorie sweetners which help.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »
    My protein consumption isn't has high as it could be, but I've making an effort to eat more of it, especially recently. My diet is a bit more carb-heavy (oatmeal for breakfast--weighed out of course) but it's fairly balanced (lots of veggies, beans and legumes, some animal proteins). Recently there have been a lot more sweets though. Or I take extra portions at lunch and dinner. Or both :(

Not sure about the stress. There is stress, but no more than usual? And I'm actually in a much, much better place than I was a few months ago.

One more thing. I'm all about not cutting out any foods, but you mentioned the extra "sweets" and maybe you are more sensitive to the sugar rush? I find I do better eating sweets right after a meal (so the sugar isn't hitting my system by itself). Maybe you could look into a protein shake or something to give you a little "sweet" while upping your protein at the same time. Or try to find sweet treats that also give you some protein or fiber - like a piece of fruit with a string cheese, or chocolate chips mixed in ricotta or cottage cheese.
  • Saaski
    Options
    @kimny72 That's a good idea, looking back at my diary. I just did...and it looks like, for the most part, I'm eating the same things, just more of it. Instead of one serving of dinner, I'm having two. Instead of a little ice cream after a meal, I'm having it as a snack at some point also. 14 grams of cashews becomes 28 grams.

Hm. Going over my diary now, it looks like in the last two weeks, I've overeaten five days out of the fourteen. Not great, but not terrible? That includes the last few days where I upped my calories though.

I've had the cravings during TOM (usually chocolate, and after a couple days I go, "Oooh") but it's not close to the level it's been now. Though...it does look like I've been a little better at eating within my goals as I thought. Hm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm always way hungrier the 2 weeks before my perid.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is the weather changing where you are? I'm way more active (and for a longer day) in spring and summer so I eat more.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining weight or losing? It could be you are exercising more than you think. Are you drinking enough water? It has been hot lately. Sometimes when I'm thirsty, my body will tell me I'm hungry. I also find when I'm bored or tired I'll eat a lot more.
  • Saaski
    Options
    @brznhabits It is definitely getting warmer, but I don't think I've been any more active? Just going for a few more walks, but I try to log that.

@spiriteagle99 That's actually one of the reasons I'm worried; I haven't been gaining weight past my usual fluctuation, but I have noticed my stomach look a little squishier lately. I do my best to stay hydrated though! I've always got a water bottle with me. I get the eating when bored or tired--I'm very prone to that. Comes with bingeing, for me =/
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is but my appetite had increased a lot too since I've gotten thinner which seems to be counter intuitive. I'm also really close to my goal weight at 5 foot 8 and a half and around 135 pounds but I think it's also because I recently got to go ahead to start working out again ( my patella was fractured.) eating more hasn't affect my weight so far but it's hard because I'm used to eating more and psychologically it makes me feel out of control
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »

Sweets count for nothing towards my fullness - they are completely 'empty' calories for me. I need to exercise more to fit more than a small amount of sweets into my calorie budget.

Protein and fiber do fill me up.