Do you track bites while you cook?

Options
RedheadedPrincess14
RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
If you're cooking or meal prepping and you taste the food as it's cooking in order to check if it's ready, do you track that? I personally dont but I've been food prepping for Easter and tasting a bunch of different stuff so now I'm getting worried that my cal count is completely off.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Just quick add 50ish cals if you're a data junkie like me. I don't add tastes of things like tomato sauce but if I'm tasting stuffing or mashed potatoes I'll quick add
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Just quick add 50ish cals if you're a data junkie like me. I don't add tastes of things like tomato sauce but if I'm tasting stuffing or mashed potatoes I'll quick add
    sorry, this may sound stupid but how do you quick add? Thank you btw

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    No, I dont
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    sorry, this may sound stupid but how do you quick add? Thank you btw

On the website, click on the phrase "Quick Tools" below the meal that you want to quick add to. You'll get a pull-down menu, and the first option is "Quick add calories."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't. I really don't have the energy to work out how many calories are in a taste of this or that. Talk about putting stress levels through the roof!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on how tight I have to be with my logging.

I have logged tastes from food prep, grandson's offerings, and Costco when I have felt it has been needed.
    At the begining, room for error, and the end (maintenance, wiggle room) of my weight loss, not so much.

All that being said, if I had problems, they would be the first thing I would tighten on.
    The second would be my morning orange, that just got a generic count.

Cheers, h.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking or meal prepping and you taste the food as it's cooking in order to check if it's ready, do you track that? I personally dont but I've been food prepping for Easter and tasting a bunch of different stuff so now I'm getting worried that my cal count is completely off.

I track everything that I eat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    its easter your likely to go over anyway dont worry bout it. But if you were to do it often id do the quick add and overestimate bites can add up hella quick. I do that for at work i cant help myself so ill track 200-500 cals just so im damned sure i overestimate for my calculations XD
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I only take 'bites' of what I've already measured, no extras.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options

This is such good advice! I know I'm not the OP, but thank you. I've been just trying to avoid any bites while eating, but sometimes you do need to taste a bite to make sure it's coming along okay.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My mother always said, there are no calories in anything you eat leaning over the sink.

I use that philosophy when tasting cooking.

Realistically though, given a serving of whatever dish is always going to be an estimate, then if you log the dish when you eat it the sip of sauce is negligible and really can be incorporated into your serving.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No. Chefs however should be mindful of it.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody !! You guys are the best
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually don't log it but next time I will quick add too. Usually I munch on the veggies that were supposed to go to the food :P
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking for more than just myself, what I do is just short myself a few grams of the item I tasted. Like if the sauce I just made weighs out to 102 grams per serving, I'll take 95g instead of the full serving I've got logged in my diary. That makes the tasting part of my serving, so it's all accounted for. :) I don't bother actually weighing each bit of what I taste though, I just estimate how much to take away from my food--because that would be a huge hassle!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Tastes are included in my portion sizes, everything I cook from scratch is entered as a recipe and split in equal portion sizes on mfp but I usually give myself a little less than hubby therefore any tastes during cooking are already accounted for.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Not always...but I will round up my calorie intake on that meal to cover the taste test items.
    I am guilty of "testing" noodles a bit more than necessary.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    Tastes are included in my portion sizes, everything I cook from scratch is entered as a recipe and split in equal portion sizes on mfp but I usually give myself a little less than hubby therefore any tastes during cooking are already accounted for.
    That is usually what I do but since I'm cooking for a bunch of people I don't think that the presentation. Will look as aesthetic if it's pre-portioned. It's also why I was taking so many bites- I want the food to be delicious and perfectly done. Great tip though ! Maybe I'll just try to serve myself a little bit less and it'll even out!
    Usually, I don't have to worry about that because I make separate food for me than my boyfriend.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Not always...but I will round up my calorie intake on that meal to cover the taste test items.
    I am guilty of "testing" noodles a bit more than necessary.

Lol! Noodles are sooo good.