14 month old very sick

Options
lalecrax
lalecrax Posts: 19 Member
Hey guys,
My 14 month old has caught a virus and has a runny nose and very bad cough. At night his cough is real bad he just woke up from his nap choking.

I've given him nurofen about an hour ago and also rubbed some baby vicks on his chest before bed.

Eucalyptus smell around as well. Nothing seems to help. Is there any tips and tricks to get him over this flu/virus quicker? I'm sleeping with him tonight afraid he'll choke again.

Mummies help?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You should take, him to; the hospital! He might've Whooping Cough, which's potentially fatal if; it's untreated properly!
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already he needs to see a doctor. The choking is serious. Otherwise you can elevate the head of his bed or let him sleep in a swing or bouncy seat so his head is upright. Also try a humidifier....but definitely, head to the doctor pronto!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hospital ER NOW!!!
  • lalecrax
    Options
    You should take, him to; the hospital! He might've Whooping Cough, which's potentially fatal if; it's untreated properly!

There's a virus going around a bad flu. I've been doctors sunday and today. Unfortunately he said he hafto stick it out. If he does have heavy breathing or does choke from mucus again i am definitely going emergency
    Thank you love
  • lalecrax
    Options
    If you haven't already he needs to see a doctor. The choking is serious. Otherwise you can elevate the head of his bed or let him sleep in a swing or bouncy seat so his head is upright. Also try a humidifier....but definitely, head to the doctor pronto!

Hello yes i went doctors on sunday and also this morning for a follow-up. They said it is a virus going around unfortunately.
  • lalecrax
    Options
    Thanks guys. I been docs sunday and today. Its a virus going around unfortunately. I went to a play center and a stupid parent brought her sick kid there and got other kids sick with the contagious flu. Ugh this is so painful.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bulb aspirator? Little ones don't know how to blow their noses so they keep swallowing all that mucus. You could try cleaning out his nose with one of those. Help him breathe a little better.
  • lifting_momlife
    lifting_momlife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    fluids! lotsa fluids. it keeps the mucus thin, so if there's any gunk in the lungs its easier to come up. try baby vicks on his little feet and put some sockies on. idk what the trick is with that but it really works. also, since he's 14 months he can have honey, so maybe try to give him a spoonful of that? it might help calm the cough some and coat his throat. they do sell OTC honey cough syrup for little ones here, so maybe check your local drug store. keep him propped up while sleeping, it'll help with congestion and prevent him from choking on it going down his throat. i second the aspirator. get some saline spray, shoot it in there and let it sit for a min or so. then suck all that nasty out. he's probably gonna hate it and fight you, but it'll help so much. steamy showers will help with congestion, too, and maybe open his chest some. lastly, a cool mist humidifier or vaporizer, whichever you can get your hands on. good luck, hun! prayers for your boy.
  • lalecrax
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    Do you have a bulb aspirator? Little ones don't know how to blow their noses so they keep swallowing all that mucus. You could try cleaning out his nose with one of those. Help him breathe a little better.

I do but cleaning out his nose is a nightmare. Makes him much worse.
  • lalecrax
    Options
    fluids! lotsa fluids. it keeps the mucus thin, so if there's any gunk in the lungs its easier to come up. try baby vicks on his little feet and put some sockies on. idk what the trick is with that but it really works. also, since he's 14 months he can have honey, so maybe try to give him a spoonful of that? it might help calm the cough some and coat his throat. they do sell OTC honey cough syrup for little ones here, so maybe check your local drug store. keep him propped up while sleeping, it'll help with congestion and prevent him from choking on it going down his throat. i second the aspirator. get some saline spray, shoot it in there and let it sit for a min or so. then suck all that nasty out. he's probably gonna hate it and fight you, but it'll help so much. steamy showers will help with congestion, too, and maybe open his chest some. lastly, a cool mist humidifier or vaporizer, whichever you can get your hands on. good luck, hun! prayers for your boy.

Thanks hunny that's a great help. Oh brilliant I'll give him some honey now. The vaporizer is the first on my list today.
  • cassandrarodriguez89
    cassandrarodriguez89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    lalecrax wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    My 14 month old has caught a virus and has a runny nose and very bad cough. At night his cough is real bad he just woke up from his nap choking.

I've given him nurofen about an hour ago and also rubbed some baby vicks on his chest before bed.

Eucalyptus smell around as well. Nothing seems to help. Is there any tips and tricks to get him over this flu/virus quicker? I'm sleeping with him tonight afraid he'll choke again.

Mummies help?

My son had this when he was little. The good news is your son is building a strong immune system. Make sure you keep tylenol and moltrin handy. My pediatrician recommends using one, if it doesnt bring fever down in an hour use the other in combination. Fever is the biggest concern. Make sure your son is getting enough fluids IF HE HAS ISSUES KEEPING DOWN FOOD GIVE HIM PEDIALYTE. I highly recommend co-sleeping when baby is vomiting in their sleep. My son caught a stomache virus and if it was not for co-sleeping he would had died because he would drown in his own vomit. He literally would just lay on his back suffercating on his vomit. The first time it happened I LUCKILY woke up in my sleep to the choking noises. After that he slept with me for a few days. RUN A VERY HOT SHOWER IN BATHROOM, bring baby in the bathroom and let the steam soak baby. It will not be hot, if it is then open door a little to let in some cool air. The steam will loosen mucous making it come out better. Run your humidifier in the bedroom too. Your other concern is STRESS. The more stress the more sick your baby will be. Stress leads to illness. Limit crying as much as possible, spoil your son. So if he likes playing with balls play ball, if he hates going in cars do not go in the car. Have hubby or family/friends run your arrends. Keeping your son happy will result in him recovering faster.

My son was sick A LOT after 3 months because I took him to my gym daycare. He is now 1year old and is no longer sick. He has immunity to everything and anything he does not have immunity to he fights off easily :D

Good luck!!!!! Remember to head to hospital if fever is TOO HIGH. Do not wait or ask, look up what tempeture is dangerous. If the fever gets too high a seizure could happen which can be DEVASTATING on a baby brain.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    When mine were younger, I spent many a night on the floor in a closed up bathroom while I ran the shower very hot until the hot water ran out. One of the better things you can do to help them breath easier
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    fluids! lotsa fluids. it keeps the mucus thin, so if there's any gunk in the lungs its easier to come up. try baby vicks on his little feet and put some sockies on.

It's because the skin of the feet will absorb the Vicks. It has also been suggested that putting sliced onions on your feet overnight will also draw out any toxins.

Putting a sliced up onion in the room, next to the bed is also supposed to draw the toxins out of the air, helping sick people to recover faster.
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Simply saline pediatric nasal spray.... It's just a gentle saline mist that will help loosen up what's in his nose and clear out the sinus... Also will help make the bulb syringe more useful and easier
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Don't take medical advice, particularly regarding a sick child, over the Internet.

If you are concerned about a health issue that is beyond your scope to manage then seek an appropriate medical opinion.